Toast Power Aboriginal programs - Why 'Community'? PCL Explained

In the China thread I mentioned that I had a discussion about Lockhart Road a few years ago I said to him that I thought we should continue doing work in through NT and go up into PNG to find a few David Rodan type balls of muscle and somehow get around Brisbane's hold on players in PNG?? I remember LR saying bugger PNG, keep going north to China.

It reminded me of something else LR told me 12 months ago maybe a bit more, that KT was really pissed off that the AFL handed over the NT to 5 Victorian clubs for their Next Generation Academy zones and that we lost any potential access to NT kids despite doing all our community work there with our players sometimes and sometimes without them. This map from page 8 of the Power Community Limited Prospectus shows why the Casual One was so upset. Its just the NT part of our comunity work and how many towns and communities we do work in. The SA towns is in the prospectus, I have just cropped them out.

Power Community Limited - Educational Footprint in South Australia and Northern Territory

upload_2018-3-7_17-54-8.png

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
In the China thread I mentioned that I had a discussion about Lockhart Road a few years ago I said to him that I thought we should continue doing work in through NT and go up into PNG to find a few David Rodan type balls of muscle and somehow get around Brisbane's hold on players in PNG?? I remember LR saying bugger PNG, keep going north to China.

It reminded me of something else LR told me 12 months ago maybe a bit more, that KT was really pissed off that the AFL handed over the NT to 5 Victorian clubs for their Next Generation Academy zones and that we lost any potential access to NT kids despite doing all our community work there with our players sometimes and sometimes without them. This map from page 8 of the Power Community Limited Prospectus shows why the Casual One was so upset. Its just the NT part of our comunity work and how many towns and communities we do work in. The SA towns is in the prospectus, I have just cropped them out.

Power Community Limited - Educational Footprint in South Australia and Northern Territory

View attachment 467070

Zones are an alien concept to me. From afar, they seem to be source of trouble. Are they really necessary?

Zones are an alien concept to me. From afar, they seem to be source of trouble. Are they really necessary?
Depends what you want to do with the zone you get allocated. In 1897 the SANFL introduced metropolitan zones based on electoral boundaries for the then 7 SANFL teams. In 1969 they introduced country zones. Port got the furthest from Adelaide what we call the West Coast mainly towns on Eyre Peninsula but also inland from, Tumby Bay and Port Lincoln on the east coastal side of that zone all the way to the Western Australian border and north of the coast like Kimba and Kyancutta. There werent many towns 200km from the coast so a big chunk of SA had no zone and maybe 5,000 people lived in an area of 500,000 square kms.

We initially said * no way, that is too far away and you have only given us that zone because we are too successful. But we got off our arse and went and established relationships with football clubs in the different towns and that period 1970-1996 before we got into the AFL, some of our greatest players of that era come from that West Coast zone. We were given an incentive, one that didn't look too tasty up front, but hard work and great community relationships saw us turn what we thought was a sows ear into a silk purse, to borrow an analogy from our Chinese friends.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Depends what you want to do with the zone you get allocated. In 1897 the SANFL introduced metropolitan zones based on electoral boundaries for the then 7 SANFL teams. In 1969 they introduced country zones. Port got the furthest from Adelaide what we call the West Coast mainly towns on Eyre Peninsula but also inland from, Tumby Bay and Port Lincoln on the east coastal side of that zone all the way to the Western Australian border and north of the coast like Kimba and Kyancutta. There werent many towns 200km from the coast so a big chunk of SA had no zone and maybe 5,000 people lived in an area of 500,000 square kms.

We initially said **** no way, that is too far away and you have only given us that zone because we are too successful. But we got off our arse and went and established relationships with football clubs in the different towns and that period 1970-1996 before we got into the AFL, some of our greatest players of that era come from that West Coast zone. We were given an incentive, one that didn't look to tasty up front, but hard work and great community relationships saw us turn what we thought was a sows ear into a silk purse, to borrow an analogy from our Chinese friends.

But that's the point. Port is working in NT, then got "dezoned." There is a draft, isn't there? Even if a club had the greatest Academy in all Australia, it wouldn't be able to keep all the players. Why not let the clubs free to explore anywhere?

But that's the point. Port is working in NT, then got "dezoned." There is a draft, isn't there? Even if a club had the greatest Academy in all Australia, it wouldn't be able to keep all the players. Why not let the clubs free to explore anywhere?

But the AFL set up Next Generation Academies and has put in zones in early 2016, all over Australia to attract aboriginal kids and multi-cultural kids especially refugees or kids of refugees to give them extra coaching to get them to play football and not soccer.

This was partly driven by what they saw in western Sydney after the GWS was set up, where over 40% of the population of that 2m people in those 14 councils that make up GWS, are born overseas, and when you factor in their kids its over 60% of that population and they tend to play soccer.

You also have aboriginal kids from rural town or bush aboriginal communities struggling to stay on AFL lists as they can't handle all the modern day requirements, of the meetings and strategy stuff, the stuff with corporates etc plus the shock of moving from a 400km west of Alice Spring township of 300 people to 4.5m people city like Melbourne or a bigger city in Sydney.

So now if you have a kid go through these 18 Next Generation Academies the team that a player goes through their academy, they have the first chance to draft them. If another club wants to draft the kid at pick 18, you have to give up the equivalent of pick 18 to get him. If you dont want them then anyone can draft them.

SA government used to run the Northern Territory until the Commonwealth took over in 1911 and they got self government in the late 1970's but are very dependent on the Commonwealth government. SA has always had a close relationship with NT and many people have moved back and forth across the boarder. When the AFL started playing games up in Darwin in the early 2000's Port used to go up as the away team and Melbourne clubs would get paid $500k from the NT government to move a home game to Darwin.

I remember Port going and playing combined sides in Darwin in the late 70's in the SANFL days. We regularly went up their for preseason games and players from NT would try out with Port. Some made it many didn't.

When we were struggling in 2010 we went to the AFL and the AFLNT and worked out a deal that we would be the away team but we would promote the game and do all this community work and as the Vic team was getting a fixed $500k to play their home game there, so the NT government collected the ticket sales, we would split the ticket sales with the NT government. It was supposed to be worth about $100k a game if it was a sell out. The AFL said we would play there between 2011-13 as the away team and that the AFL wanted us to own NT like Hawthorn owned Tasmania. It was a directive from the AFL and we planned strategies around it.

Then the AFL take away the deal from us, stop us from doing certain stuff up there and when they finally allocate these Next Generation Academies in early 2016 they ignore all the work we have done there both footy and non footy and allocated zones to 3 teams that have done nothing in NT in Hawthorn, Collingwood and Geelong and 2 teams who have done some stuff there Melbourne and Essendon.

This post in the Next Generation Academy thread shows the zones allocated around Oz or lists what areas that zone covers for all 18 clubs. You have to open up the quote box and click on the maps to expand them.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...neration-academy.1147251/page-3#post-53212786

Last edited:
May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
But the AFL set up Next Generation Academies and has put in zones in early 2016, all over Australia to attract aboriginal kids and multi-cultural kids especially refugees or kids of refugees to give them extra coaching to get them to play football and not soccer.

This was partly driven by what they saw in western Sydney after the GWS was set up, where over 40% of the population of that 2m people in those 14 councils that make up GWS, are born overseas, and when you factor in their kids its over 60% of that population and they tend to play soccer.

You also have aboriginal kids from rural town or bush aboriginal communities struggling to stay on AFL lists as they can't handle all the modern day requirements, of the meetings and strategy stuff, the stuff with corporates etc plus the shock of moving from a 400km west of Alice Spring township of 300 people to 4.5m people city like Melbourne or a bigger city in Sydney.

So now if you have a kid go through these 18 Next Generation Academies the team that a player goes through their academy, they have the first chance to draft them. If another club wants to draft the kid at pick 18, you have to give up the equivalent of pick 18 to get him. If you dont want them then anyone can draft them.

SA government used to run the Northern Territory until the Commonwealth took over in 1911 and they got self government in the late 1970's but are very dependent on the Commonwealth government. SA has always had a close relationship with NT and many people have moved back and forth across the boarder. When the AFL started playing games up in Darwin in the early 2000's Port used to go up as the away team and Melbourne clubs would get paid $500k from the NT government to move a home game to Darwin.

I remember Port going and playing combined sides in Darwin in the late 70's in the SANFL days. We regularly went up their for preseason games and plays from NT would try out with Port. Some made it many didn't.

When we were struggling in 2010 we went to the AFL and the AFLNT and worked out a deal that we would be the away team but we would promote the game and do all this community work and as the Vic team was getting a fixed $500k to play their home game there, so the NT government collected the ticket sales, we would split the ticket sales with the NT government. It was supposed to be worth about $100k a game if it was a sell out. The AFL said we would play there between 2011-13 as the away team and that the AFL wanted us to own NT like Hawthorn owned Tasmania. It was a directive from the AFL and we planned strategies around it.

Then the AFL take away the deal from us, stop us from doing certain stuff up there and when they finally allocate these Next Generation Academies in early 2016 they ignore all the work we have done there both footy and non footy and allocated zones to 3 teams that have done nothing in NT in Hawthorn, Collingwood and Geelong and 2 teams who have done some stuff there Melbourne and Essendon.

This post in the Next Generation Academy thread shows the zones allocated around Oz or lists what areas that zone covers for all 18 clubs. You have to open up the quote box and click on the maps to expand them.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...neration-academy.1147251/page-3#post-53212786

Geez! AFL is control-freak, indeed!

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Ports time in the NT was most appreciated but really was a social program.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

FMD. Every indigenous academy in the AFL is (or should be) primarily dedicated to social responsibility. The payoff is that the work done in education and football related training hopefully translates to some priority drafting as a bonus to clubs.

Port did as much footy related stuff as any AFL club will do up there. In addition it heralded a pathway to the future by guiding kids along a path of "go to school and create for yourself and your community better outcomes".

Sheesh o_O

Boss351

Premiership Player
Mar 1, 2014
Heart of P.A.F.C Territory
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
probably a wowser type thought, but I wonder if concentration levels will dive or mischief incidents occur once the young male and female students are working and boarding in the same vicinity, hormones are a 'Powerful' distraction :holdinghands::handok::handpointleft:

Are Toyota coming on board or is just ex board member Robert Hoey getting onto a good cause? He is the Owner and principal of the NorthPoint Toyota group.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2018-05-09/northpoint-donates-new-bus
THE PORT ADELAIDE Football Club has taken possession of a new mini-bus to be used for its community programs, thanks to the generosity of Northpoint. The 14-seater Toyota Hiace has been adorned with the same design which will feature on Port Adelaide’s 2018 Indigenous Guernsey. The bold design is the work of ruckman Paddy Ryder and his artist uncle, Kevin Bynder, a Whadjuk-Yuet-Badimia Aboriginal.

The bus was donated by Northpoint, which offers retail and fleet car sales, service and parts in seven locations across South Australia. Port Adelaide’s Director of Aboriginal Programs Paul Vandenbergh said the bus had been gratefully accepted. “Northpoint was previously a partner of the Port Adelaide Football Club and it is fantastic to have them back on board,” he said.“With the increasing number of programs and academies run through Power Community Limited, the bus will be an extremely valuable addition. “Our Aboriginal AFL Academy and our new Women’s Aboriginal AFL Academy will benefit in particular and we can’t thank Northpoint enough.”

Northpoint Chief Executive Officer Ben Goldsmith said the business was proud to help once it had realised the impact of Port Adelaide’s community programs. “We’re in Port Augusta and Port Pirie, we’re in Roxby Downs and Moomba and we take very seriously our responsibilities in the local communities, especially when it comes to young people and youth unemployment,” He said. “We are supportive of anything we think can actually benefit building stronger people to have better careers. “The programs that we saw Paul present to us were exceptional and on a national stage.

brus%20bus_620X370.jpg

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Are Toyota coming on board or is just ex board member Robert Hoey getting onto a good cause? He is the Owner and principal of the NorthPoint Toyota group.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2018-05-09/northpoint-donates-new-bus
THE PORT ADELAIDE Football Club has taken possession of a new mini-bus to be used for its community programs, thanks to the generosity of Northpoint. The 14-seater Toyota Hiace has been adorned with the same design which will feature on Port Adelaide’s 2018 Indigenous Guernsey. The bold design is the work of ruckman Paddy Ryder and his artist uncle, Kevin Bynder, a Whadjuk-Yuet-Badimia Aboriginal.

The bus was donated by Northpoint, which offers retail and fleet car sales, service and parts in seven locations across South Australia. Port Adelaide’s Director of Aboriginal Programs Paul Vandenbergh said the bus had been gratefully accepted. “Northpoint was previously a partner of the Port Adelaide Football Club and it is fantastic to have them back on board,” he said.“With the increasing number of programs and academies run through Power Community Limited, the bus will be an extremely valuable addition. “Our Aboriginal AFL Academy and our new Women’s Aboriginal AFL Academy will benefit in particular and we can’t thank Northpoint enough.”

Northpoint Chief Executive Officer Ben Goldsmith said the business was proud to help once it had realised the impact of Port Adelaide’s community programs. “We’re in Port Augusta and Port Pirie, we’re in Roxby Downs and Moomba and we take very seriously our responsibilities in the local communities, especially when it comes to young people and youth unemployment,” He said. “We are supportive of anything we think can actually benefit building stronger people to have better careers. “The programs that we saw Paul present to us were exceptional and on a national stage.

brus%20bus_620X370.jpg
Nice looking bus. Really think this design of Paddy’s is the best I have seen.

Nice looking bus. Really think this design of Paddy’s is the best I have seen.
Its a great design but I don't think it makes a great jumper. Looks fantastic on the van.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Its a great design but I don't think it makes a great jumper. Looks fantastic on the van.

The problem on the guernsey is the teal-white "V". It should be there only as a kind of watermark. In the actual version, it struggles against the included design.

Keith Thomas announced last night that SANTOS have agreed to continue sponsorship of the Power Cup for the next 3 years to the tune of $750,000.

Your move Mr Marshall, Premier and Minister for Aboriginal Affairs.

Back