Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 27

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

How would Kornes react if the Dogs put us out of finals again?
He'd still blame Bevo for not winning the flag with "such a great list."

They have a great midfield and some great kids in the forward line who are years from their peak. I dont really rate their backline especially tall defenders

Warner at pick 39 was amazing.
He was a reach at pick 39 too. I remember him at the under 18 champs, looked like one of those stocky vanilla low possession/high tackle inside mids that thrive in the SANFL. Played a bit as a tagger if I remember correctly.

Completely different player to what he was pre-draft.

Chad Warner WooHoo!
I remember watching the 2022 GF with you and pastmyprimus and being pissed off how well Warner played and stopped any chance of Geelong getting close to winning by 20 goals and handing over the record GF loss to the Swans. He's had a decent haircut since then.

D_One tells me that since 1990, only 6 of 17 teams who have had a 10-1 start, have won the flag. But sometimes there is a team with the same start or just behind them.

Collingwood were 10-1 in 2011 but Geelong 11-0. In 2008 both Hawks and Geelong were 10-1 and Bulldogs were 9 wins and a draw.

In 2009 both Geelong and Saints were 13-0 before they met at Docklands and Saints won by a goal.

We were 10-1 in 2014 then Buddy beat us in the last quarter at the SCG we lost by 4 pts and the rot set in for 6 to 8 weeks.

St Kilda were 10-1 in 2004 and produced a 10 in a row DVD.

Melbourne were 10-1 in 2022 but were 10-0 then mid week May and Melksham had that big fight and their season went to shit.

Melbourne and Bulldogs were both 9-1 in 2021 and played each other in Rd 11 and Melboune won by 5 goals.

I think the swans are safe this year. Nobody is close to them like some of the above examples.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

D_One tells me that since 1990, only 6 of 17 teams who have had a 10-1 start, have won the flag. But sometimes there is a team with the same start or just behind them.

Collingwood were 10-1 in 2011 but Geelong 11-0. In 2008 both Hawks and Geelong were 10-1 and Bulldogs were 9 wins and a draw.

In 2009 both Geelong and Saints were 13-0 before they met at Docklands and Saints won by a goal.

We were 10-1 in 2014 then Buddy beat us in the last quarter at the SCG we lost by 4 pts and the rot set in for 6 to 8 weeks.

St Kilda were 10-1 in 2004 and produced a 10 in a row DVD.

Melbourne were 10-1 in 2022 but were 10-0 then mid week May and Melksham had that big fight and their season went to s**t.

Melbourne and Bulldogs were both 9-1 in 2021 and played each other in Rd 11 and Melboune won by 5 goals.

I think the swans are safe this year. Nobody is close to them like some of the above examples.
D_One sent me his file he produced after crunching the AFL Tables database from 1897. Rather than since 1990 I will list since expansion in 1987, there is no change as the previous example prior to 1990 was Carton in 1979 were 10-1 and won the flag.

10-1 and win the flag, since 1987
2006 WCE
2008 Hawthorn
2013 Hawthorn
2018 WCE
2021 Melbourne
2023 Collingwood

10-1 and don't win the flag
1995 Richmond lost PF to Geelong. Carlton were 9-2 and won the flag. They were 9-0 and ended the season 20-2
2004 St Kilda lost PF to Port who won the flag and were 7-4.
2005 WCE lost GF to Sydney who were 6-5.
2008 Geelong lost GF to Hawks who also were 10-1.
2011 Collingwood lost GF to Geelong who also were 11-0.
2013 Geelong lost PF to Hawks again who also were 10-1.

2014 Port lost PF to Hawks who won the flag and were 8-3.
2015 Freo lost PF to Hawks who won the flag and were 7-4.
2016 North soft early draw finished 8th 12-10 and lost EF to Adelaide. WB won the flag and were 8-3.
2019 Geelong lost PF to Richmond who then won the flag and were 7-4.
2022 Melbourne out in straight sets. Were 10-0, then midweek the May v Melksham brawl.

11-0 and win the flag, since 1987
2000 Essendon
2009 Geelong
2011 Geelong

11-0 and dont win the flag
1991 WCE lost GF to Hawthorn who were 6-5 but were playing in their 8th GF in 9 seasons.
2009 St Kilda lost GF to Geelong who also were 11-0.

So will Sydney win the flag? Take out the teams that had the same or better win loss record than them after Rd 11, and Carlton who in 1995 had a mid season slump and only lost 2 games for the year, in Rds 10 and 11 and history says its about a 55% chance Sydney will win.

Can't accuse Sydney of a soft early draw like North in 2016, of the top 11 teams they have beaten Essendon, Collingwood, Melbourne, GWS, GC, Carlton, Fremantle and Western Bulldogs. That's 8 of the next 10 on the ladder.

But history shows the most likely team that will beat them is a recent premier. To me that is Collingwood, not Geelong or Melbourne,

North Melbourne great Phil Krakouer is leading the class action that includes six other players, including his brother James Krakouer.

The players were at AFL and VFL clubs between 1975 and 2022.

The Racial Discrimination Act was passed by the Whitlam government and given Royal Assent on 11 June 1975. The amendments inserting the most well know section 18C, which is part of inserted PART IIA--PROHIBITION--OF OFFENSIVE BEHAVIOUR BASED ON RACIAL HATRED, was given Royal Assent in the dying days of the Keating government in October 1995.

That's why this class action goes back to 1975. Nicky Winmar made his famous stance at Victoria Park on 17 April 1993, which started the drive to the 1995 amendments.

Western Bulldogs forward Aaron Naughton has avoided a season-ending ACL injury in Thursday night's loss to Sydney. Naughton is expected to miss between four and six weeks as he recovers from the injury.

It is the anomaly of the Hinkley era.

Actually it's the anomaly of the SPP era - our run against the Swans starts R1 2017, SCG - his first game, following what is forever burned into my mind as "that John Butcher game", his last, at a wet, windy, depressing SCG in R20 August 2016.

I was at both games and had the privilege of helping pull up the banner at SPP's debut. Apart from that minor contribution I've got nothing to do with the run of success ;)

State of Origin is a thing of the past in my view, but I heard some dipstick on SEN saying all of the best players at Crows and Port are Victorians.. aside from Butters who are they?

Off the top of my head JHF, Rozee & Rankine are a pretty handy starting midfield for SA.
Against a Victorian midfield of Bontompelli Petracca Daicos Josh Kelly Oliver Butters Gawn etc we would get belted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back