Preview Preliminary Final: Geelong Cats v Brisbane Lions - 7:50 PM Friday the 16th of September

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Week One - Lions are no chance against the Tigers or at the MCG (with side comments about how Richmond will match up against the Swan who were going to lose to the Demons)

Week Two - Lions are no chance against the Demons not only played at the MCG but they are the Demon's bunnies and played their GF against the Tigers last week (with side comments about the Demons vs Geelong matchup)

Week Three - Lions are no chance against the Cats who won the minor premiership and already beat them this year, at the MCG and played their GF last week against the Demons and the Cats are fresh and ready to pounce (with side comments about the flag being Geelong's to lose and whoever they play in their Grannie will lose and won't it be great to see Danger lift the cup)

Week Four (should be win) - Lions are no chance against the Swans/Pies, no way they can win three on the trot at their bogey ground, played their GF against the Cats, only their because of ARC/injuries/whatever excuse turns up re Cats, (with side comments about how great it would be for the game for Swans/Pies to win and the generics awesomeness of Buddy/Pendlebury etc)

On the other hand we like being the underdog so all good :)

I can see it already. Geelong flat after only one game in a month, Brisbane win. AFL decide the pre finals bye is suddenly unfair for teams in top four and remove it.
Don't forget Neale suspended for "breathing intimidatingly" after blowing Joel Selwood a kiss goodbye from the finals.

I was super pessimistic playing the Tigers in the EF and flat out just resigned to a loss against the Dees.

This poor attitude from me has worked a treat so far and accordingly I am declaring us no hope against the Cats at all.

I will of course tune in next Friday night expecting the worst but hoping for the best. The fact that we will be unloved and despised outsiders will make it a relatively painless exercise

GO LIONS

Last edited:
Week One - Lions are no chance against the Tigers or at the MCG (with side comments about how Richmond will match up against the Swan who were going to lose to the Demons)

Week Two - Lions are no chance against the Demons not only played at the MCG but they are the Demon's bunnies and played their GF against the Tigers last week (with side comments about the Demons vs Geelong matchup)

Week Three - Lions are no chance against the Cats who won the minor premiership and already beat them this year, at the MCG and played their GF last week against the Demons and the Cats are fresh and ready to pounce (with side comments about the flag being Geelong's to lose and whoever they play in their Grannie will lose and won't it be great to see Danger lift the cup)

Week Four (should be win) - Lions are no chance against the Swans/Pies, no way they can win three on the trot at their bogey ground, played their GF against the Cats, only their because of ARC/injuries/whatever excuse turns up re Cats, (with side comments about how great it would be for the game for Swans/Pies to win and the generics awesomeness of Buddy/Pendlebury etc)

On the other hand we like being the underdog so all good :)

I don’t know if you remember the 2019 season that well, but the period after the bye where we were undefeated until Rd23, every week without fail the media narrative was “Yeah geez good showing from the lions with another scalp, but you know X and Y helped. NEXT week is the REAL test”.

Think there ended up being 6 or 7 “Real tests” in the end.

Looking forward to the code popping up for $40 tickets at ground level again! Work your magic guys & girls!

Incorrect. Even if the siren goes on grand final day with the lions ahead, David king will be claiming we can’t win it from here and will show some edited footage of Harris.
While over on another channel Mathew Lloyd will be claiming the Lions didn’t deserve to win because he didn’t tip them.

Looking forward to the code popping up for $40 tickets at ground level again! Work your magic guys & girls!
When do you get these? Planning on buying tickets tomorrow morning with club members allocations, but will it be better to wait?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to be a long work week waiting for this game. Friday cant come soon enough

The big difference will be having Berry (if the appeal goes well) and Rayner available to be those big bodies/inside presence at centre bounces. If we stop them winning centre bounce and we get that early territory battle, their main point of advantage in Hawkins and Lynch will be nullified. Their transition from HB isnt as potent and speedy as other teams so I will bet on our structure being able to defend their counter attacks. Blicavs is huge. He may be too mobile for Big O so O really needs to use his body and grab it out of the ruck or smash it out. If we rely on in tight tap work etc then I am sure Blicavs will out-manouvre Big O and act as a big body midfielder, leaving someone like Guthrie or Dangerfield to burst out on the edge/through the front of stoppage. Their backline is miserly but our forward line is too potent. If we give them enough looks like we did against the Ds then the scoring will come. We just need to get the territory battle right (like we did against the Ds in the second half). Minimise intercept possessions and easy switches/transfers. Back ourselves to win stoppages and use that forward handball before kicking it over the top of the defense ( or that 30m kick to half forward before kicking it deep into the F50). We cant afford those hack kick 50m kicks from the wing that get gobbled up easily at the top of the 50 and slingshotted easily for a J Cameron shot.

I admit I haven’t watched your positional changes closely - has Berry been tagging much of late or was the Oliver role a one off? If he tags again on Friday, who do expect him to go to? Cam Guthrie is our playmaker and I’m surprised teams still put more effort into Danger than him.
Thanks for visiting. Berry over the last few years has not been a full time tagger, he is the kinda 'break the glass' tagger. His first tagging mission was a few year back against Nat Fyfe in Perth and Berry was magnificent, then maybe a year latter it was against Patric Cripps and so on. You wouldn't call Berry a tagger, Dev Robinson who has just came back into our team is more of a tagger in his early days and probably is our first choice. Mathieson has been given 'run with' roles around protecting Neale. Generally the Lions are not a tagging team but this year, late in the season our coaching staff have done a few things away from their habitual selections and team moves. Lyons being dropped started it, so expect the Lions to do something new, the coaching staff have really been doing a 'horses for courses' thing of late.

The big difference will be having Berry (if the appeal goes well) and Rayner available to be those big bodies/inside presence at centre bounces. If we stop them winning centre bounce and we get that early territory battle, their main point of advantage in Hawkins and Lynch will be nullified. Their transition from HB isnt as potent and speedy as other teams so I will bet on our structure being able to defend their counter attacks. Blicavs is huge. He may be too mobile for Big O so O really needs to use his body and grab it out of the ruck or smash it out. If we rely on in tight tap work etc then I am sure Blicavs will out-manouvre Big O and act as a big body midfielder, leaving someone like Guthrie or Dangerfield to burst out on the edge/through the front of stoppage. Their backline is miserly but our forward line is too potent. If we give them enough looks like we did against the Ds then the scoring will come. We just need to get the territory battle right (like we did against the Ds in the second half). Minimise intercept possessions and easy switches/transfers. Back ourselves to win stoppages and use that forward handball before kicking it over the top of the defense ( or that 30m kick to half forward before kicking it deep into the F50). We cant afford those hack kick 50m kicks from the wing that get gobbled up easily at the top of the 50 and slingshotted easily for a J Cameron shot.

I think we need to give our players credit for the Demons inaccuracy. They had several misses due to being pressured when kicking or being forced to take their kick from a poor position. We also rushed it through 3 times. If they don't have that level of pressure on them, they'd have kicked a winning score.

The same will go for Geelong - give them looks at goal with no pressure and the dream of playing a GF is over. Pressure them every step of the way and then they'd need to hope we have a bad day in front of goals.

I can see it already. Geelong flat after only one game in a month, Brisbane win. AFL decide the pre finals bye is suddenly unfair for teams in top four and remove it.

Not only have Geelong only had one game is a month, they came off a virtual training block at the end of the year with Saints - suns - WC (2 of 3 at Gmhba) before that. Shocking lead into a prelim if you ask me.

So much pressure on Geelong in this one. I think they should still get the chocolates but boy we're in it up to our eyeballs now. No pressure and lots of belief for our group right now with 2 massive inclusions likely to make our team even stronger.

We are right in this game being the pressure we brought the other night and I cannot see the cats getting up . Has them shi?$&)) the bed all over it . Aging midfield and players who who haven’t performed when real pressure has come on , there is no MCG hoodoo anymore it’s been wiped away in one stunning performance and exorcised all demons of the past . We can already see Chris’s Scott crying about the week off and how it doesn’t reward the top teams . Lions by 22 points .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back