Roast Was the Positive only Thread but now it’s We Suck Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

They finished one game outside the 8 in 2021 and here were games played by some of their top players from 2021 in 2022.

Nic Nat (8 games) - B&F winner 2021
Tom Cole (0 games) - #9 in B&F
Oscar Allen (0 games) - #10 in B&F

Add in very good veterans in Jeremy McGovern (10 games) Dom Sheed (1 game), Yeo (5 games) plus Rioli (13), Witherden (13).

If they can get continuity in their playing list they are every chance of giving the 8 a shake in 2023 - They still have a brilliant coach in Adam Simpson and a distinct home field advantage.
Rioli?

They’ve lost Kennedy, have some ageing stars and they don’t seem to have much talent coming through

Rioli?

They’ve lost Kennedy, have some ageing stars and they don’t seem to have much talent coming through
I see them as mid table or little lower as should win most of their home games.

They had a shocking run with covid at the beginning of last season which effectively derailed their whole year.

Oscar Allan is a decent replacement for Kennedy.

Their main issue for me is that I don't think Simpson's message is getting through any more.

Rioli?

Oh s**t - I forgot Rioli went to the swampies.

But if they get consistency out of their core group - Nic Nat, Shuey, Gaff, Hurn, McGovern, Darling, Kelly, Barrass - there is enough talent to push for the 8 IMO.

But if they get consistency out of their core group - Nic Nat, Shuey, Gaff, Hurn, McGovern, Darling, Kelly, Barrass - there is enough talent to push for the 8 IMO.
They traded in Hunt & traded out Rioli, so not much in it.

That’s an old bunch of core players:

Hurn 35
Nic Nat 33 in May
Shuey 33 in June
Darling, McGovern, Gaff all turning 31

I know you like your old players but that’s a bunch of old players who are closer to the end than their best football.

I see them as mid table or little lower as should win most of their home games.

They had a shocking run with covid at the beginning of last season which effectively derailed their whole year.

Oscar Allan is a decent replacement for Kennedy.

Their main issue for me is that I don't think Simpson's message is getting through any more.
I just think the majority of their best players are getting on and their best football is behind them.

I just think the majority of their best players are getting on and their best football is behind them.
Not denying that, but they still have enough talent to finish well above the bottom 4 with a decent home ground advantage.

They are looking more like the new Saint Kilda in no man's land... depending on how they look to rebuild.

I reckon west coast are the worst off team going forward given list profile

At least north and hawthorn have committed to their rebuild , west coast are like us in 2019

Looking at their history they've never missed more than 3 finals series in a row before. In the past they've been able to bounce back pretty quickly, but with their list profile I just can't see them making the finals again for a while.

They might be entering the same stage where we were at in 2020 facing a record breaking finals drought with a long rebuild in front of them.

Hurn 35
Nic Nat 33 in May
Shuey 33 in June

I know you like your old players but that’s a bunch of old players who are closer to the end than their best football.

Just ask Tex and Geelong - 30 is the new 25 ;)

Darling, McGovern, Gaff don't worry me as much as the other 3. Not saying they are a premiership threat, just more that with that core of golden oldies they should easily avoid the bottom of the ladder.

Hurn 35
Nic Nat 33 in May
Shuey 33 in June

Not only old, but in many cases injury-prone (and not just last year, either, all of Shuey/NN/McGovern/Yeo have past history of it)

Not much reason to believe they’ll be fit again (except for hopefully McGovern, I have him in the draft game currently going on lol)

Not only old, but in many cases injury-prone (and not just last year, either, all of Shuey/NN/McGovern/Yeo have past history of it)

Not much reason to believe they’ll be fit again (except for hopefully McGovern, I have him in the draft game currently going on lol)

Shuey played 21 games in 2022. Why wouldn't he be good for 2023?

NN played all games in 2020/2021 before having an injury interrupted 2022. All accounts are he should be good in 2023.

McGovern is the one you should worry about. Hasn't had a full season since 2019!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shuey played 21 games in 2022. Why wouldn't he be good for 2023?

NN played all games in 2020/2021 before having an injury interrupted 2022. All accounts are he should be good in 2023.

McGovern is the one you should worry about. Hasn't had a full season since 2019!
Trying to get through a full season at 30+ with past injury history is a different beast. Wear and tear on old bodies, and all that. You think Nic Nat and Shuey at 32+ years of age will be able to perform at their previous best for all, or even most of the year?

Shuey played 17 games last year btw

Trying to get through a full season at 30+ with past injury history is a different beast. Wear and tear on old bodies, and all that. You think Nic Nat and Shuey at 32+ years of age will be able to perform at their previous best for all, or even most of the year?

And he was nowhere near his best

I wouldn't say at Peak - but Nic Nat is 12 months off of winning his clubs B&F, played the last 3 games (looked pretty damn good against us in Rd 21). With a full preseason I don't see why he can't be a very good ruckman in 2023.

Shuey won't be 2019 - but once again with a full preseason will still be a valuable contributor.

Whilst its not elite - A midfield of Nic Nat, Kelly, Shuey, Yeo, Gaff, Sheed whilst having Allen/Darling up forward and a backline of Hurn/McGovern/Barrass should avoid bottom 4.

Apologies.

Rioli?

Agreed.

They're losing genuine stars due to retirements and aging, and the role players and foot soldiers won't look as impressive without the talent around them.

They just don't have much talent pushing up. Genuine bottom four chance.

McGovern, Shuey, Hurn and Yeo are cooked. The first two have barely fired a shot since the 2018 flag.

NicNat can barely get out on the park, while Gaff is past his best.

A lot of reliance on Kelly, Barass, Sheed (if he can get fit), Darling and Allen.

Don't think they'll win the spoon but they'll likely have half a dozen of these guys retiring next 1-2 years.

I don't think the Eagles are in that bad of a spot.

They finished one game outside the 8 in 2021 and here were games played by some of their top players from 2021 in 2022.

Nic Nat (8 games) - B&F winner 2021
Tom Cole (0 games) - #9 in B&F
Oscar Allen (0 games) - #10 in B&F

Add in very good veterans in Jeremy McGovern (10 games) Dom Sheed (1 game), Yeo (5 games) plus Rioli (13), Witherden (13).

If they can get continuity in their playing list they are every chance of giving the 8 a shake in 2023 - They still have a brilliant coach in Adam Simpson and a distinct home field advantage.
No chance the eagles make the 8. They are a bottom 4 side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back