Autopsy post mortem v hawks

iSmack

Team Captain
Apr 6, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This image sums up the 3rd qrtr....P.s Liam Shiels kicked a goal straight out of this contest.

1593423018830.png

Go_Roos!

Club Legend
May 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I kinda get it that it’s hard to believe a team can lay 60+ tackles yet not get a HTB decision in your favour. But the examples shown on the telly tonight certainly weren’t worthy of free kicks. Perhaps, you heinous little goblin, if you trained your players to play to the rules and adopt the spirit of the game for the betterment of the sport you might be admired.
However, if you ever want to coach us, please sing out

kangaroo7

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is that True? Thomas Sicily (NMFC 1898-1900) is related?

John (Jack) Sicily was his name. Recruited from West Melbourne in 1893, he was one of North's stars. In mid 1896 he and captain Tommy O'Dea set sail for W.A. along with many other footballers, and played in the budding W.A. competition. Sicily returned to North in 1898 for a further three seasons, playing his last match in 1900.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Jed can destroy himself in a contest and not get injured, for that alone he stays in.

Someone has to be the wrecking ball that turns the opposition softer than a pillow and subsequently go completely missing after.

You can't track the psychological game on a stat sheet like that, he'll make 'em think twice before going for that ball.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Pushing out in contests.

Holding after a mark.

Creeping 2-3 metres over the Mark. Everytime.

A few of his classic hits.

What about resorting to rugby in the 2008 grand final and continually running Geelong points over the try line?

He's basically initiating gridiron tactics in AFL football at the moment (blocking), except as opposed to gridiron, he can also utilize them when his team doesn't have the ball. He does not play within the spirit of the game and cares NOUGHT for spectacle, he only cares about winning at any cost, and he generally achieves that.

You only have to look at the dog who is president of that club in order to see why the likes of Clarkson's crap are permissible. Ultimately, we pay the price for playing the sport properly and with integrity.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
S.A Spurs, Liverpool
Is Brown carrying an injury?

Only reason I can think of for him constantly being to the side of contests and then reaching with one arm.

For those old enough, he reminded me of bad Corey McKernan.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why do we stifle ourselves when we know we can play exciting football?

That last 5 mins was the sorta stuff you love to see as a fan. Blokes crashing packs, Polec getting the ball in space ready to unload, youngsters taking the game on etc.

We know we can beat teams both ways, so why be so slow for 3.5 quarters? The Hawks couldn't get near it once we got on top.

Honestly the Hawks had no answer in the last 5 mins. Moved the ball so quickly they couldn't set up for a loose rebound.

I don't think it was our decision to go slow for 3.5 quarters. The Hawks put pressure on us all game and we didn't handle it. For the 10 mins they took their foot off and we gained momentum.

The issue isn't with effort, it's with our inability to handle pressure.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I don't think it was our decision to go slow for 3.5 quarters. The Hawks put pressure on us all game and we didn't handle it. For the 10 mins they took their foot off and we gained momentum.

LOL @ "pressure".

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
We absolutely steamrolled them when we got our game going. Good signs.

I wonder what Clarkson's whinge to the umpires would have been then?

"They're just steam rolling through our constant blocking, holding and throwing.................NOT FAIR!"

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Effort WAS an issue though. We were stagnant ahead of the ball for large periods of time during the 2nd and 3rd quarter. Not enough players were running or laying blocks for eachother. Sure, their pressure was high than ours during the same period, but that was half caused by us constantly putting ourselves under pressure by executing 4 'safe' options in a row that move the ball about 30 meters laterally and eventually results in an intercept or fumble.

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I didn't think the effort was there.

Hawks were loose way too often and we refused to work harder to stop the ball getting on the outside as well as work harder going forward so we could hit someone up inside 50.

It was a dull-boring horrid Brad Scott-esque 'switched off' brand of football for 3.5 quarters until we suddenly decided to give a s**t.

The Hawks pressure was average at best, we've seen that pressure before and proven we could handle it (see Rick18's assessment of Richmond game last year)

We didn't care for 3.5 qtrs and thanks to our backline, we stayed in it til we turned it on.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I didn't think the effort was there.

Hawks were loose way too often and we refused to work harder to stop the ball getting on the outside as well as work harder going forward so we could hit someone up inside 50.

It was a dull-boring horrid Brad Scott-esque 'switched off' brand of football for 3.5 quarters until we suddenly decided to give a sh*t.

The Hawks pressure was average at best, we've seen that pressure before and proven we could handle it (see Rick18's assessment of Richmond game last year)

We didn't care for 3.5 qtrs and thanks to our backline, we stayed in it til we turned it on.

IMO a bit harsh to say it was 3.5 quarters. The energy and drive was definitely there in the first quarter, even if there were still mistakes. And while i'd agree we didn't get our gameplan going in the first, the pressure meant that neither did the hawks.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
IMO a bit harsh to say it was 3.5 quarters. The energy and drive was definitely there in the first quarter, even if there were still mistakes. And while i'd agree we didn't get our gameplan going in the first, the pressure meant that neither did the hawks.

We cracked in hard, that wasn’t the issue. Our blokes had no issues smashing in but they seemed scared to back their skills into breaking through Clarkos cluster *, playing with caution and second guessing.

Clarkson won this from the box. Then the dude has the audacity to blame umpiring for the state of the games ugliest, deflecting that his game style is what’s making it ugly.
Now he’s probably going to have the umpires paying frees for HTB like crazy. The man’s a genius. Plays 4D chess

Paul Mac

All Australian
Jun 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Am I the only one that thinks that it is odd that a 100kg player was outmarked easily by a 78kg player who looks like he made the decision to mark at the last second? Or am I not giving Brown enough credit for pulling up?
Sorry for intrusion but when watching the game and watching this moment in the game that was my query as well. I would have thought you wanted your key forward to demand that mark. If that was plugger, carey , dunstall or whoever they would have been pushing him out the way to grab the ball IMO. Maybe his confidence was really shat at that stage?. I must admit though i thought Brown was illegally taken off the ball in marking contests a fair few times though.

franjon

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2004
Altona
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
Sorry for intrusion but when watching the game and watching this moment in the game that was my query as well. I would have thought you wanted your key forward to demand that mark. If that was plugger, carey , dunstall or whoever they would have been pushing him out the way to grab the ball IMO. Maybe his confidence was really shat at that stage?. I must admit though i thought Brown was illegally taken off the ball in marking contests a fair few times though.
He's a bit lost without help. You are right with the guys you mentioned. But they were physically bigger than him. Brown is a decent height, but he need's to spend some serious time in the gym.

We cracked in hard, that wasn’t the issue. Our blokes had no issues smashing in but they seemed scared to back their skills into breaking through Clarkos cluster fu**, playing with caution and second guessing.

Clarkson won this from the box. Then the dude has the audacity to blame umpiring for the state of the games ugliest, deflecting that his game style is what’s making it ugly.
Now he’s probably going to have the umpires paying frees for HTB like crazy. The man’s a genius. Plays 4D chess
Kennett's influence.

Teaching him to have the audacity to be a right bastard.

We really need someone to analyse the game properly and see if he was full of s**t about it then if he was post a proper thread on the main board pointing out the scragging, borderline cheating etc etc

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
He's a bit lost without help. You are right with the guys you mentioned. But they were physically bigger than him. Brown is a decent height, but he need's to spend some serious time in the gym.

A pointless exercise considering his genetics and biomechanics.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A pointless exercise considering his genetics and biomechanics.
and an equally pointless exercise on the part of those - incl in the media - who are demanding he 'smash packs', 'bring some physical presence' etc etc; it's not his game - the structure in recent weeks, without a viable second tall, has been Brown's problem - Xerri might be the answer while we wait for Larkey

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
and an equally pointless exercise on the part of those - incl in the media - who are demanding he 'smash packs', 'bring some physical presence' etc etc; it's not his game - the structure in recent weeks, without a viable second tall, has been Brown's problem - Xerri might be the answer while we wait for Larkey

Avoid them.

You will get better football analysis here than you will get from 95% of the AFL media.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Avoid them.

You will get better football analysis here than you will get from 95% of the AFL media.
I wouldn't suggest for a minute that you'd pick Xerri over Larkey, but in style, Xerri as the bang crash type is a good fit for Brown; if Larkey is out again, Xerri will get another game for sure, and if he can pluck a few esp. on the wing in transition, it will transform the game for Brown

Back