Training Preseason 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Is fyfe playing full mid for you guys? Interested for supercoach
I’d be trading him out after any price hike though. Even if by some miracle he stays on the park for most of the year, he’s going to be massaged through the season and he’ll be a prime “sub-off” player IMO

Man, I'd sell my soul for Fyfe to turn it back one more year and win a Norm (or even just a Freo BnF tbh).

You see people discussing best players of the generation / or even just teens and man has the general footy fan just forgotten what prime Fyfe could do. Prime Fyfe was every bit as good/impactful as prime Gablett / Franklin / Judd IMO. It was just a much shorter prime (particularly compared to those first two) by way of how he played

Last edited:
Hey all, thanks for your great efforts in bringing the news to those of us who aren't able to get down to training. It was always my favourite time of year, especially in the old days at Freo Oval.

I know it's easy to get carried away when we're only seeing our own, but I have a sneaky feeling we're going to surprise a few this year.

Again, thanks for all the discussion, it's the only news on Freo we see these days.

If Fyfe and Tabs were back to their best without being injured we would all be very happy supporters this year but......!!!

Man, I'd sell my soul for Fyfe to turn it back one more year and win a Norm (or even just a Freo BnF tbh).
I genuinely think that if he manages another doig level year that the chance for him to get a norm would well and truly be on

Sounds like Fyfe is regaining his love for the game. If that mark is anything to go by, he’s got his spring back and is trusting his body as well, the fact it was a one handed take shows his touch is coming back as well. I’m getting very excited by the prospect of a fit Fyfe without the burden of having the team on his shoulders wind back the clock for a season or two.

Please don't get carried away.

Our hand balling and kicking was awful today. Some players such as Brodie and Davis can't kick to save themselves.

Draper is easily infront of Davis for a half back position in the near future. He's quicker and a much better kick.

Serong was great today but bombs them in to the forward fifty from the stoppage.

Fyfe is looking great again.

Unfortunately so many still errors that halt the flow. Having said that it doesn't help that some of our better players are stilling the rehab group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cmon Fyfe is cooked. It’s a bonus if he’s available but shouldn’t be relied on to be a permanent fixture.

Should be sub when available.
He’s entitled to fight for a place like everyone else without being labelled a sub before a ball has been kicked.
The vast majority of our players can’t hold a candle to fyfey even at 80% of his peak anyway. If Fyfe is fit I want him out there as much as we can possibly get away with coz we will be a better team with him in it.

Please don't get carried away.

Our hand balling and kicking was awful today. Some players such as Brodie and Davis can't kick to save themselves.

Draper is easily infront of Davis for a half back position in the near future. He's quicker and a much better kick.

Serong was great today but bombs them in to the forward fifty from the stoppage.

Fyfe is looking great again.

Unfortunately so many still errors that halt the flow. Having said that it doesn't help that some of our better players are stilling the rehab group.
I appreciate you dialling it back this year but I really didnt like the semi potshots you and others were given as the season last year unfolded following your training reports.

Really, everyone needs to understand there is basically no way anyone can understand anything about the season as a whole from watching pre-season training. Individual players (like Fyfe actually getting through a preseason unscathed and looking good), sure, but there's too much impacting the team as a whole to get an idea of where we'll finish on the ladder

It is bloody hard to make out people when you are sitting in your car so this is going to be a bit limited in detail.

Rehab group that I could make out consisted of Banfield punching out lap after lap at good pace. Walker was the same, boy does he move well. Darcy was doing a fair bit and did not seemed hindered by anything other than fitness, that is to be expected I suppose. I am thinking it was MacKenzie but unsure, there was an older player running with them as well that had no number on his back. Whom ever it was could not get near Walker, if it is MacKenzie it is concerning that he is training in the rehab group. Apologies for no name but the young South Aussie small forward training with us was busting his arse in the running drills to stay near the front with Serong and Brayshaw, appears to clearly want the oppurtunity.

It may be just me but the Match Sim seemed to really lack much desperation. Driz appeared to get a bit of it and seemed to use it well on most occassions, I think he laid a great run down tackle as well. Again it was hard to see. I love the idea of a left foot and Right foot wingman combo, bit like a left/right opening combo in cricket. Here is to hoping he can return to 22 form. I like the look of Knobel seems the tallest on our list by a mile, would not be surprised if he has grown, he is starting to fill out as well, should dominate for Peel this year. As far as I am concerned performed way better than Reidy.

Serong was just dominant cannot say much more than that. Brodie seemed to get it a bit but turned it over a lot or it was just an up and under kick, if he can't sort that out by now he is going to struggle to get games, unless there is injury. From memory his great 22 season was dominated by extracting the pill and handballs, clearly for a reason. I like the look of Draper, he was matched up on Amiss. I reckon he will be a player when he finishes filling out.

No Brennan Cox that I noticed. Fyfes mark was just a reminder of the player he once was. He seems in a good place. I personally dont think he will dominate and he needs to be managed all season, but if we can have him fit for finals you just never know. He looks comfortable in the midfield. Johno is just getting better. Raz did a bit but still some question marks on him for mine. Dogga seemed a bit off it for mine, nothing to worry about here though we know what he can do.

Karl Warner looked classy when he got it.Side note Mzungu played the game and still looks like he could get a game, bloody fit for his age.

About it from me, I either need to sit up on the small grass hill next time or up on the balcony to get a better view.

Go Freo

It is bloody hard to make out people when you are sitting in your car so this is going to be a bit limited in detail.

Rehab group that I could make out consisted of Banfield punching out lap after lap at good pace. Walker was the same, boy does he move well. Darcy was doing a fair bit and did not seemed hindered by anything other than fitness, that is to be expected I suppose. I am thinking it was MacKenzie but unsure, there was an older player running with them as well that had no number on his back. Whom ever it was could not get near Walker, if it is MacKenzie it is concerning that he is training in the rehab group. Apologies for no name but the young South Aussie small forward training with us was busting his arse in the running drills to stay near the front with Serong and Brayshaw, appears to clearly want the oppurtunity.

It may be just me but the Match Sim seemed to really lack much desperation. Driz appeared to get a bit of it and seemed to use it well on most occassions, I think he laid a great run down tackle as well. Again it was hard to see. I love the idea of a left foot and Right foot wingman combo, bit like a left/right opening combo in cricket. Here is to hoping he can return to 22 form. I like the look of Knobel seems the tallest on our list by a mile, would not be surprised if he has grown, he is starting to fill out as well, should dominate for Peel this year. As far as I am concerned performed way better than Reidy.

Serong was just dominant cannot say much more than that. Brodie seemed to get it a bit but turned it over a lot or it was just an up and under kick, if he can't sort that out by now he is going to struggle to get games, unless there is injury. From memory his great 22 season was dominated by extracting the pill and handballs, clearly for a reason. I like the look of Draper, he was matched up on Amiss. I reckon he will be a player when he finishes filling out.

No Brennan Cox that I noticed. Fyfes mark was just a reminder of the player he once was. He seems in a good place. I personally dont think he will dominate and he needs to be managed all season, but if we can have him fit for finals you just never know. He looks comfortable in the midfield. Johno is just getting better. Raz did a bit but still some question marks on him for mine. Dogga seemed a bit off it for mine, nothing to worry about here though we know what he can do.

Karl Warner looked classy when he got it.Side note Mzungu played the game and still looks like he could get a game, bloody fit for his age.

About it from me, I either need to sit up on the small grass hill next time or up on the balcony to get a better view.

Go Freo
I'm pretty confident Knobel is an AFL ruck which is going to hurt when he inevitably gets traded for peanuts next contract. I think Reidy was always a stopgap and doesnt have the required attributes to be a best 22 AFL player though I think he'll inevitably get a chance at another club.

Smith for Peel isnt going to get much of a look-in this year IMO and Knobel will take the number one ruck spot with Reidy playing fwd/ruck

Go Freo
Great write up, thanks.
The McKenzie thing does seem strange, how long is he training with us before he heads over to GC? He’d want to get out of rehab and into sims pretty quickly if he’s going to make an impression, Voss and Beattie (the SA kid) seem to be making a Strong case for the SSP spot.

When the avatar moniker was being bandied about, he was the number 1 airman in the comp.
Only KPF's could assume to outmark him, but he was a mid, so there was that!
Avatar was an accurate assessment of his aerial game. His kicking has always been his achilles heal

It would be so Dockery if we turned Jye into a KPD.
Edit* My bad it was James Aish not Jye Amiss lol
I read the first line, began melting and looking up Gold Coast memberships when I first saw your post. Probably should have read both lines I suppose...

I'm not sure I could take us turning Jye into a KPD.

I'm glad the Fyfe forward experiment is over. His presence and size in the middle (+ height and size of Young and Johnson) will make life easier for Brayshaw and Serong.

I can absolutely see (in a game with no injuries) where Fyfe is regularly subbed off close to 3 quarter time.

The preseason where hope springs eternal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back