Players still liked by their former club

Remove this Banner Ad

Darren Jarman remained a favourite of mine. IMO, he left the club for all the right reasons and it made it easy to continue to respect him as a player. Won 2 GFs off his own boot for Adelaide and didn't score even 1 Norm Smith!!

Would have been comfortable with Buddy leaving but the way he snuck over to Sydney and did nothing to help the Hawks secure a better deal for his transfer will always leave a bitter taste in the mouth. Pick 19 for one of the best players in Australia was pathetic. At least Buddy gave us great service while he was at the club.

Was quite happy for Josh Kennedy to try his luck elsewhere but have become annoyed by the continual suggestion the Hawks made a mistake in letting him go, even though our current midfield have masterminded 4 grand final appearances in a row for 3 flags.

As someone else mentioned, we nursed Jade Rawlings for 8 years hoping that one day he would reach his potential. He had one good year, and was off looking for the big bucks, then has the nerve to criticise the Hawks for not bending over backwards to arrange a deal with the club of his choice. Some players.

As long as they gave good service and displayed some degree of loyalty I'm generally happy to see them succeed elsewhere. Not your James Frawley's of the world though, who displayed minimal leadership in 8 years then felt it was his prerogative to pot-shot the club from the sanctuary of the reigning premiers.

I didn't mind Rivers trying for a flag at Geelong or Moloney for that matter going to Brisbane as both had been generally pretty good over a longer period and had legitimate grievances with Neeld.

Jeff Farmer - no.

No grudges for Woewodin or McLean - MFC arguably shafted both.

Earl Spalding and Matthew Bishop are the only ex-MFC players to win a flag at another club whom I was moderately pleased for.

At first I was angry when Judd left the Eagles for Carlton particularly at the time he did, but over time with the success of Josh Kennedy who was used in the trade, my opinion changed and only wished him success at the end up until he retired. Particularly as in my opinion Judd played his best football whilst playing for the Eagles. He was a delight to watch.

Got nothing against Goddard personally. He gave his all to St Kilda, but I'm not sure if I have just begun to notice it/taken the Saints glasses off, but his behaviour is gradually getting more floggish the longer his career goes on. I can't blame him for leaving to a club that seemed like it was on an upward trajectory at the time, and for more money and security than St Kilda were willing to offer. Think Riewoldt/Montagna are better leaders to have around the young guys than Goddard is.

Ball, while mishandled badly by Lyon et al at the time, still has a somewhat sour taste seeing as he held us over a barrel by saying Collingwood or bust.

Speaking of Collingwood, the amount of meltdown over Freeman leaving was rather comical when they couldn't get Aish signed up fast enough.

Got nothing against Goddard personally. He gave his all to St Kilda, but I'm not sure if I have just begun to notice it/taken the Saints glasses off, but his behaviour is gradually getting more floggish the longer his career goes on. I can't blame him for leaving to a club that seemed like it was on an upward trajectory at the time, and for more money and security than St Kilda were willing to offer. Think Riewoldt/Montagna are better leaders to have around the young guys than Goddard is.

Ball, while mishandled badly by Lyon et al at the time, still has a somewhat sour taste seeing as he held us over a barrel by saying Collingwood or bust.

Speaking of Collingwood, the amount of meltdown over Freeman leaving was rather comical when they couldn't get Aish signed up fast enough.
Sorry but I don't see any comparison between Aish and Freeman. Aish gave his former club two years of service. Freeman gave his former club a large medical bill. Just a small distinction I know but the inference of double standards is a fair way off IMO.

Not a popular view but I still love watching Buddy. Anyone who doesn't like watching him is denying themselves a treat.

I think I still kind of hate him though. Somehow I can divorce watching him play and hating him leaving us.

Anyways - its not like we haven't done alright without him.

I'll likely be ok watching Suckling too. They are likely the next big thing, play a good brand and haven't won a flag in yonks so him going there is ok with me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure about current day players, I'm sure Rosa and Sinclair would get friendly receptions when GC and Sydney play the Eagles.

From past players and coaches Cousins, Judd and Worsfold stand out. Sumich not so much :D

Sorry but I don't see any comparison between Aish and Freeman. Aish gave his former club two years of service. Freeman gave his former club a large medical bill. Just a small distinction I know but the inference of double standards is a fair way off IMO.
There has been lots of talk that Freeman wasn't happy with the way Collingwood pushed him back from injury which if true is a very legitimate reason to request a trade.

So no love from saints fans for Spider Everitt? From a Swans fan i am happy to see his younger brother Andrejs do well at Carlton after stints at both the Bulldogs and Swans.

There has been lots of talk that Freeman wasn't happy with the way Collingwood pushed him back from injury which if true is a very legitimate reason to request a trade.
Of course Freeman will say what suits him to say but on the face of it there certainly is the appearance that he was not prepared to compete against a fairly strong midfield group for a spot. Naturally I have been taking the piss here and couldn't really give a fat rat's clacker but I definitely don't see how anyone could compare the Aish situation to Freeman in order to suggest Collingwood had double standards. Chalk and cheese.

When Chris Judd left it hurt a lot and I definitely felt a fair amount of bitterness towards him. It wasn't so much anger as it was immense disappointment. He was our captain and our (and the competions) best player and he left us when we needed him most.

Having said that time has definitely healed the wound, and now (and since about 2011) I feel no ill feelings toward him. A large part of this probably has to do with the success of Kennedy and knowing that we definitely got the best years out of him. He also played a huge part in us winning a premiership. After many years I hope all WCE fans now only admire him for his contribution to our club. Imagine the club and players feel the same way.

He could (and probably would have) gone down as our greatest ever player. Due to leaving he misses out and will probably continue to fall down the list as time goes on. However I'll always regard him as a legend and wish him nothing but well for the rest of his life. Expect a warm reception for him at the premiership reunion.

As someone else mentioned, we nursed Jade Rawlings for 8 years hoping that one day he would reach his potential. He had one good year, and was off looking for the big bucks, then has the nerve to criticise the Hawks for not bending over backwards to arrange a deal with the club of his choice. Some players.

Then he left and you kept Nick Holland and John Barker for years without a lot of return. Key forward graveyard for a while. Then the 2004 draft happened.

What about Daniel Chick? He gave the club good service then left to return to Perth. Hawthorn got a pretty good draft pick for him by today's standards even if that didn't amount to much.

Judd should've retired as the greatest Eagle of all time but his sucky leaving was a blessing in disguise for the club. West Coast 2008/9 with Judd would've been more competitive but without Cousins (goneski) and Kerr (injured) we wouldn't have challenged Geelong/Hawthorn/St Kilda/WB and we'd have no Kennedy or Naitanui today. His leaving was also softened by the fact that Carlton achieved nothing in his time there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back