Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Adelaide - Rd 18

Remove this Banner Ad

All footy coaches and most fans know the major weakness of the WCE:
1. Start attack from defence and hence cannot organise attack when opposition apply full court pressure, denying our kicking and minimising our marking abilities.
2. Intercept defence rather than winning one on one. Forward and midfield one on one defence were minimal.
3. Leave too much defensive work load to the defenders inside 50s

Main reasons for the win yesterday:
1. Both teams focused contest inside the 50 metres and not much contest elsewhere (WCE did apply slightly more pressure in the midfield at times yesterday.) allowing WCE kicking at will in the middle.
2. Adelaide seem to emphasise in delveloping the young team and their ball movement rather than winning the game and allowed WCE easy kick-mark. Both teams registered over 100 marks.
St Kilda will definitely have a different agenda this coming Saturday.
Time will tell whether the improvement is good enough to beat teams more desparate than the Adelaide.

- Sheed was stinky. He is so indecisive, whenever he gets the ball he takes ages to make a decision and you see defenders streaming past him. momentum killer. on the plus side, he only got 16 touches.
Love the bloke but I’ve been saying for a few weeks that he needs to go back to WAFL. Probably not this week due to Shuey missing but once Redden comes back and he can’t find form.

Love the bloke but I’ve been saying for a few weeks that he needs to go back to WAFL. Probably not this week due to Shuey missing but once Redden comes back and he can’t find form.

Even with Shuey out i would bring in Xon or Brander and let Connor play in Sheeds spot.

Sheed 100% needs to go back to the WAFL to find some form as he was horrible yesturday.

Definitely hard to get a gauge on it given I’m not 100% sure Adelaide wanted to win that game from the outset. They’ve played into our hands by playing the way they did and trying to go head to head with our kicking and marking, which any competent coach would know is not a good idea, and the blueprint to beating us is quite clear at this point (the worst team in the league figured it out..).

This week will be interesting as I don’t think the Saints will give us the same luxury and the top teams certainly won’t, especially if we scrape into a finals like atmosphere.

I did enjoy a bit of the overlap and quick play through the corridor which seemed to be a new form of attack for us. But it does still feel like Adelaide almost let us play like that. I don’t think a switch can be flicked during a single week and we come out with an entirely different gameplan that works. Because if we have been training that all year and only picked now to utilise it, weve f*cked up big time.

Definitely hard to get a gauge on it given I’m not 100% sure Adelaide wanted to win that game from the outset. They’ve played into our hands by playing the way they did and trying to go head to head with our kicking and marking, which any competent coach would know is not a good idea, and the blueprint to beating us is quite clear at this point (the worst team in the league figured it out..).

This week will be interesting as I don’t think the Saints will give us the same luxury and the top teams certainly won’t, especially if we scrape into a finals like atmosphere.

I did enjoy a bit of the overlap and quick play through the corridor which seemed to be a new form of attack for us. But it does still feel like Adelaide almost let us play like that. I don’t think a switch can be flicked during a single week and we come out with an entirely different gameplan that works. Because if we have been training that all year and only picked now to utilise it, weve f*cked up big time.

Agree - hoping to see us take on the corridor more in coming weeks - even if pressure is higher - as it is the way modern footy is played.

The top teams just don't attack around the wings as it is too easy to defend.

I'm not as anti our kick/mark game as some others around here - but surely, surely the coaches say only switch when it is 100% we can get out to the other side at least 70m from goal uncontested. Last week we gave up 3 goals from kicking backwards or short inside D50 (either turnovers, or when we go from 60m out kicking over the mark to 20m out kicking over the mark - kick to a contest then have it turned over and the oppo get a shot on goal). Twice yesterday we had goals against as we kicked 40m backwards (albeit Duggo shouldn't drop the mark - but as a team we created the pressure for that to happen from a non-pressure situation).

Cripps... as some commentator pointed out post game, all of Cripps 5 goals came from different circumstances. This is what he brings to the game when he's on song. And that's why when he's off, like in the last weeks, it makes it hard to swallow. Speaking of swallows... 1 swallow does not a summer make.
That segway was smooth AF!

I've already decided that Port is finishing 8th and we're finishing 5th :) I think we've only lost twice at Adelaide oval (made GF both years) and never lost to Port there.

Either way, we should get a classic match-up if we make the 8, will either play Port or Swans.
then dont we want to be 8th?

Positives
Connor West - PLEASE leave him in the side
Harry Edwards coming along nicely
Cripps (Purely because i was flaming him early)

Negatives
Effort - Still lots of play where the players look like they'd rather be elsewhere
Silly fumbles

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives
Connor West - PLEASE leave him in the side
Harry Edwards coming along nicely
Cripps (Purely because i was flaming him early)

Negatives
Effort - Still lots of play where the players look like they'd rather be elsewhere
Silly fumbles
are you happy with edwards game this round?

Would love to see Rotham providing that overlap run from defence that Cole and Hurn provided yesterday. Probably the only bloke in defence that has both pace and great kicking.
Even with Shuey out i would bring in Xon or Brander and let Connor play in Sheeds spot.

Sheed 100% needs to go back to the WAFL to find some form as he was horrible yesturday.
yeah don’t mind that. Brander on wing is a better option and suits the way want to play. Also allows us to play Edwards on the inside a bit more

As far as players + it has all been pretty well covered, onya Westy.

Good positive was leading by 21 pts at 3/4 time then doubling the lead to 42 pt win.

Neg is we still seem to go 40-50 mtr backwards too often especially when half way up the wing.

Another positive, was going to take a gamble on Darling and Ryan in DT and opted for Ryan. Finally a good DT call.
10 Marks to Ryan AND 2 TACKLES OMFG. A little inaccurate but was getting into the play and getting shots which he hasn't been doing lately.

Cripps 25d and 5 goals
Ryan 16d, 10marks and 3.4
Petch 20d, 8marks and 2.2
and even Langdon had 16d.

Now it might just be a coincidence and all our small fwds had a day out on the same day, or just maybe not being so tall in the fwd line could be something to explore
Lets see the same stats against top 8 sides! and want to see more pressure from them - Tackles. Yes they had 10 between them But 7 between 2 of them. Pressure wins games if you are a small forward ( Not only kicking goals ), creates scoring for others.

Lol - I meant Port 5th and us 8th. I don't think we could earn a home final even if we won all our games.

At this point, unless we can finish 6th (looking doubtful), that would be the best case scenario

We play the Adelaide oval as visitors better then anyone else in the league

At this point, unless we can finish 6th (looking doubtful), that would be the best case scenario

We play the Adelaide oval as visitors better then anyone else in the league
I also think it is quite likely it will happen. Our % isn't great compared to Bombers and Tigers, so we will finish 8th if one of them can equal us on wins. I don't see us doing better than 3 wins - two losses for the remaining 5 games, which gives us 12 wins. I'm sure one of the other teams fighting for the 8 can do the same, so % will matter.

Big game on Saturday against Saints (win and we effectively knock them out while helping secure our spot). The derby will be huge as well, it's rare that Freo will be playing for something in the second derby.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back