Training Preseason 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Some random thoughts from watching the intra (Thanks vidwhal )

• Voss would've had like 8 shots, reckon he is just about locked for the spot now
  • I'm a little bit worried that Serong looks so good because the rest of our midfield (barring Brayshaw) is so slow lol, Brodie of all people burnt Erasmus off quite easily a couple of times
  • Worner was pretty damn good, didn't miss many targets
  • Sturt had a purple patch in the third but missed a goal he should've kicked, those 2 passes for shots on goal were elite though, bullets into the 50, looked like he sat off the 4th for running
  • Delean had a better day than previous weeks, out of all the players out there he looks the most "boy amongst men" (maybe SVR too but he is tall so gets away with it a bit more)
  • Looked like Fyfe did a half then JOM did a half, or something like that, JOM hasn't had much gametime this preseason
  • Little bit worried at Darcy's shortened preseason too, still got a month though so hopefully gains some more match fitness

Some random thoughts from watching the intra (Thanks vidwhal )

• Voss would've had like 8 shots, reckon he is just about locked for the spot now
  • I'm a little bit worried that Serong looks so good because the rest of our midfield (barring Brayshaw) is so slow lol, Brodie of all people burnt Erasmus off quite easily a couple of times
  • Worner was pretty damn good, didn't miss many targets
  • Sturt had a purple patch in the third but missed a goal he should've kicked, those 2 passes for shots on goal were elite though, bullets into the 50, looked like he sat off the 4th for running
  • Delean had a better day than previous weeks, out of all the players out there he looks the most "boy amongst men" (maybe SVR too but he is tall so gets away with it a bit more)
  • Looked like Fyfe did a half then JOM did a half, or something like that, JOM hasn't had much gametime this preseason
  • Little bit worried at Darcy's shortened preseason too, still got a month though so hopefully gains some more match fitness
To piggyback off this:
  • Draper was absolutely pantsed by Voss and Davies while having some good moments had a few rough ones that cost a couple goals directly as well. OMac will be first in if Cox doesnt get up me thinks.
  • Johnson was awesome whenever onball, I hope he gets enough time in there compared to the thing. He's incredible in traffic with ball in hand
  • Fyfe just keeps building and it's getting exciting.
  • Stanley's goal in the first was everything I love about him but there was too much walking for an AFL player. Needs to get that tank up.
  • I shudder to think of what the score would have been without Ryan and Clark...
  • Who is number 38?

To piggyback off this:
  • Draper was absolutely pantsed by Voss and Davies while having some good moments had a few rough ones that cost a couple goals directly as well. OMac will be first in if Cox doesnt get up me thinks.
  • Johnson was awesome whenever onball, I hope he gets enough time in there compared to the thing. He's incredible in traffic with ball in hand
  • Stanley's goal in the first was everything I love about him but there was too much walking for an AFL player. Needs to get that tank up.
  • I shudder to think of what the score would have been without Ryan and Clark...
  • Who is number 38?
Agree with the Stanley thing, mentioned something similar last week (probably needing a year in the WAFL)

38 is SVR, has worn it all preseason, only one of the train ons to get a number (I've got dibs on this guernsey in the locker sale, it'll be a unique one)

To piggyback off this:
  • Who is number 38?
All this hype about Voss is surprising if you read the Essendon board:

Essentially, he has clear limitations that prevented a debut from ever happening. He has had a great preseason by all accounts. It is a free hit but we are already close to max players signed.

I wonder what the club thinks with these videos being released

This plus others sowing far more game time

Freo release just what they want non members to see to help sell more memberships, however, is this going too far. Unintentionally from the fans.
The thought has crossed my mind. We know the club reads Big Footy so they will reach out if they don't think it's appropriate. We could see the video to private on YouTube and just share the passcode through DM.

The thought has crossed my mind. We know the club reads Big Footy so they will reach out if they don't think it's appropriate. We could see the video to private on YouTube and just share the passcode through DM.

If the club reached out about a youtube vid we better get all sorts of concessions to even consider taking it down.

Do we think they are here even semi regularly?

All this hype about Voss is surprising if you read the Essendon board:

Essentially, he has clear limitations that prevented a debut from ever happening. He has had a great preseason by all accounts. It is a free hit but we are already close to max players signed.
It's a pretty straight swap for Corbett though, arguably better (Don't really rate Corbs)

Would only play if Taberner and another forward or Darcy is injured, like Corbett did

Voss did win their VFL B&F, will be a handy 2nd backup tall

Freo release just what they want non members to see to help sell more memberships, however, is this going too far. Unintentionally from the fans.
Clubs not gonna get mad at a vlog, you'll find one for every team if you look hard enough (plus we upload highlights anyway)

The full match recording could receive a takedown request though, you can see why they wouldn't want that out there but jeez its good for the fans who can't get there

Arguably the full training videos from last week might be worse, as we could have been training something we didn't want out there (I didn't watch many of these tho, so i dunno)

If we really wanted to keep things secret then you'd think we could arrange more Optus time, or try lock people out at Freo oval or something

Big Brodie fan, reckon we look better with him at the coal-face and he was sorely missed in 2023....
I’m still a big fan of Brodie. When he’s up and about his inside work is truly elite. I know he’s a few back in the pecking order, but I hope he gets a crack.

I would say 100+ goals but I guess I’d be happy with 55+… 😆

FREMANTLE

JYE AMISS CAN BE A 55+ GOAL KICKER IN 2024

There are two players who remind me of seasoned veterans. Ollie Hemry is one of them (Jack Gunston) and Jye Amiss is the other of them. He reminds me of Jack Riewoldt in the way he times his leads, picks the perfect place to lead to, and finds a way to win the footy despite being seemingly out of position.

It always amazed me how Riewoldt would win a contest. He would look all at sea in a contest and then the whistle would blow and there, right in Riewoldt’s hands, would be the Sherrin. He would somehow make it his own.

Amiss is like this, as well. He has that uncanny knack of winning the footy in a markimg contest, and like Riewoldt, its his second or third lead that kills teams, as he uses false starts to get separation from his opponent before making his genuine run at the footy. You cannot teach that. Players either have it, or they dont.

Amiss has it, and his conversion once he gets the footy is excellent. In a Freo team that struggled, he was a shining light last season. I expect more from the Dockers in 2024, and if they’re playing well and giving more opportunity to forwards, a smart player like Amiss will eat those opportunities up.

Kiss of death – yes, but he could one day be counted amongst Freo’s greatest ever goal kickers.

HB… going early.

HB's Kisses of Death. Part One of Three - The Mongrel Punt

I would say 100+ goals but I guess I’d be happy with 55+… 😆

FREMANTLE

JYE AMISS CAN BE A 55+ GOAL KICKER IN 2024

There are two players who remind me of seasoned veterans. Ollie Hemry is one of them (Jack Gunston) and Jye Amiss is the other of them. He reminds me of Jack Riewoldt in the way he times his leads, picks the perfect place to lead to, and finds a way to win the footy despite being seemingly out of position.

It always amazed me how Riewoldt would win a contest. He would look all at sea in a contest and then the whistle would blow and there, right in Riewoldt’s hands, would be the Sherrin. He would somehow make it his own.

Amiss is like this, as well. He has that uncanny knack of winning the footy in a markimg contest, and like Riewoldt, its his second or third lead that kills teams, as he uses false starts to get separation from his opponent before making his genuine run at the footy. You cannot teach that. Players either have it, or they dont.

Amiss has it, and his conversion once he gets the footy is excellent. In a Freo team that struggled, he was a shining light last season. I expect more from the Dockers in 2024, and if they’re playing well and giving more opportunity to forwards, a smart player like Amiss will eat those opportunities up.

Kiss of death – yes, but he could one day be counted amongst Freo’s greatest ever goal kickers.

HB… going early.

HB's Kisses of Death. Part One of Three - The Mongrel Punt
He's late to the podium party but I agree.

Doesn't have Jack's leap I don't think but I reckon he's quicker.

They may not like it but it is training occurring at an open public venue at a publicly accessible oval, which is publicly funded.
Even if they tried, I don't think they have a leg to stand on.

In saying that, I'll let you know how it goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amiss to me is the most talented player on the list.
However If he kicks 55+ goals this season I’ll be astounded. He is only 20 years old. That would guarantee a maiden AA jacket and this century would be a level of performance only comparable to Buddy Franklin at the same age. As good as he is, he’s not that good, not yet anyway.

To be honest if he kicks 40 goals again this year it will be a very very impressive achievement and we will be safe in the knowledge he’s a proven gun.
Remember just two players have kicked 40 goals in a season since 2015 for Fremantle. It’s a very difficult thing to do in the modern AFL era.

They may not like it but it is training occurring at an open public venue at a publicly accessible oval, which is publicly funded.

I'm not having a go at you. It's just a thought

Amiss to me is the most talented player on the list.
However If he kicks 55+ goals this season I’ll be astounded. He is only 20 years old. That would guarantee a maiden AA jacket and this century would be a level of performance only comparable to Buddy Franklin at the same age. As good as he is, he’s not that good, not yet anyway.

Agreed. Oscar Allen kicked 53 in a team where the defenders against him were going at 50% and he’s 24. The worst is acting like he is the next Coleman.

Anything above 40 at his age is incredible. If he was playing for a Victorian team he’d be the next messiah.

Is there a way that Brodie or Fyfe start and the other is the sub. Play half a game each.

Doesn't expose Brodies fitness and is a way of managing Fyfe through the season.

I don't think they both can play with current midfield as we'll be too slow.

Would be nice except the club seems to use the sub has the “last guy picked” and not tactically. Ie brain dead s**t like Corbett as a sub for the last 20 minutes.

It's a pretty straight swap for Corbett though, arguably better (Don't really rate Corbs)

Would only play if Taberner and another forward or Darcy is injured, like Corbett did

Voss did win their VFL B&F, will be a handy 2nd backup tall
I can see in this a comment by Tbonefreo in 2021 just after he was drafted that freo were talking him. So we had some interest before

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well remember when Peter Bell knocked on a poster's windows because he thought they were from the an opposition team? That was at a match sim last year. It's businesses as usual until they say something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back