Review Positives and Negatives vs Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives
- Justin Longmuir. Won't die wondering, changed things up and backed the kids in the guts. Didn't lose his mind with the injuries and that first quarter.
- Aish may be our most important player now (come at me). He doesn't do anything flashy but he is VERY effective and rarely makes an error.
- Brayshaws composure is really maturing. He doesn't blast away and looks for the best option without any panic.
- Schultz, epic. Tackles, goals, pressure and passion.
- Darcy was best on in his limited time on.
- Walters was great and really drove us forward even while under an injury cloud.
- Darcy Tucker. Love him like he loves a goal.
- Taberner. He is who he is and any negative talk about him should be tempered with all the great things he does.
- Serong, definitley has potential to be elite.
- Duman was bloody excellent, should be in the side before Wilson every time.
- Lobb stepped up and competed. I thought he was soft as butter when he came across but he is impressive.
- Best win I can remember since probably THAT final in Geelong.
- Brad Hill having ZERO impact. Suck eggs.
- Watching Saints fans implode is fun with all their carry on over the years. Suck eggs.

Negatives
- That 1st quarter was the worst footy I have watched in the last 10 years. Was genuinely hard. If you didn't keep watching then you aren't hardcore enough.
- Injuries, can't blame Weber for most of them but geez it is tough.
- Fyfe injured? As much as I hate chat about him playing forward.....did it kind of
work well?
- That Walters 50m penalty.
- Goal kicking in important moments
- The commentary team barracking for us to lose. Just hard to listen to.
- No post match discussion / song.

Three-word analysis of every Fremantle Dockers player in amazing comeback win over St Kilda
The West Australian
Saturday, 11 July 2020 1:02PM

Lachie Schultz: Stone cold killer!
Nat Fyfe: Moved mountains, remarkable
Sean Darcy: Terrific before clobbering
Michael Walters: Carried load admirably
David Mundy: Surprisingly little impact
Hayden Young: Real injury shame
Darcy Tucker: Has become vital
Andrew Brayshaw: Backed up beautifully
Nathan Wilson: Pleasing form return
Ethan Hughes: Membrey edged him
Luke Ryan: Held defensive fort
Blake Acres: Understated Freo debut
Matt Taberner: Simply huge, imposing
James Aish: Under the radar
Adam Cerra: Not his best
Caleb Serong: Kid’s a beauty
Stephen Hill: Bested his brother
Travis Colyer: Second half lift
Brett Bewley: Becoming rather consistent
Rory Lobb: Ruck shift... gutsy
Taylin Duman: Late inclusion, impressive
Bailey Banfield: Still not convinced

One definite negative is that we are still being killed by one quarter of subpar footy. Lucky to fight back from it this week but against better teams (like other games) we might not be so lucky.

I think whilst we transition from Mundy and Fyfe (to less of a midfield role) to others picking up those roles then we are going to continue to have these quarters that seem to drop in intensity. Willing to wear that though if we come out the other side with more experience in the midfield.

Positives
- Justin Longmuir. Won't die wondering, changed things up and backed the kids in the guts. Didn't lose his mind with the injuries and that first quarter.
- Aish may be our most important player now (come at me). He doesn't do anything flashy but he is VERY effective and rarely makes an error.
- Brayshaws composure is really maturing. He doesn't blast away and looks for the best option without any panic.
- Schultz, epic. Tackles, goals, pressure and passion.
- Darcy was best on in his limited time on.
- Walters was great and really drove us forward even while under an injury cloud.
- Darcy Tucker. Love him like he loves a goal.
- Taberner. He is who he is and any negative talk about him should be tempered with all the great things he does.
- Serong, definitley has potential to be elite.
- Duman was bloody excellent, should be in the side before Wilson every time.
- Lobb stepped up and competed. I thought he was soft as butter when he came across but he is impressive.
- Best win I can remember since probably THAT final in Geelong.
- Brad Hill having ZERO impact. Suck eggs.
- Watching Saints fans implode is fun with all their carry on over the years. Suck eggs.

Negatives
- That 1st quarter was the worst footy I have watched in the last 10 years. Was genuinely hard. If you didn't keep watching then you aren't hardcore enough.
- Injuries, can't blame Weber for most of them but geez it is tough.
- Fyfe injured? As much as I hate chat about him playing forward.....did it kind of
work well?
- That Walters 50m penalty.
- Goal kicking in important moments
- The commentary team barracking for us to lose. Just hard to listen to.
- No post match discussion / song.

I watched but didn't complain - can I have a "Hardcore" badge or something? ;P (I did turn the sound off on the commentary though).

+ The AFL News, Trade Rumours, Results meltdown.

+ Best Freo game I've ever watched. Will admit I missed a few contenders like the 2013 QF and PF, but that comeback under such adversity is just the Wharfie Spirit the club represents.

Plugger35 is that you?

Kudos to your boys.
Ours thought they only had to play one quarter and instead of yours just crawling into their shells, they put in the hard yards and turned it around.
You should be rapt.
Acres 1 : Hill 0

I was sooooooo close to switching the Foxtel off at the quarter time break..... I'm glad I didn't. What a game! :p

We can't underestimate how important this win was for our young group, especially when you factor in that we had a makeshift backline and we were down two rotations for a big part of the game. Apparently we broke our record for biggest comeback win from quarter time deficit in the club's history.

Points of note:
  • Fyfe was great but is still slightly underdone and seemed off the pace for parts of the game - we're rolling the dice with the injury gods playing him at the moment. Strangely enough we seem to perform better in the middle if he's either not playing or he's in the forward line.
  • Long's hit on Hodor was a dog act.
  • I don't get the issue some people have with Shultz? Yes, he's not a world beater and we all know that but he's an important cog of our team given the lack of pressure from most of our other guys. He also knows how to stick a tackle. If he can contribute a little more to the scoreboard each week then he's more than serviceable for us. Moving forward, I hope he holds his spot and he gets more continuity in his game.
  • The midfield really lifted after quarter time. JLo doesn't seem like the type to give the boys a bake but whatever he said to them after the insipid start to the game worked.
  • The backline was outstanding given the fact that we had no genuine KPD's. 👏👏👏 These guys can't do much if the boys up the field aren't doing their bit to restrict the opposition's supply forward of centre.
  • Our biggest issue for the rest of the season (aside from injuries to key players) is winning the centre clearance. We'll be in a great position if this is resolved, but if JLo can't get on top of it with the personnel at his disposal then maybe we should start playing more defensive at the bounce to force a ball up and create congestion around the ball? Bringing more of our boys into the play would hopefully even up the odds more and stem the flow of goals the opposition regularly seem to heap on us each week.

Last edited:
Three-word analysis of every Fremantle Dockers player in amazing comeback win over St Kilda
The West Australian
Saturday, 11 July 2020 1:02PM

Lachie Schultz: Stone cold killer!
Nat Fyfe: Moved mountains, remarkable
Sean Darcy: Terrific before clobbering
Michael Walters: Carried load admirably
David Mundy: Surprisingly little impact
Hayden Young: Real injury shame
Darcy Tucker: Has become vital
Andrew Brayshaw: Backed up beautifully
Nathan Wilson: Pleasing form return
Ethan Hughes: Membrey edged him
Luke Ryan: Held defensive fort
Blake Acres: Understated Freo debut
Matt Taberner: Simply huge, imposing
James Aish: Under the radar
Adam Cerra: Not his best
Caleb Serong: Kid’s a beauty
Stephen Hill: Bested his brother
Travis Colyer: Second half lift
Brett Bewley: Becoming rather consistent
Rory Lobb: Ruck shift... gutsy
Taylin Duman: Late inclusion, impressive
Bailey Banfield: Still not convinced

that assessment on Mundy is garbage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Injuries hurt in the 2nd half.

Impressed freo got the win today despite being 36 points down in the 2nd quarter.

I loved Cale serongs beautiful set shot in the 3rd quarter.

Lachie Schulz has been bashed here verbally for at least 4 weeks and He stepped up and got the game winning goal.

Positives:
- Schultz!
- Brayshaw and Tucker standing up in the middle has the two pronged effect of allowing Fyfe to stay forward. Massively important for us today when Darcy went down and Lobb had to play ruck.
- Duman, Hughes, and Ryan really composed in defence. While still not at their best, Hill and Wilson really attacked the contest today and stood up.
- Darcy pre injury
- Serong massive first career goal
- Taberner two clutch boundary goals in a quarter
- BHill getting 11 disposals for $900k

Negatives:
- Channel 7 cutting off as soon as the final siren went. Glad I got to see West Coast warm up at the expense of our own celebrations :rolleyes:
- Gerard Healy's commentating
- pretty sure I put my shoulder out celebrating.

JLo’s coaching. So calm, backed the youth. Changed the plan. They went faster and in groups.
Couldn't agree more.

Short term pain for long term gain. The more games we get into the young guys the quicker we're going to head back up the ladder.

What makes it even better is that they now get a big block of games at home and in front of crowds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back