Review Positives and Negatives vs Adelaide - Round 5 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

We played better against the good teams. We stooped to Adelaides level today. Or is Fyfe just that good?

I also retract my drop Mundy comments from a couple of weeks ago. Dude still has it.
Brayshaw and Logue beastly. Cez and Tucker good.

Going early on Sturt for GOAT still on track.

Serong started well but seemed to fade. Not sure if gametime or if he spent more time forward. He looks as comfortable around the ball as any of our young players. Feel like he will have a 20+ possession game this season if he gets the minutes. Knows how to football.

We need some football smarts to play up forward with Hogan. Tabs kept running in front of his leads.

Time to give Cam Mac a go as the third tall.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Pretty simple really Tabs stay near the goal square. Hogan push up to HFF and thereafter Lobb to about 30-40 out where he took two marks. Hogan have clear space to run at ball carrier. If the option isn’t on bang to ball to one of the two hotspots.

Pretty simple really Tabs stay near the goal square. Hogan push up to HFF and thereafter Lobb to about 30-40 out where he took two marks. Hogan have clear space to run at ball carrier. If the option isn’t on bang to ball to one of the two hotspots.
That’s each of those players’ strength to a tee. Hogan should under no circumstances bring his man to the goal square and try to leap over Tabs. Such poor coaching for that to happen. There’s enough weapons to have a synergy going, yet the three are all in the goal square waiting for a king of the pack mark or huge grab. Such junior stuff that is.

I’m just watching it now on FTA, don’t have Fox or Kayo. Aside from the poor inside 50s, I’m really liking what I’m seeing. Now obvi forward entries and paramount, but for years they’ve had the ‘bomb it long’ mentality drummed into them. It doesn’t take just 5 weeks to undo existing neural pathways and learn a new game plan. There’s been some excellent ball movement, some average, some not even average, but the pressure is great. Get games into the young guys and forward entries sorted, and it’s not so horrendous. I’m thinking we’ll be better when we’re back at Optus. None of the visiting hub teams have been great. Living for 5 weeks away from home, away from your families, away from your own bed, away from your routine is going to take a toll on all of them.

Brisbane (home for the month) smashed an average Port yesterday, WC beat a very, very average Sydney, GC travelled for the first time and got hammered. We might not beat the Saints or win the derby, but once the players/staff have settled back home, I think we’ll start to see that we’re heading in the right direction.

Get Acres, Cox, Fyfe in and we’re immediately better. We’re playing with only one KPD, forcing medium defenders to play tall, and while this is not a great situation, it’s forcing Logue to grow and develop, and he’s looking awesome.

Positives:
-Brayshaw and Cerra, both very solid if not spectacular. Should both spend more time in the middle, probably even at the expense of Tucker who can contribute elsewhere.

-Defence; Logue, Young etc. Wilson better, S.Hill solid.

Negatives:
-Any team but Adelaide would have belted us there, a relief to get a win but god what a dire game.

-Forward entries except off the fast break are absolutely disgusting. Like honestly what are they thinking half the time. High bombs to packs, high bombs to the pocket. Just try and hit a lead for once.

-Forward structure is disgusting. No co-ordination. Hogan, Tabs and Lobb (less so him) spoiling each other, both leading to the same pocket. No blocking for each other or attempt to create space by drawing your man out.

Honestly the above two points really need to be sorted out or we are never going to be good. We've gone out and paid a fair bit for a KPF in Hogan who is really a lead up forward, he's not going to be clunking packmarks and outwrestling bigger defenders. Who is the forwards coach, diabolical.

Everything else in between. Schultz, Bewley looked to pick up early then faded. It is nice watching Mundy wind it back but disappointing that he has to for us to pull ahead.

Better skills and we win by 10 goals. Play a better side and we lose by 10 goals.

TBH, there isn't really much to take from this game other than the performance of the young guys and Mundy stepping up. JLo also needs to instruct the forwards (particularly Tabs) to stop leading to the pocket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TBH, there isn't really much to take from this game other than the performance of the young guys and Mundy stepping up. JLo also needs to instruct the forwards (particularly Tabs) to stop leading to the pocket.

Some forwards need to lead to the pocket to drag their men away from the guys leading up the middle. It's on the kicker to choose the better option.

I feel like with Hogan he is using all his ability to try and get himself back on track, playing for himself and not for the team, in doing so is playing selfishly and with a bad attitude.

He has a great kick but I worry about the rest of his game and his place in the team, has a McCarthy feel about it all, at some point his mental demons might start winning if he can't get his footy right.

We mostly have the tools in the kit bag with regards to a forward line but it's just not working at the moment, leading patterns , kicking into the forward fifty , synergy between forwards, it's all just a bit disconnected.

Last edited:
Ok 3rd quarter was pure unadulterated shyte. Can’t play Lobb, Hogan and Taberner. Lobb stays, either Tabs or Hogan out.

Logue immense.
Brayshaw immense.
Cerra very good.
Sturt will be awesome, playing a good game.
Young and Serong looking good.
Darcy was solid.

Darcy turned 22 two weeks ago, the others all 20 or younger. I’m not freaking out.

Aish a great pick up, Hughes looking good.

Looking forward to 4th quarter.

Some forwards need to lead to the pocket to drag their men away from the guys leading up the middle. It's on the kicker to choose the better option.

Have a look at the example when Brayshaw has it about 65 out about half way or 2/3’s through the third quarter. There’s plenty of space in the middle about 35 out from goal with 1 player there and it’s a Freo player but I can’t make out who it is. Whoever it is has no intention of wanting the ball, he’s just standing there on his own. Instead all of the action and leads are to the pocket and so that’s where Andy kicks it.

I’m not disagreeing with you because I think you’re right but have a look at that one. It tells me that it’s definitely a preference for us - whether it be by the forwards or the coaching staff I’m not sure.

I realise that if you turn it over 35m out in the guts, you’re exposed on the rebound but surely you have to go there if the lead and option is anything 70/30 in your favour. Going to the pocket is low percentage and overly defensive imo.

Have a look at the example when Brayshaw has it about 65 out about half way or 2/3’s through the third quarter. There’s plenty of space in the middle about 35 out from goal with 1 player there and it’s a Freo player but I can’t make out who it is. Whoever it is has no intention of wanting the ball, he’s just standing there on his own. Instead all of the action and leads are to the pocket and so that’s where Andy kicks it.

Fair enough if that instance is as you say, but as a general thing I see a lot of posts criticising Tabs for dragging his man into Hogan's contests.

Without analysing the tapes I don't think you can be critical of him crowding other key forwards but then also criticise him for leading away from the corridor if that's where the space is. We all want that synergy between the forwards and that often means some of them will lead to places that seem sub-optimal in isolation.

+ We're finally on the board
+ Brayshaw and Cerra really stepped up
+ Sturt, Young and Serong all strong contributors
+ Logue was immense
+ Tucker really growing in importance
+ Thought Darcy had a solid game

- Our inside 50s were mostly terrible and has been for years. Just bomb it in too often and never looks like there's many leads going on to hit. Haven't worked out if this is a structure issue, forward issue, midfield issue or all of the above.
- Skills by both sides were very poor. Any Americans watching must think we're a country.of mongloids

To be honest, so long as there was lots of big hits, tackles, general body contact and long kicks, many of the North Americans that chose to watch (who would probably be mostly male) would probably have been relatively satisfied.

And I would probably query why that Freo player was standing flat-footed in the space our key forwards should be leading into.

And I would probably query why that Freo player was standing flat-footed in the space our key forwards should be leading into.

Agree, it was strange. I hope it wasn’t a Crows player but sounds like it may’ve been, would make more sense. To avoid any embarrassment, no one look at the replay ok😜

But, in any case there was absolutely no movement in the centre of the ground by our forwards.

Big Sean is an odd one, don’t know if it’s my bias but I swear he almost always come home strong - when he actually makes it through the game.

Port last year where he annihilated Lovett and Ryder in the last and today where he was pretty good in the last. For whatever reason it doesn’t seem to be a pure fitness thing

Big Sean is an odd one, don’t know if it’s my bias but I swear he almost always come home strong - when he actually makes it through the game.

Port last year where he annihilated Lovett and Ryder in the last and today where he was pretty good in the last. For whatever reason it doesn’t seem to be a pure fitness thing
Looked serviceable today. Plenty of room for growth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back