Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the AFL has struggled to strike the right balance on the abuse rule but there is absolutely no reason it shouldn't apply to players on the bench too. It shouldn't be tolerated.

I don't actually know what Shuey did or said, but "they never pay it like that" isn't a good argument. The umpire dissent/abuse interpretation is about setting a standard for grassroot levels. You should expect as a player that if you remonstrate from the bench it might get the same penalty as if you were on field.
Fine, so apply it consistently that’s the problem. One week frees are being handed ou lt for players with arms out, the next the whistle is put away then we’re calling for people arguing a call from the bench?

If you’re going to pick and choose when you call something it’s not actually a hard and fast rule it’s just a tool for impacting the outcome of a game when you want to use it and instead of being given a clear directive from the head of the department we get “it all comes down to the interpretation of the individual umpire” from Brad Scott which is absolute garbage.

Make the rule, enforce the rule consistently, players and fans all clear and happy. Too hard and AFL prefer to have as much discretion available as possible to do what’s in the best interests of marketing the game.

Jack Riewoldt bitching and moaning about free kicks after very contest, is that any different to a player holding their arms out?

Biggest takeaway from this for me is Trew attending 17 CBAs, the third most out of all our mids.

Those numbers are actually very reassuring to see.

Trew is an in-and-under, contested type player and I was worried we’d give him the graveyard shift on the HF flank. Glad we gave him good minutes in the middle, would’ve been a great learning experience for him.

Happy to see us trialling Petch in there too, I doubt he’s transitioning into a midfield role anytime soon, but good to give him the experience.

Glad that in a year like this, we haven’t been afraid to try new things and give some young players opportunity (Yeo, Jones to HB, giving Jamieson a run of games, Hough to the wing etc).

Great effort.
We got beaten by a team who got smashed in the middle..thanks Nic, Kelly and Shuey. But who's transition from the backline into their forward line is just fantastic. They run in numbers , they don't miss many connecting handballs and they don't rely on a few players. I'm sure if Broad played for us instead of Duggan and Roth we would of been so much better.

+ Nic, Kelly and Boots
Petrol did enough to show that maybe just maybe
A much quicker effort to transition
_ Turnover from the backline

However what really gets me ( apart from the enormously bias commentating) is reading a years worth of bagging players out from certain posters who just want a kick boy. If it's not JD or JK or Shuey or Yeo or Kelly or even Nic .. now that they are showing us once again how good they are . Then Gaff. Sure he's not playing great. He missed a few games early with some ankle issues and I think he is still carrying...I bet his running numbers are down. And maybe he needs a spell. But the slanging on a guy who has been an absolute champion for this club is just s**t.

Unpaid push in the back ala Kerr broke his balance and stride.

If I remember it correctly it was how Chesser is missing the season too. Was in the air when he marked and was shoved in the back which probably threw the timing of his landing so that he landed awkwardly, and I think Shep missed the grand final with a hammy when he was shoved in the back by De Goey when running full tilt. The unnecessary shove in the back does a bit of damage at times.

Biggest takeaway from this for me is Trew attending 17 CBAs, the third most out of all our mids.

Gaff’s CBAs have gone down consistently over the course of the year and now nearly non existent. Tick.

Redden and Shuey losing CBAs for Trew and Petch. Tick.

Willie still used in the middle. Tick.

One problem was with the selection today, it forced West into a forwardline role which doesn’t do anything for him. Hard not to picture all of his minutes coming in the midfield if/when there’s games without Redden.

Eagles using the post bye period correctly so far, trying new players and new roles. Controlling what they can control, big tick.

Biggest positive for me is that the players are still capable of playing for the coach and the coach/coaching panel are making changes.

The last few weeks have got me feeling a lot more positive about our future direction. Thought Trew was ok on debut and I'm excited to see what what other potentially green shoots we see over the rest of the year.

I could have done without the record losing streaks, but this year could with hindsight, prove to be a good opportunity to take stock, replenish and go again.

Missed the game live this arvo as I had to take my son to a birthday party but just caught an 18 minute “Fox Mini” highlight package.

Boy oh boy, if the red hot Rotham HTB call (ball knocked out in the tackle and where the hell was the prior opportunity?) and subsequent goal by Pickett is a sign of things to come from the umpiring in this game it’s fair to say I’ll be farking livid watching the full replay judging by some of the posts in the game day thread.

Sounds like we got the rough end of the pineapple from the umps yet again.

Great effort.
We got beaten by a team who got smashed in the middle..thanks Nic, Kelly and Shuey. But who's transition from the backline into their forward line is just fantastic. They run in numbers , they don't miss many connecting handballs and they don't rely on a few players. I'm sure if Broad played for us instead of Duggan and Roth we would of been so much better.

+ Nic, Kelly and Boots
Petrol did enough to show that maybe just maybe
A much quicker effort to transition
_ Turnover from the backline

However what really gets me ( apart from the enormously bias commentating) is reading a years worth of bagging players out from certain posters who just want a kick boy. If it's not JD or JK or Shuey or Yeo or Kelly or even Nic .. now that they are showing us once again how good they are . Then Gaff. Sure he's not playing great. He missed a few games early with some ankle issues and I think he is still carrying...I bet his running numbers are down. And maybe he needs a spell. But the slanging on a guy who has been an absolute champion for this club is just s**t.

Champion really is a word that gets thrown around to loosely these days…. A very good player yeah but not a champion…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Missed the game live this arvo as I had to take my son to a birthday party but just caught an 18 minute “Fox Mini” highlight package.

Boy oh boy, if the red hot Rotham HTB call (ball knocked out in the tackle and where the hell was the prior opportunity?) and subsequent goal by Pickett is a sign of things to come from the umpiring in this game it’s fair to say I’ll be farking livid watching the full replay judging by some of the posts in the game day thread.

Sounds like we got the rough end of the pineapple from the umps yet again.
Mate are you in for a treat then. These umps today just seemed to make up s**t as they went along. Any time there was a soft free kick you can guarantee it went to Richmond in their forward line, and then our forwards were getting completely mugged when the balls not even within 10 metres of them and no free kick to us.

Mate are you in for a treat then. These umps today just seemed to make up s**t as they went along. Any time there was a soft free kick you can guarantee it went to Richmond in their forward line, and then our forwards were getting completely mugged when the balls not even within 10 metres of them and no free kick to us.
Exactly the same thing happened when we played them at Metricon in 2020.

They got 8 direct goals from free kicks i50 and our blokes got nothing. There was one so blatant on Cripps it was corrupt not to pay it.

players out from certain posters who just want a kick boy. If it's not JD or JK or Shuey or Yeo or Kelly or even Nic .. now that they are showing us once again how good they are . Then Gaff. Sure he's not playing great. He missed a few games early with some ankle issues and I think he is still carrying..
Except Gaff hasn't played a single decent game in like 3 years now.

Witherden is a problematioc but should come in. This assume JJ is free to play. Rotham is well short of a contributor as well and should not play. Problem is who else?
Foley should play over witherden every day of the week .

Foley is hard at it accountable defender who may not have the kicking penetration of witho also doesn't turn it over as much .

For me rotham and yeo out for

HEdwards has to come in for Mackay matchup

Basso takes 3rd tall

Foley in as next best to cover yeo

B Bazzo Hedwards hurn
HB Jones Barrass duggan
Foley/Hough

The worst free call of the night was the 50m penalty against Ryan in the first quarter .

Daniel rioli ran Ryan into the protected zone . Rewaldt went sideways of his mark not 1 not 2 but three separate steps around and the ump refused to call play on .

What was Ryan supposed to do ?

He wasn't originally in the protected zone until Jack went 6 feet to his right .

The ump should have called play on after the first step off his line like they did to us all night .

I really liked the way Trew worked into the game. Was well out of his depth at the start and then found a way to contribute and linked up with Shuey for a couple of really good clearances.

Jones is putting together some good footy at half back and love aggressive he is.

I like SPS and hope he can keep his body right as he needs a run at it. Played well in the comeback against Adelaide and did some nice things in the short time he was on today.

I think the AFL has struggled to strike the right balance on the abuse rule but there is absolutely no reason it shouldn't apply to players on the bench too. It shouldn't be tolerated.

I don't actually know what Shuey did or said, but "they never pay it like that" isn't a good argument. The umpire dissent/abuse interpretation is about setting a standard for grassroot levels. You should expect as a player that if you remonstrate from the bench it might get the same penalty as if you were on field.

The players aren't on the ground. It's the same as if the quarter is already finished, you can't pay a free kick. He literally made up a rule on the spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back