Official Club Stuff Port Adelaide Football Club Ltd AGM

Remove this Banner Ad

Serious? We have done all of the heavy lifting to take AFL to China and we have no ongoing rights to that which we have built?

I will assume I got it wrong/mis-heard or whatever but as I posted that was my take.
A question from the floor was along the lines of "is China ours i'd hate to see Haw v C/wood up there in future"
There was a pregnant pause. Kochie side stepped it saying he'd hope so ....
IMO that hinted that the AFL won't insist we have exclusive rights to the Chinese market. Whatever arrangement we have (5 years, who knows?) isn't going to be slapped down by the AFL. But although unlikely it's entirely possible other teams could enter into similar arrangements.

I thought the crowd was disappointing in comparison to previous AGM's (maybe the early start) and I was disappointed not to hear from KT. Kenny alluded to changes in the game plan with the JLT series focusing more on honing that with a more established line up. Stayed for tea afterwards and the chicken schnitzel was good. The mushroom gravy is much improved :D

Last edited:

I thought the crowd was disappointing in comparison which previous AGM's
Up against fight night and the 1st women's game or am I clutching at straws. Personally my take was our 2015/16 seasons
but hope i'm wrong. Lotta video screens and no KT was a surprise. Fish n chips for me b4 the meeting, butterfish and beautiful as well.
Put $20 in the slots and the same into Keno, couple of drinks, caught up with some mates and left happy.
For those interested the maggies train Mon Wed Fri @5.

The GC guernsey story for me sounded like if GC want to make this a permanent game for them they better agree to not wearing their red guernsey. It tells me that for the club the colour of the opponents guernsey IS an issue.

Also, Kochie mentioned that gold, teal and black were royal (?) Chinese colours and we could have some gold in the jumper for the game. I haven't found any reference to teal and black as being relevant in China so I am not sure about this.
That was my take on it as well. One interesting moment was when Chad stated the Maggies boys had been training harder than the Power boys. Very competitive is Chad

That was my take on it as well. One interesting moment was when Chad stated the Maggies boys had been training harder than the Power boys. Very competitive is Chad

Well thats particularly worrying - a bunch of state level part timers supposedly working harder the elite athletes ?

Hopefully not an indication of the year to come.

Hope he was being very tongue in cheek.

Last time we backed off on training harder to train smarter was at the beginning of the Primus reign and we know where that left us.

I realise that Pete's photos are a very limited snapshot of the training we do, as are the club's videos, but I haven't been seeing what I would consider footage of intense training.

For those who watch training, is the intensity good enough?

Hope he was being very tongue in cheek.

Last time we backed off on training harder to train smarter was at the beginning of the Primus reign and we know where that left us.

I realise that Pete's photos are a very limited snapshot of the training we do, as are the club's videos, but I haven't been seeing what I would consider footage of intense training.

I've taken them the other way. There's been a plethora of action shots where the boys are being overly physical...

Definitely from what I saw at the last open training. From what Baz Curtin (who presumably sees more than we do) says and Boxx
has also said the same. Seriously we can take it as a given the boys will be hard at it. SPP Atley Marshall and Drew have arrived
then throw in Eddy Irra Lienert and Ladhams all competing for oxygen along with White Snelling Johnson Hewitt & Houston too.
Ah Chee & S Gray would be wanting to build on 2016. Doogs coming back from a knee and seeing Ladhams and Frampton there.
I've probably forgotten a name or two but when Kochie and Ken spoke at the AGM it's obvious there is a steely resolve
around the club. The axe is hanging over Ken and he knows it. Maybe even perennial favourites TJ Neade Lobbe and Hammer
are starting to sweat. They're all going hard at it, you wouldn't be human if you weren't.
One interesting moment was when Chad stated the Maggies boys had been training harder than the Power boys. Very competitive is Chad
Chad said the Magpies had started training a month? before the AFL list and when Baz spoke to Ken about some of the 'fights'
he had seen Chad iirc followed that up by saying there had been the same if not more of this rough stuff with the Maggies.
One final point. There was a Q from the floor at the AGM that all the hype around China corporate sponsorship and hard
training paled compared to the benefits of winning. No kidding I thought but Ken, who has to wear the heat from 2015/16 non finals,
can't do anything to redress that until 2017 starts he basically said thru' clenched teeth he and the boys want to
"shake the s**t out of the comp". EVERYONE'S pretty wound up at Alberton.
We have a tough start to 2017 and being 5 & 0 after five rounds is probably unrealistic. What we don't want to see
are weak capitulations v Syd & GWS and or dropping our bundle if we lose a few of our opening games.
imo we will make finals.

Definitely from what I saw at the last open training. From what Baz Curtin (who presumably sees more than we do) says and Boxx
has also said the same. Seriously we can take it as a given the boys will be hard at it. SPP Atley Marshall and Drew have arrived
then throw in Eddy Irra Lienert and Ladhams all competing for oxygen along with White Snelling Johnson Hewitt & Houston too.
Ah Chee & S Gray would be wanting to build on 2016. Doogs coming back from a knee and seeing Ladhams and Frampton there.
I've probably forgotten a name or two but when Kochie and Ken spoke at the AGM it's obvious there is a steely resolve
around the club. The axe is hanging over Ken and he knows it. Maybe even perennial favourites TJ Neade Lobbe and Hammer
are starting to sweat. They're all going hard at it, you wouldn't be human if you weren't.

Chad said the Magpies had started training a month? before the AFL list and when Baz spoke to Ken about some of the 'fights'
he had seen Chad iirc followed that up by saying there had been the same if not more of this rough stuff with the Maggies.
One final point. There was a Q from the floor at the AGM that all the hype around China corporate sponsorship and hard
training paled compared to the benefits of winning. No kidding I thought but Ken, who has to wear the heat from 2015/16 non finals,
can't do anything to redress that until 2017 starts he basically said thru' clenched teeth he and the boys want to
"shake the s**t out of the comp". EVERYONE'S pretty wound up at Alberton.
We have a tough start to 2017 and being 5 & 0 after five rounds is probably unrealistic. What we don't want to see
are weak capitulations v Syd & GWS and or dropping our bundle if we lose a few of our opening games.
imo we will make finals.
Players I overlooked in above post Amon Bonner Polec and The Toump

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no idea what that is even meant to mean.

I meant that it's a similar situation to the One Club merger - PAFC in AFL and PAMFC in SANFL were separate legal entities (edit: not by our choice!) that merged to form the one club we have now. Currently PAWFC and PAFC are also separate organisations that are co-operating together, but there was talk before about a formal merger similar to One Club. This would need a vote at each organisation's AGM. Based on what Byron and others have reported, looks like this wasn't on the agenda this year.

..... Currently PAWFC and PAFC are also separate organisations that are co-operating together, but there was talk before about a formal merger similar to One Club. This would need a vote at each organisation's AGM .....
Stay away from drugs kids.

332671_aec4cb66e80926269ffafe72ecbc2092.png

So if we compare our membership numbers against those provided by the 2 Star Hotel Manager on the Industry Board, of those given our membership revenue exceeds that of Essendon and Carlton? Am I reading this correctly?

Membership Revenue
  • Collingwood - $22,565,759 (includes matchday)
  • Geelong - $14,341,800 (includes gate reciepts)
  • Hawthorn - $12,422,423
  • Essendon - $10,100,110
  • Carlton - $ 8,618,194
  • North Melbourne - $7,263,161
  • Melbourne - $7,578,057 (includes fundraising)
  • St Kilda - $6,646,174
  • Western Bulldogs - $6,412,414
  • Brisbane - $5,602,557 (includes Gate reciepts)

So if we compare our membership numbers against those provided by the 2 Star Hotel Manager on the Industry Board, of those given our membership revenue exceeds that of Essendon and Carlton? Am I reading this correctly?

Membership Revenue
  • Collingwood - $22,565,759 (includes matchday)
  • Geelong - $14,341,800 (includes gate reciepts)
  • Hawthorn - $12,422,423
  • Essendon - $10,100,110
  • Carlton - $ 8,618,194
  • North Melbourne - $7,263,161
  • Melbourne - $7,578,057 (includes fundraising)
  • St Kilda - $6,646,174
  • Western Bulldogs - $6,412,414
  • Brisbane - $5,602,557 (includes Gate reciepts)
Looks like it. Its the Docklands effect I reckon and the fact that those adult AFL memberships with both Carlton or Essendon club support IIRC are around 3,000 each only get about $140-$145 for these adult memberships. Also the last AFL report that the AFL split memberships into access and non access I'm pretty sure Essendon had 13.5k non-access vs our 8.2k. ( edit that was 2013 AFL annual report figures)

Last edited:
Papa G I checked the 2014 AFL annual report which gave splits of access and non access memberships and break downs of AFL members club support which are counted as part of clubs' total and AFL transfer monies to the clubs per membership. No splits in 2015 AR for either category. See
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2014-afl-annual-report.1089441/#post-37583624

2014 Access + Non Access
Carl 43,710 + 3,775
Essd 45,426 + 15,220
Port 40,637 + 8,601
Docklands means some will only buy 7 or 8 home game memberships and not the 11 games which include MCG games or vice versa.

2014 AFL Members Club support
Carl 7,015 - adults 5,427
Essd 6,247 - adults 5,017
Port 174 - adults 162
I know in 2013 the AFL gave the clubs $138 for each adult AFL member club support, about $90 for concession members and about $30 for juniors. I dont know what the amounts are for 2014-16 period but that info is available in annual The AFL Record Season Guide book. We were getting that payment at Footy Park for every Cat 1 member ( and the crows) and Cat 3 member, so once we moved to AO I haven't bothered remembering what the payment is but, do look it up usually when I first get the new season's book.

If we are making $11mill, What are the Crers making? $13-$15mill? Freo have reported $16.5mill which is a pretty big number. West Coast is probably well and truly past $20mill. Will be interesting to see how the WA clubs go at the new stadium. You'd imagine they'll grow membership revenue but that will be offset by the costs of the new stadium and them losing out in other areas. Still, I reckon West Coast, despite the Victorian propaganda are the biggest club in the country, the new stadium will make this indisputable.

If we are making $11mill, What are the Crers making? $13-$15mill? Freo have reported $16.5mill which is a pretty big number. West Coast is probably well and truly past $20mill. Will be interesting to see how the WA clubs go at the new stadium. You'd imagine they'll grow membership revenue but that will be offset by the costs of the new stadium and them losing out in other areas. Still, I reckon West Coast, despite the Victorian propaganda are the biggest club in the country, the new stadium will make this indisputable.
2015 figures from The Wookie's post/thread. We were about $6mil behind crows in 2013 before the move to AO.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2015-annual-reporting-season-now-complete.1117322/
Membership
  • Collingwood - $22,462,849 (inc Matchday)
  • West Coast - $19,903,975
  • Adelaide - $17,328,437
  • Fremantle - $15,835,972
  • Sydney - $14,822,409 (inc Matchday)
  • Geelong - $13,271,798 (inc Gate)
  • Hawthorn - $11,691,422
  • Essendon - $10,828,157
  • Carlton - $8,651,762
  • Melbourne - $7,253,885 (inc fundraising)
  • Gold Coast - $6,596,920 (inc gate)
  • North - $6,511,612
  • St Kilda - $6,357,296
  • Brisbane - $5,850,919 (includes gate)
  • W.Bulldogs - $5,148,264
  • GWS - $969,163 (inc merchandise)
  • Port - not specified

2015 figures from The Wookie's post/thread. We were about $6mil behind crows in 2013 before the move to AO.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2015-annual-reporting-season-now-complete.1117322/
Membership
  • Collingwood - $22,462,849 (inc Matchday)
  • West Coast - $19,903,975
  • Adelaide - $17,328,437
  • Fremantle - $15,835,972
  • Sydney - $14,822,409 (inc Matchday)
  • Geelong - $13,271,798 (inc Gate)
  • Hawthorn - $11,691,422
  • Essendon - $10,828,157
  • Carlton - $8,651,762
  • Melbourne - $7,253,885 (inc fundraising)
  • Gold Coast - $6,596,920 (inc gate)
  • North - $6,511,612
  • St Kilda - $6,357,296
  • Brisbane - $5,850,919 (includes gate)
  • W.Bulldogs - $5,148,264
  • GWS - $969,163 (inc merchandise)
  • Port - not specified

By the looks of things we are still at least $6 mill behind those campaigners.

IMO that hinted that the AFL won't insist we have exclusive rights to the Chinese market. Whatever arrangement we have (5 years, who knows?) isn't going to be slapped down by the AFL. But although unlikely it's entirely possible other teams could enter into similar arrangements.

We'll get looked after regardless.

The AFL never forgot our part in bringing sanity to the dying SA football market, twice.

By the looks of things we are still at least $6 mill behind those campaigners.
We keep 7,000 seats for GA's and sold that for $175+ $20 waiting fee in 2016 and they sell less than 1,000 GA seats, and event hough we over sell those seats, we would be down close to $1mil on those 7,000 seats in comparison. We have pretty cheap other memberships especially silver and gold compared to most other clubs not just the crows.

So if we assume both clubs have about 45,000 access game day adult members, then on average each membership is about $145-$150 more across the board, ie net between $130-$135 after GST, unless those high end memberships bring in a s**t load more. Maybe $500 more than our high end members.

We'll get looked after regardless.

The AFL never forgot our part in bringing sanity to the dying SA football market, twice.
With apologies to the late Kerry Packer for stealing his comment about Alan Bond "You only get one Andrew Demetriou in your lifetime."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back