Training Preseason 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Question for the more knowledgeable!

Have we ever had more upside players than we do this preseason?

Ie players who have a genuine chance to improve significantly on 2023… in a way we win more games because of this

Upside players are the ones that move us up the ladder and into finals if our good players keep performing.

Thoughts on the following as genuine Upside players?

Sturt
O’Meara
Darcy (vs 23 injured darcy)
Chapman
Fyfe
Sharp
Taberner (refer Darcy)
Erasmus
O’Driscoll (bring back 22 NOD!)
Frederick
Treacy
Johnson
Walker

Brodie?
Emmett?
Others?
Who to add, who to remove?

Thanks all for keeping the flame alive over summer too - learning a bucketload from most….;) of the posts!

I remember going into 2018 feeling the most excited I have ever felt before a season.

We had a gun full forward in Hogan. We traded in a ruck/fwd (Lobb) - the one position that killed us in ‘13.
Bennell was going to carve teams up. Walters still mid career.
2 Hills on either wing.
2 young mids in Cerra/Brayshaw to compete along with Fyfe.
Proven coach.
Cox and Darcy starting to show something.
Hamling and Pearce both gun defenders.

The list was ready.

What a f****** disaster. I have been so jaded during pre-seasons ever since.

I remember going into 2018 feeling the most excited I have ever felt before a season.

We had a gun full forward in Hogan. We traded in a ruck/fwd (Lobb) - the one position that killed us in ‘13.
2 Hills on either wing.
Proven coach.

The list was ready.

To be fair to you, all those players at their peaks and playing together is a top 4 team. You forgot Mundy too.

To be fair to you, all those players at their peaks and playing together is a top 4 team. You forgot Mundy too.
Yep, had the right idea for a decent side, but it was 'greedy' and the mistake was topping up to reload and go again instead of accepting we needed to rebuild completely in 2016.

I don't know if we can refer to Tabs or Fyfe as "upside" given the extremely low probability that they'll actually be able to come back injury free. They're more of a "bonus".
Compared to 2023, all they need to do is not get injured for 6-8 weeks straight;(

Here is the list of our players coming into their 4th/5th season on the list. These are often the 'break-out' years. I have included Sturt and Emmett because they fit the age profile.
I don't know if we have more people in the break-out years than other clubs but at least it's more than West Coast.
To me it's a very promising line-up.
1Sam Sturt12 May 0023yr189cm74kg18220000Peninsula Grammar/Dandenong U18#17 National 2018
32Michael Frederick17 May 0023yr180cm65kg58630000Portland/Woodville-West Torrens#61 National 2019
3Caleb Serong9 Feb 0123yr179cm88kg801935000Warragul/Geelong Grammar/Gippsland U18#8 National 2019AA: 2023; Rising Star: 2020; AFLCA Young: 2021; AFLPA 1st: 2020
26Hayden Young11 Apr 0123yr188cm83kg57210000Somerville/Mornington SC/Dandenong U18#7 National 2019
14rJeremy Sharp13 Aug 0122yr187cm79kg2371000Aquinas College (WA)/East Fremantle#27 National 2019
9Luke Jackson29 Sep 0122yr199cm94kg755211000Willetton JFC/Bullcreek Leeming JFC/East Fremantle#3 National 2019Rising Star: 2021; AA40: 2023; Prem: 2021
18Tom Emmett30 Nov 0122yr186cm88kg240000Payneham Norwood Union/Sturt#41 National 2022
5Heath Chapman31 Jan 0222yr193cm81kg2610000Joondalup Kinross JFC/Prendiville College/West Perth#14 National 2020
30Nathan O'Driscoll17 May 0221yr187cm78kg22110000Northam Saints JFC/Perth#27 National 2020
35Josh Treacy4 Aug 0221yr193cm95kg36290000Cohuna/Bendigo U18#7 Rookie 2020
31Brandon Walker17 Oct 0221yr183cm75kg4510000Kardinya JFC/East Fremantle#50 National 2020
Thats a pretty good list!

2 Hills on either wing.
Proven coach.

The list was ready.

2019 hurt worse for me.

In the top 8 halfway through the year and dropped out because of pretty much every player over 195cm getting injured.

I think Sturty2Hurty meant 2019.

We didn’t have some of the players mentioned in that post in 2018.

Honestly I think Ross Lyon got sacked because we underperformed with a top eight list in 2019. At least that’s what the people who made the decision thought.

Longmuir got some time to build the list and game plan up again, bearing in mind we lost both wingers at the end of that season putting us back a bit. It also took us another two seasons to get some of the careers Jason Weber nearly destroyed back on track.

I don’t care how many excuses we can make now for Longmuir. He’s had this list for four years and it will be five end of this year:
  • Neesham got four years
  • Harvey got four years
  • Connolly would’ve been sacked in 2006 (his fifth year) had we not made finals. There was talk of that happening until we won nine in row and went from outside the eight mid season to top four at the end of it.
  • Lyon got four years after finals and I daresay his contract we probably the main reason he got as long as he did.
  • It isn’t worth mentioning our other coaches.

**** the excuses - for any valid excuse there’s a reason why it exists and Longmuir could be somewhat responsible for most of them. It’s time to deliver or it’s time to move on.

We didn’t have some of the players mentioned in that post in 2018.

Honestly I think Ross Lyon got sacked because we underperformed with a top eight list in 2019. At least that’s what the people who made the decision thought.

Longmuir got some time to build the list and game plan up again, bearing in mind we lost both wingers at the end of that season putting us back a bit. It also took us another two seasons to get some of the careers Jason Weber nearly destroyed back on track.

I don’t care how many excuses we can make now for Longmuir. He’s had this list for four years and it will be five end of this year:
  • Neesham got four years
  • Harvey got four years
  • Connolly would’ve been sacked in 2006 (his fifth year) had we not made finals. There was talk of that happening until we won nine in row and went from outside the eight mid season to top four at the end of it.
  • Lyon got four years after finals and I daresay his contract we probably the main reason he got as long as he did.
  • It isn’t worth mentioning our other coaches.

**** the excuses - for any valid excuse there’s a reason why it exists and Longmuir could be somewhat responsible for most of them. It’s time to deliver or it’s time to move on.
Nailed it.
No serious organisation would be extending this coaches contract if we have another bottom 6 finish and are out of contention again by early July.

Five years is a LIFETIME in the context of an AFL club list. Over half the list changes in that timeframe.
It’s time for JL to deliver significant progress in 2024 or move aside and let someone else have a crack. It’s a defining year for him.

I'm more confident with bell not there that they'll make the hard call on JLo if he doesn't perform

With bell, I'd expect a 2 year extension as JLo is an ex player and there's sentiment there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nailed it.
No serious organisation would be extending this coaches contract if we have another bottom 6 finish and are out of contention again by early July.

Five years is a LIFETIME in the context of an AFL club list. Over half the list changes in that timeframe.
It’s time for JL to deliver significant progress in 2024 or move aside and let someone else have a crack. It’s a defining year for him.
I get nervous with the rumours that we are after McDonald and using 2
first rounders.
A first and second rounder maybe, but it always feels like we are focused on
the future.
It’s always which player will lift the club. Why is a team of champions our only
avenue?
It’s got to be a combination of talent/hardwork/ingenuity.
This preseason we will see if all 3 have been implemented.

first rounders.
the future.
It’s always which player will lift the club. Why is a team of champions our only
avenue?

I don't want it to cost us the farm but Sydney will play hard ball especially if West Coast put forward an offer.

Out of contract obviously helps.

He is no champion and quick fix though. Logan's 2024 season will help set his value. I think he is worth a top 10 pick and a late 1st if he continues to develop his game at the expected rate.

You would expect Walls would look at this year's draft and see predict if he would be a better player long term than the player or players expected at the draft picks that are required to trade for him.

Logan could be anything and also a long term player for us. Both he and Amiss could be the version of Cameron and Hawkins without the figjam.

It would also depend on the long term view of Tracey and his development this season.

2 firsts is fine if we get a second back

The concern for me is salary

Building a premiership team has players accepting unders from what they could get to go elsewhere

Keep poaching players and paying out big contracts - you'll ask the question too many times for players to accept unders.. and they'll walk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

first rounders.
the future.
avenue?
Would you have traded Hayden young (a year ago) for a first and a second?

Logan - 2020 pick 4, showing great signs at AFL level

(2022) Young - 2019 pick 7, showing great signs at AFL level

There's no way I would've traded Young for that, people who are offering anything less than 2 1sts are absolutely dreaming

There's no way I would've traded Young for that, people who are offering anything less than 2 1sts are absolutely dreaming
So what did we get from Carlton for Cerra?
A pick 5, but out of contract player.
Swings and roundabouts.

Swings and roundabouts.
That deal should've been two first rounders with a second coming back. That's the going rate for a midfielder that has the potential to be in the competition's top 20 mids.

Bell and co have the reputation of being hard at the trade but are actually soft as butter. The Cerra trade is almost a sackable offence imo.

Swings and roundabouts.
We got bent for cerra

I'm not sure if it was due to covid list cuts the year before affecting the market (and covid continuing thru 2021) but it's clear we got absolutely bent over there

Thank * that pick ended up being Amiss

Gotta say, I'm not sure I buy the "players don't want to come to Cockburn" argument. It's a very nice facility, and you can easily live in Freo (wonderful lifestyle) and just pop down there for your day job, taking 20 minutes or less in the car. It's not like players need to live in Cockburn. Heaps of nice spots within 30 minutes.

Completely agree. If we take off the purple tinted glasses for a sec, it would be hard to see how Sydney would value McDonald any differently to what we would expect to get for Amiss. Two firsts would be the minimum to get to done unfortunately

first rounders.
the future.
avenue?
What trade value would you have on Amiss?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back