2nds Port Adelaide vs South Adelaide - Round 9 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks to the mods for putting the Maggies game thread on the main board and to all the posters for making it an entertaining afternoon. Great to have the stream and be able to see who's nudging for selection. From what I saw, would be happy if next week's ins included Toumpas, Gray. Mitchell and Howard. Not sold on Bobby's game, he did look slow on occasion. But geez I'd love to see Butch in

First SANFL Game I've managed to watch for a long time - the stream was excellent.

First up - what are all those green things and what is that stuff falling from the sky?

After all the Magpies horror stories I read here I was expecting much worse.
Actually thought it was a good entertaining game to watch.
Having a few talls scattered around the field seems to help.

Thought Howard was ok, Butcher seemed to get involved and the junk time goals were a good reward for effort.
Hadn't seen much of Austin, looks to be a likely prospect.
Carlile was ok and I think Jonas' holiday mean s he comes back into the side.
As far as smalls go Toumpas was pretty good.
Unpopular opinion I know but I think Mitchell has earnt a recall to the AFL - he is never going to be a star but he doesn't float out of the game like some others picked before him.

Got down to the game towards the end of the first quarter. It had been raining hard for most of the morning but had let off. There were only really two periods where it seemed that Port may not win, those were when South kicked three goals in a hurry at the end of the second quarter after being held goalless for most of the time and when South kicked 2 goals in 6 minutes to cut a 42 point 3/4 time lead to 30. Fortunately there was no appreciable rain till about 15 minutes into the last quarter(at least not while I was there). Butcher challenged and ran well, particularly once when he kept the ball n the field of play on the 50 then sprinted to the goalfront to take a strong mark. He still sprayed one easy one but kicked 3.2 with the other behind a snap in traffic.
Toumpas did passably well and with the outs we have could get a call back to the AFL. Although he did not do well to get a call back under normal circumstances. He took a great mark when South had got back to 10 points. He was only 25 metres out and it was just as well South only had Steffe on the line as the kick was terrible and body height. If there had been another person there they would have touched it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First SANFL Game I've managed to watch for a long time - the stream was excellent.

First up - what are all those green things and what is that stuff falling from the sky?

After all the Magpies horror stories I read here I was expecting much worse.
Actually thought it was a good entertaining game to watch.
Having a few talls scattered around the field seems to help.

Thought Howard was ok, Butcher seemed to get involved and the junk time goals were a good reward for effort.
Hadn't seen much of Austin, looks to be a likely prospect.
Carlile was ok and I think Jonas' holiday mean s he comes back into the side.
As far as smalls go Toumpas was pretty good.
Unpopular opinion I know but I think Mitchell has earnt a recall to the AFL - he is never going to be a star but he doesn't float out of the game like some others picked before him.
Not unpopular with me - has shown good form all year. Great team man.

Got down to the game towards the end of the first quarter. It had been raining hard for most of the morning but had let off. There were only really two periods where it seemed that Port may not win, those were when South kicked three goals in a hurry at the end of the second quarter after being held goalless for most of the time and when South kicked 2 goals in 6 minutes to cut a 42 point 3/4 time lead to 30. Fortunately there was no appreciable rain till about 15 minutes into the last quarter(at least not while I was there). Butcher challenged and ran well, particularly once when he kept the ball n the field of play on the 50 then sprinted to the goalfront to take a strong mark. He still sprayed one easy one but kicked 3.2 with the other behind a snap in traffic.
Toumpas did passably well and with the outs we have could get a call back to the AFL. Although he did not do well to get a call back under normal circumstances. He took a great mark when South had got back to 10 points. He was only 25 metres out and it was just as well South only had Steffe on the line as the kick was terrible and body height. If there had been another person there they would have touched it.

0e45c6bf1cde511b2ebe93b5608c6b9d.png

Passably well, hey? 28 disposals, 6 marks, 7 tackles, 4 clearances, 2 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50, 2 goals. If that's a pass I'd hate to see what you would give a distinction :p

Yeah I thought they were pretty decent. They acknowledged that we'd gotten the rough end of the pineapple with the umps earlier on.

I appreciated the fact that they didn't go 'Free difference, gee port are getting the rough end of the stick'. They just presented it and let the viewer infer their own opinion. Good on em.

Great win. I really felt like part of a tribe today. A small, wet tribe though the rain didn't come until the last 15 min or so.
Standing with the Cheer Squad and pre-match team officials Wilbur Wilson, Stuey Cochrane, Chad Cornes wandered by; men on a mission. Soon a lot of the AFL squad from last night appeared in 2s and 3s, Jonas looking unhappy. About 400 people there if you don't include official and players from the reserves/Academy game.
Cracker of an effort by the team. Good luck picking the best but Jimmy Toumpas would be mine from the Power listed players, very hard and very skilful. Well his goal kicking style was :eek: but he got a couple of set shots home.

Well done Chad and the lads , winning when not many gave us hope is what pleases most , together with a coach that knows a team needs a tall spine , Rucks together with the smaller rovers ,flankers etc., again well done

Remove this Banner Ad

Back