Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 27

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do west lakes have any indigenous players in the west coast game? Might need to have taylor go out & put his hand on Liam Ryan’s shoulder?

Don't jag a win in Geelong for the first time in nearly 2 decades + have Sam Mitchell actually coach out 4 quarters, and we are outside the 8.
Have 2 draws go against you and you are also outside the 8.

Or in Freo’s case, don’t have a dodgy umpire call in the last minute and you’re in the 4 (ironically, it’s the opposite for Carlton).

Your point is irrelevant, you can only play the team presented on any given day.

The franchise from across the road want everything- now feel entitled to an Anzac Day game at home and don’t want to share the Mother’s Day round. ENTITLED

The Clarkson thing is a bit mad isn’t it?

From the most lauded coach of the century to potentially the worst season in history (I don’t think any other club has even lost 23 in a season).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they do, I'm sure Rowey will be getting a few reminders about his comment during the week, "This game is unlosable."
I’m going to the game today, I’m hoping for another draw.

The Clarkson thing is a bit mad isn’t it?

From the most lauded coach of the century to potentially the worst season in history (I don’t think any other club has even lost 23 in a season).

No doubt Clarkson is a good coach but I reckon his record flatters him a bit. The '08, '14 and '15 grand finals were all played at their home ground despite being the lower ranked team. He had one of the best to ever do it in Buddy for two of the flags and the advantage of a list built with the old priority pick system. Kudos for taking full toll and winning the flags but this situation at North is a totally different challenge.

By contrast I look at Paul Roos. Coached a non Victorian team to a rare flag. Set up a succession plan that is still going strong and produced a flag of its own. Went to Melbourne who were on the bottom for a decade, lifted them off the bottom and set up a succession plan that also produced a flag. That's what a coach of the highest quality looks like IMO.

Apart from Sydney, it is a bit of an open competition this year.
We really should be gunning for it.

Our run home seems very difficult though

Carlton at home
Giants away
Brisbane at home
Saints at Marvel
Bulldogs at home
Suns away
Richmond at home
Carlton at Marvel
Swans at home
Melbourne at the MCG
The Showdown
Fremantle away

No doubt Clarkson is a good coach but I reckon his record flatters him a bit. The '08, '14 and '15 grand finals were all played at their home ground despite being the lower ranked team. He had one of the best to ever do it in Buddy for two of the flags and the advantage of a list built with the old priority pick system. Kudos for taking full toll and winning the flags but this situation at North is a totally different challenge.

By contrast I look at Paul Roos. Coached a non Victorian team to a rare flag. Set up a succession plan that is still going strong and produced a flag of its own. Went to Melbourne who were on the bottom for a decade, lifted them off the bottom and set up a succession plan that also produced a flag. That's what a coach of the highest quality looks like IMO.
It really shows you that coaching is very important but you can't do it without a good list.

It is why Hinkley is just the pits because he constantly shows how badly he coaches in big games. And we are ready to go.

And just an aside, Pagan was a very good coach but he also did nothing at Carlton and only, only, only won two flags that with the Kangaroos team with the best player on the planet.

I am also a big Paul Roos fan and would have him in an instant in any way at the club even for the search for the next coach.

It is why Damien Hardwick is a very smooth operator. Running from the Tigers when they are descending and picking up the pieces at the Suns with an ascending, basically complete young list with internal improvement and not much more to go.

Clarko has some super young talent to burn at the Kangaroos but will they be able to keep it or turn over some of the older players for draft capital or good trading. Dunno.

Don't jag a win in Geelong for the first time in nearly 2 decades + have Sam Mitchell actually coach out 4 quarters, and we are outside the 8.
You could say that about most of the teams in the 8.
As I’ve said apart from Sydney you could throw a blanket over the rest.
Luck will play a big part in who finishes not only in the finals but top 4.

Excellent article in today's Age about how North throwing around mega offers to attract players from other clubs hasn't resulted in them improving their list but simply made the stars of other clubs mega rich.

“I played with Josh Kelly who got some of the most ridiculous offers from North ... his dad played for North, and he was still able to say no.”
Former GWS captain Phil Davis, on SEN’s Whateley on Thursday.

In 2017, North Melbourne simultaneously made staggering long-term offers to Dustin Martin and Josh Kelly that would have made either the game’s best paid footballer at the time.

The immediate impact of those offers was that they enabled Martin to be close to first on the rich list for AFL players even at Richmond and for Kelly to secure a 10-year commitment from the Giants worth around $1 million a season in 2019.
That the Kangaroos could pay both players an aggregate approaching $3 million per season – without ruining their salary cap – is a measure of the “war chest” that they possessed at Arden St.

Today, as Dusty reaches the end of the seven-year deal he extracted after delivering incredible value to Richmond, North Melbourne’s war chest remains as intact as Trent Cotchin’s hair. The space they had then was spent, in parts, on journeymen – Jared Polec one fortunate beneficiary – or it simply went unspent and disappeared.

Consider the contract that Harley Reid would have commanded had North not beaten the Suns in the final round last season, or that Zak Butters would be given if he were willing to leave Port Adelaide in 2026 as a free agent and chose North. Reid can virtually name his price at West Coast.

North's failure as a club on and off field over many years now and offering mega $$$ to attract top line players in an effort to fix the mess is impacting adversely on all other clubs including Port. It is upsetting the balance of payer payments across the league at a time when top tier talent is being spread even more thinly across an increasing number of clubs.

When Tasmania enters the comp and siphons off top tier draft picks for several years as part of their concessions, North (and to a lesser extent St Kilda) will have to become even more desperate to appease their fan base. But that of course will not result in those players being attracted to or staying at North but to demand more from their existing and more professionally managed clubs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back