Opinion Premiership players screaming into microphone

Remove this Banner Ad

I was extremely hammered and remember hearing nek minit and laughed out loud and was celebrating like it was the Cats winning a premiership.. Suck s**t Dawks.

A Geelong thing.A woman named Sarah Birch [I think] who worked at the club at the time came up with the idea as the caps had Toyota logos on them,so you wouldn't want a Ford sponsored team giving a rival company free publicity,so they decided to give them to the kids.

Glad my memory was right. :)

Remember when some team started that s**t, that the players all wore caps after they won the flag??? Was it Eagles in 94???!

God that was cringeworthy.

Much better kids getting caps.

Could be worse.Remember a certain team in the 80's running around with loaves of bread in the cup ?

Good thread, it's been a source of pride and a credit to the group we've had in our Premiership years that we've been humble & dignified in victory.
I always wonder what the little girl who presented the medal to Corey Enright in 2009 said to him, they exchange 'gifts', Boris is about to depart the dais and then he double-takes as she says something - probably just 'well done' or something, but still ..

Could be worse.Remember a certain team in the 80's running around with loaves of bread in the cup ?

No i dont. Might have something to do with the fact i was very young in the 80s, and didnt start following football till the 90s. :D

Why did they have bread in the cup? Tip top sponsorship?

Good thread, it's been a source of pride and a credit to the group we've had in our Premiership years that we've been humble & dignified in victory.
I always wonder what the little girl who presented the medal to Corey Enright in 2009 said to him, they exchange 'gifts', Boris is about to depart the dais and then he double-takes as she says something - probably just 'well done' or something, but still ..
If I remember correctly Boris had spent a fair bit of time with either the girl or her sister as they were battling a sickness of some sort

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched a replay of last years Grand Final on Fox and I noticed that a number of the Sydney players yelled into the mike when they were presented with their premiership medals. I don't remember any of players ever doing it in any of our wins. I'm not real a fan of it as it's not very classy/respectful towards the opposition.

Anyone remember any of our boys ever doing it?

What's your opinion?

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/who-gives-a-s**t-harrison-ford.gif

Just watched a replay of last years Grand Final on Fox and I noticed that a number of the Sydney players yelled into the mike when they were presented with their premiership medals. I don't remember any of players ever doing it in any of our wins. I'm not real a fan of it as it's not very classy/respectful towards the opposition.

Anyone remember any of our boys ever doing it?

What's your opinion?
I was thinking the exact same thing. I like Sydney as a team and I generally like their players and the way they go about things, but I was thinking it wasn't a great look. I don't think they were intending to be disrespectful at all and in reality they were probably within their rights to scream something into the mic as they collected their medals, but I think it it just showed a slight lack of class.

I was always proud of the Geelong boys and the club in general for the way they have conducted themselves amidst so much success. Good cultcha.

"Can my mum get Jimmy's phone number"? (that's just a guess). Anyone else want to guess?

I think it's just lame and rude screaming at the mic when collecting your premiership medals, you don't see any Freo players doing that s**t.
Early front runner for post of the year!! :thumbsu:

One or two is enough, but once a heaps of players do it, it just becomes annoying.

Slightly off topic, i hope the AFL never allows families on the dias. I know the MLS do it and it just cheapens the whole thing. Yes, your families are part of it, but that is what the change rooms is for. I would hate a premiership photo ruined by having 10 infants in there that don't know what's going on.

One or two is enough, but once a heaps of players do it, it just becomes annoying.

Slightly off topic, i hope the AFL never allows families on the dias. I know the MLS do it and it just cheapens the whole thing. Yes, your families are part of it, but that is what the change rooms is for. I would hate a premiership photo ruined by having 10 infants in there that don't know what's going on.

Except, in our case, the sons of the fathers.

Considering that Crawford debuted in 93, was a captain of the club, a 300 game player of the club, and generally a champion of the game, I didn't have a problem with him shouting "that's what I'm talking about", beyond the fact that the Cats had lost of course. He was essentially a spiritual leader of the club so it was a fine statement.

The outbursts of gibberish by the Swans players was just ridiculous last year though. Very bad look. It probably didn't help that I was barracking for the Hawks and thus extremely pissed off, but I think in general it would have been irritating no matter who was doing it.

The problem with these types of rituals is that you let it happen once and it starts to become ingrained and the 'done thing'. The AFL needs to stamp it out this year lest it become a fixture. I'd go as far as to turn that microphone off for that part.

Shouldn't we be preparing our next batch of F/S on what to expect as early as possible?;)

The Hawks are my third favourite team. So I was barracking for them as third beats 16th.

'Oh what? But they are our mortal enemies aren't they? BAAAAAA BAAAAAAAA BAAAAAA!'

Yes every time I mention it on these boards everybody makes the same moronic jokes about it, so forgive me if the jokes that weren't particularly amusing the first time, aren't that great the 10th. This rivalry isn't exactly Boston versus the Yankees, no matter how big a circle jerk you and the more feckless Hawks supporters on BigFooty manage to organise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back