Recommitted Dylan Shiel [OOC 2024; reports he may move? Dodoro says he is a 'required player']

Remove this Banner Ad

For the Shiel trade to not seem conditional on the Gresham deal, dodo is setting the scene to be able to say:

“We weren’t even planning to trade Dylan when we recruited jade.”

But obviously it was going to happen all along.
Yep. It's a classic list manager's play. Say a bloke who wants out is a required player. Wright said the same thing about Taylor Adams, and nobody thinks he'll be at Collingwood next year.

Still more likely to move than stay.

I know things can change but dodoro was pretty emphatic that Shiel is staying.

I think Shiel to Saints ended up going no where
Vicmedia will be disappointed after their column filling draft rorting idea of Shiel attracting Band 1

Dodoro putting his well known stamp on his last trade period - he's a winner, we'll miss him

I think the Bombers weren't keen to pay a Gresham band 1 contract. Without the incentive of band 1 compo for Gresham Saints wouldn't have wanted to give up anything meaningful for Shiel. Essendon could always still give him away for nothing as a salary dump but they may not want to given they supposedly have heaps of room in their cap.

I think the Bombers weren't keen to pay a Gresham band 1 contract. Without the incentive of band 1 compo for Gresham Saints wouldn't have wanted to give up anything meaningful for Shiel. Essendon could always still give him away for nothing as a salary dump but they may not want to given they supposedly have heaps of room in their cap.
Yeah spot on. If Essendon can bring in these players and still keep Shiel, they might as well do so, as when he comes off the books in a couple of seasons it will free up more cap to play with. He’s kind of safeguard cap space for when we will likely need it most.

That's a lie, you lose speed as you get older. Dangerfield looks like a former shell of the player he once was.

What part of 'mysteriously slow all of a sudden' was unclear?

Yes, speed declines over time as you age. It doesn't suddenly vanish without very specific injuries e.g. hamstring.

Dangerfield is still fast, even after hamstring issues. He's not the player he was, but he's not suddenly or mysteriously slow either.

Shiel hasn't had hamstring issues that would compromise his speed due to injury, and despite being 'older' he's still going to be faster than the current Saints midfield group.

Thats exactly what the theoretical trade was?

Essendon take Gresham on Band 1, we get the band 1 deal compo and Saints get Sheil for essentially free as we pay his 2024 contract.

We could just offer Gresham wat he's worth and the saints just get the 30's.

same same but different.

Dangerfield is still fast, even after hamstring issues. He's not the player he was, but he's not suddenly or mysteriously slow either.
Dangerfield isn't close to be the same player that he once was, he has lost all that explosive speed and pace that gave him an edge but has gained expirence that offsets the loss.
Shiel hasn't had hamstring issues that would compromise his speed due to injury, and despite being 'older' he's still going to be faster than the current Saints midfield group.
Faster than Mitchito? Faster than Matteas? Because that is who is being folded into our midfield. A guy with soft tissue injuries has got more pace than two 20 year olds but hey whatever you say

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Usain Bolt won Olympic Gold in the 100m at the same age Dylan is right now.
The nature of AFL Football means our athletes unfortunately have relatively short careers compared to other sports where many athletes are known to play into their 40's (NFL, NBA, MMA, Boxing, Tennis etc.)

There's a reason why blokes retire from the AFL and go on to be at the level in good local competitions just years afterwards, despite having been leagues ahead in their physical prime.. It's a brutal sport.

The nature of AFL Football means our athletes unfortunately have relatively short careers compared to other sports where many athletes are known to play into their 40's (NFL, NBA, MMA, Boxing, Tennis etc.)

There's a reason why blokes retire from the AFL and go on to be at the level in good local competitions just years afterwards, despite having been leagues ahead in their physical prime.. It's a brutal sport.

I agree but that age isn’t 30 anymore. Have a look at the last couple of premiers and look at how many 30+ year olds were playing for them.

I have a feeling Saints have cooled after latest injury.

So all the funny bugger has been put to bed I guess.

Shiel confirmed to be staying at Essendon
Well he'll be happy then.

Wanted to leave, club happy to shop him to the Saints and didn't even try to claim he was valued player until they knew the Saints wouldn't take him on.

Not the best outcome you'd think.

Well he'll be happy then.

Wanted to leave, club happy to shop him to the Saints and didn't even try to claim he was valued player until they knew the Saints wouldn't take him on.

Not the best outcome you'd think.

On the flip side..

St. Kilda clearly chased him. Enough that Shiel went to Essendon to have a discussion. Now they're backing out. Leaves a sour taste in the eyes of potential future guys looking at St. Kilda as a destination.

Now, is my version true?
Maybe. Probably not.
But it's as equally a true version as what you've just claimed.

On the flip side..

St. Kilda clearly chased him. Enough that Shiel went to Essendon to have a discussion. Now they're backing out. Leaves a sour taste in the eyes of potential future guys looking at St. Kilda as a destination.

Now, is my version true?
Maybe. Probably not.
But it's as equally a true version as what you've just claimed.
Is your version true? Very much doubt it.

If the Saints were the ones chasing Shiel, why didn't Dodoro claim him as a wanted player to increase his negotiating position?

Plus its been said on here on a number occasions by a number of different Essendon supporters that Shiel and Essendon initiated the discussion.

When he was offered up, of course we looked at him but it seems his latest injury concerns (in addition to his existing ones, his age, his contract) have made him less attractive.

May still end up with Saints but if he does we won't be handing over much in draft picks or paying much of his salary.

Is your version true? Very much doubt it.

If the Saints were the ones chasing Shiel, why didn't Dodoro claim him as a wanted player to increase his negotiating position?

Plus its been said on here on a number occasions by a number of different Essendon supporters that Shiel and Essendon initiated the discussion.

When he was offered up, of course we looked at him but it seems his latest injury concerns (in addition to his existing ones, his age, his contract) have made him less attractive.

May still end up with Saints but if he does we won't be handing over much in draft picks or paying much of his salary.

It was only ever said Shiel initiated the discussion, and by that it would mean Shiel's manager initiated the discussion.

Essendon have no compelling reason whatsoever to trade him, there's no salary cap pressure and there's a lack of experienced players on the list.

Dodoro and SOS are also well known to be mates so little reason for either club to make any kind of public comment prior to Twomey's in person interviews yesterday.

Some supporters have gone completely off the deep end with this trade discussion.

It was only ever said Shiel initiated the discussion, and by that it would mean Shiel's manager initiated the discussion.

Essendon have no compelling reason whatsoever to trade him, there's no salary cap pressure and there's a lack of experienced players on the list.

Dodoro and SOS are also well known to be mates so little reason for either club to make any kind of public comment prior to Twomey's in person interviews yesterday.

Some supporters have gone completely off the deep end with this trade discussion.
So Shiel has no issues at the Dons, next year is the last year of his very healthy 6 yr contract, Dons have no pressing salary cap issues so he knows he'll get paid and yet, Shiels management decides now is the time to shop him around.

If I was a betting man I'd be backing that something was said during the exit interviews.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back