Training Preseason 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I also don't think Collingwoods game plan is sustainable in that the opposition clubs aren't just going to continue to let them play the way they play. Maybe one of the better analysts on the board can either correct me or express it better but to me their game plan seems to rely on turnover from turnovers (plus a healthily dose of Hawks threepeat style: players being encouraged to cheat ahead of the contest when they think their teammate is likely to win one).

I.E. They look to get the ball back directly from opposition turn overs in midfield or even their own attack rather than rolling back when they lose the ball. High risk high reward. Surely it's only a very short matter of time till the opposition coaches figure out an effective counter.

People probably won't like this but I suspect the simplest answer is, get this, get on top of the contest. More field position for you would make their pressure less effective and in turn reduce their ability to score from high turn overs.

I know Brisbane won the clearances +6 on paper in the GF but I thought Collingwood's midfield was on top generally and if they had made their terrority count we wouldn't be talking about a late bad advantage call.

Last edited:
I also don't think Collingwoods game plan is sustainable in that the opposition club aren't just going to continue to let them play they way they play. Maybe one of better analysts on the board can either correct me or express it better but to me their game plan seems to rely on turnover from turnovers (plus a healthily dose of Hawks threepeat style: players being encouraged to cheat ahead of the contest when they think their teammate is likely to win one).

I.E. They look to get the ball back directly from opposition turn overs in midfield or even their own attack rather than rolling back when they lose the ball. High risk high reward. Surely it's only a very short matter of time till the opposition coaches figure out an effective counter.

People probably won't like this but I suspect the simplest answer is, get this, get on top of the contest. More field position for you would make their pressure less effective and in turn reduce their ability to score from high turn overs.

I know Brisbane won the clearances +6 on paper in the GF but I thought Collingwood's midfield was on top generally and if they had made their terrority count we wouldn't be talking about a late bad advantage call.
If spuddy McSpudface could mark a ball, they would have been 4 goals up.

Vidwhal owns the copyright in the videos he films. They could try to ban him filming at that location but would need a legal basis for it, or they could simply ask: 'as a Freo Dockers supporter, could you please not provide our competitors with complete videos of training sessions where we go through key ball movement strategies for the coming season starting in only a few weeks as it potentially allows them to counter those strategies when planning for their games against us. Pretty please.'
I'm like their white hat hacker. Helping them expose their game plan flaws so they're forced to fix the holes. ;)

Vidwhal owns the copyright in the videos he films. They could try to ban him filming at that location but would need a legal basis for it, or they could simply ask: 'as a Freo Dockers supporter, could you please not provide our competitors with complete videos of training sessions where we go through key ball movement strategies for the coming season starting in only a few weeks as it potentially allows them to counter those strategies when planning for their games against us. Pretty please.'
They (AFL) claim rights to the images (ie AFL players as players). You can't go into a cinema, video the movie and claim copyright because you took the video.

They (AFL) claim rights to the images (ie AFL players as players). You can't go into a cinema, video the movie and claim copyright because you took the video.
that's because there is copyright already in the movie. You can claim copyright in your own video but you will also be infringing the copyright in the movie which is owned by the production company or whomever they have assigned the rights to (and they can sue you for that infringement depending on the laws of the country in which the infringer resides).

I don't think that's the same thing. Film is the copyrighted item itself so filming that is a violation but the players themselves are their own sovereign individuals that the AFL can't claim ownership of. The photos taken by the AFL or club would certainly be claimable tho.

If the club reached out about a youtube vid we better get all sorts of concessions to even consider taking it down.

Do we think they are here even semi regularly?
The concession will be - 'you can still attend training'

I also don't think Collingwoods game plan is sustainable in that the opposition clubs aren't just going to continue to let them play the way they play. Maybe one of better analysts on the board can either correct me or express it better but to me their game plan seems to rely on turnover from turnovers (plus a healthily dose of Hawks threepeat style: players being encouraged to cheat ahead of the contest when they think their teammate is likely to win one).

This sounds right.

I ain't no analyst but I distinctly remember seeing footage last year of Pies players "cheating" like you say. They are very aggressive around contested situations which is how they counterattack so well.

I suspect if their pressure dropped off against a strong contest between the arcs team, they'd get smacked because half their players are out of position and there wouldn't be enough pressure to cause the turnover. I suspect you couldn't effectively play that style with a younger team because they wouldn't have the body strength to consistently win those contests against bigger bodies.

I don't enjoy JL style compared to some others, but I do think it makes sense for a team as young as ours to attempt to counter the current dominant style rather than mimic it. No idea if that is what he's going for.

Depends on if you support purple or white.
Purple was slow sidewise chips around D50 then long bomb to congested wing (ie like last year).
White seemed much more willing to take the game on playing on faster and utilising the corridor more.

Another year of losing at home and winning away then?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think if a team's gameplan can be pulled apart in preseason or early season from vision, it can happen during the season from all the broadcasts. Better to know what doesn't work against opposition earlier rather than later and if it can be pulled apart quick enough, then it might not be the robust gameplan it's made out to be. I always believed the most successful plans are the ones that are obvious enough but still can't be countered.

Yeah but it isn't a great view. You also get moved on if you linger up there.

You can also sit to the side in the free parking. The point is, the club can't force someone to not watch. They can make it more difficult, but you can still watch from different locations.

I don't think that's the same thing. Film is the copyrighted item itself so filming that is a violation but the players themselves are their own sovereign individuals that the AFL can't claim ownership of. The photos taken by the AFL or club would certainly be claimable tho.
It's comes under trying to generate profit from AFL images (including those of players) without permission. Players can't just go and get whatever sponsorships they want (especially ones that conflict with AFL ones) or appear in any shows etc. As with anything legal like that it's challengeable, but you'll need some cash to do it.

I like to think all 17 oppo clubs sent an analyst to the game anyway because they're furiously trying to figure out how to defend 20m sideways chips.
Now I’ve realised who we need to commentate vidwhal film.

IMG_0661.jpeg

Last edited:
Now I’ve realised who we need to commentate vidwhal film.

View attachment 1904030
I always found that sketch a touch off, amusing as it is, since in their version of football even less happens. I turned on the super bowl on Kayo for a few minutes today and it was 4 minutes of ads in play then the players literally just standing around while something arcane happened to total silence from the crowd. Silence in a final! It was, forgive me Roy and HG, surreal.

Last edited:
I always found that sketch a touch off, amusing as it is, since in their version of football even less happens. I turned on the super bowl on Kayo for a few minutes today and it was 4 minutes of ads in play then the players literally just standing around while something arcane happened to total silence from the crowd. Silence in a final! It was, forgive me Roy and HG, surreral.
I’ve been to a live game, and there are heaps of TV ad breaks and bits where it’s just watching fat blokes waddle on and off the field (being heavy is part of being able to play the power positions, and they eat piles of bacon at training camp!).

They manage to cram about 7 minutes of actually playing time into 4.5 hours of actual time. Can’t imagine watching it live and sober 😂

I always found that sketch a touch off, amusing as it is, since in their version of football even less happens. I turned on the super bowl on Kayo for a few minutes today and it was 4 minutes of ads in play then the players literally just standing around while something arcane happened to total silence from the crowd. Silence in a final! It was, forgive me Roy and HG, surreral.
Agreed. Can’t understand why they call a sport where the ball seldom touches their feet “football”. Also I’d love to see some of these helmet wearing, full body padding pussies play Aussie rules or god forbid, Union. To quote a young person I know, they’d like literally die. Legit.

Agreed. Can’t understand why they call a sport where the ball seldom touches their feet “football”. Also I’d love to see some of these helmet wearing, full body padding pussies play Aussie rules or god forbid, Union. To quote a young person I know, they’d like literally die. Legit.
Serious? Did you watch Kelce and McCaffrey play today?

I agree with this in part. There are other parts that are ridiculous. They beef up to play the position and some of them are still ridiculously quick.

People who doubt this need to watch tape of 2003-2017 Lebron and think he was a touch smaller than sandi, faster and more agile than any player in the AFL and would match almost any for strength. I am all for national pride etc, but we get a little ridiculous with these analogies at times.

They are different games with different requirements. Put a union guy or AFL player into their game and they would struggle mightily.

Having said all that, there are a lot of breaks. I watch it slightly delayed (hourish) so I can skip forward with the 15 second button.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back