Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben McKay would absolutely be an awesome get.

The only thing North had going for them was their backline and McKay was a big reason for that.

Cal Twomey doubling down on the Ben McKay to Port story

Hope we get him across - still need to pay these pricks back for Ben Jacobs and Jared Polec
I'm not sure we can get vexed about Ben Jacobs going to North. He was always going to get out of Port as fast as he could. You can read it all here.

Last edited:
They did us a favour taking Polec
Nonsense. He was a wonderful distributor of the ball and worth a goal or two a game. Like a 2021 Amon.
He had 2 more good years in him when he went which would have been fine for us because he wasn't going to get big bucks or a long contract.

Or how about they just wear an Adelaide fc guernsey, like us just wearing a Port Adelaide guernsey?

I must admit, I’ve enjoyed the selective amnesia that has us being the sole reason they were prevented from sneaking that one through back in 2014, when in reality it was literally everyone except Graham Cornes who condemned them for it.

Nonsense. He was a wonderful distributor of the ball and worth a goal or two a game. Like a 2021 Amon.
He had 2 more good years in him when he went which would have been fine for us because he wasn't going to get big bucks or a long contract.

Polly is a favourite kicking bag on here, well here's a few thoughts slash facts to mull over. When he was with Brisbane Jono Brown said Polly

was the best passer he'd seen. Iirc he said "no matter where I led he could find me". Polly loved money well so what. As for leaving us when he did

at AO one time I got talking to some strangers who said they were his neighbours. Jared had married a Victorian girl whose father ran

a very successful business. He wanted her back home and offered Polly a cushy high paying job post his footy career within the company

if he left Port and came to Victoria. I remember a time v Brisbane at AO when Polly drifted back to the goal line and marked a shot on goal

at the death that won us the game. Not sure we've beaten them since. Was Polly soft? well we can't all be the crash bash inside bulls.

Polly was a finesse player and of course he could play. Whether many on here didn't rate him pick5 says otherwise.

Polly is a favourite kicking bag on here, well here's a few thoughts slash facts to mull over. When he was with Brisbane Jono Brown said Polly

was the best passer he'd seen. Iirc he said "no matter where I led he could find me". Polly loved money well so what. As for leaving us when he did

at AO one time I got talking to some strangers who said they were his neighbours. Jared had married a Victorian girl whose father ran

a very successful business. He wanted her back home and offered Polly a cushy high paying job post his footy career within the company

if he left Port and came to Victoria. I remember a time v Brisbane at AO when Polly drifted back to the goal line and marked a shot on goal

at the death that won us the game. Not sure we've beaten them since. Was Polly soft? well we can't all be the crash bash inside bulls.

Polly was a finesse player and of course he could play. Whether many on here didn't rate him pick5 says otherwise.

I get North were stinging from having multiple big fish knock them back in free agency, but adding Polec, who even at his absolute best was exclusively a linking receiver/finisher who did his best work outside and off the ball, was the platinum standard in incoherent list management.

Was never going to move the needle on leadership and culture, and the returns were only going to diminish as North inevitably sank into full rebuild mode.

On a dominant team with positive clearance numbers he’d have continued to be a serious asset.

I must admit, I’ve enjoyed the selective amnesia that has us being the sole reason they were prevented from sneaking that one through back in 2014, when in reality it was literally everyone except Graham Cornes who condemned them for it.
The charge against them wearing it was led by the sainted heroes of the 80s state of origin triumphs - Kernahan, Platten, Peter Motley, McIntosh, Naley et al, as well as well as previous generations of sanfl greats like Barry Robran, Harry Kernahan.

When badgered for a comment someone from Port Adelaide said something akin to 'Yeah- nah, probably not a great idea'

HOW DARE THEY!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The charge against them wearing it was led by the sainted heroes of the 80s state of origin triumphs - Kernahan, Platten, Peter Motley, McIntosh, Naley et al, as well as well as previous generations of sanfl greats like Barry Robran, Harry Kernahan.

When badgered for a comment someone from Port Adelaide said something akin to 'Yeah- nah, probably not a great idea'

HOW DARE THEY!!!!

Even pre-Board Ricciuto was against it.

I love the contrasting thought bubbles that we are both a) their insignificant 'little brother', but also b) hold so much sway that we can dictate that they can't wear a state guernsey.

.... Polly loved money ....
It was fairly public how much that move from Port to North meant financially for Polec and IMO to say Polly loved money is unfair. At the time they went after him North Melbourne had for several years made audacious bids for players and failed. So they really didn't f&*% around when they went for him. My memory is before North got involved we'd offered a 2 year extension at $400,000 a year. Then North came in and offered 5 years at $700,000. So $800,000 versus $3,500,000. If he had knocked that back his manager would have and should have run him over in the fist truck.

His last year at Port he gave up heaps of goals by turning the ball over in the back half
We see/remember what we want to see/remember.
Per the weirdly named North trade doubles Power in October 2018:
North GM Football Cameron Joyce said the club was delighted with the acquisition.
“Jared has been an outstanding player and is coming off a career-best year,” Joyce told North Media.

Cal Twomey doubling down on the Ben McKay to Port story

Hope we get him across - still need to pay these pricks back for Ben Jacobs and Jared Polec

Don't forget Pittard. It set us back years loosing this marvellous player...

I dont think you'll find anyone that says he wasn't a wonderful distributor when we first acquired him.

He did absolutely take the piss out of North Melbourne though and made off like a bandit. The reality is that they'd rather pay him to not play than stay on their list.

My only lingering annoyance with that trade is the number of our fans who get the exact transactions received completely wrong.

#12 — Butters? Nope. (our ‘natural’ pick for finishing 10th, with 2 free agency compo/academy picks leapfrogging);

#18 — Duursma? Nope. (Hawthorn’s first rounder chucked in with the Burton/Wingard trade, with 3 free agency compo/academy picks leapfrogging);

#5 — Rozee? Ding-ding-ding! (eventually after a series of pick swaps chiefly involving North’s pick #11, Freo’s pick #6 and Brisbane’s pick #5)

We see/remember what we want to see/remember.
Per the weirdly named North trade doubles Power in October 2018:
North GM Football Cameron Joyce said the club was delighted with the acquisition.
“Jared has been an outstanding player and is coming off a career-best year,” Joyce told North Media.
No I remember polec like it was yesterday, he was not worth keeping on any contract over 500 k

MAR 16, 2023

AFL
A HIGHLY UNHELPFUL GUIDE TO ROUND ONE

Last year, the AFL had the previous year’s Grand Finalists open the season, but when absolutely no one cried out, ‘Return Carlton to their traditional opening game slot!’, the AFL agreed immediately.

And why not? You must reward Carlton’s ‘avoid the finals at all costs’ mentality.

Not that Carlton fans spent all off-season asking themselves, ‘how could this happen?” Because for at least a generation, this is what always happens.

Rejoice Port fans! The jumper wars are over, with the new brass at Collingwood deciding to introduce rational thinking into their skill set.

Yes, Port Adelaide will be able to wear their prison bar jumper in the Showdown, ending a debate that almost all footy fans have not cared about in any shape or form.

The Power could have run out in togas, and most people wouldn’t have cared.

In fact, I would enjoy it immensely if they ran out in Collingwood jumpers just to watch the reaction.

One player to watch at Port Adelaide this season is Jason Horne-Francis, who will fulfil his lifelong dream of playing for an AFL side this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back