Preventing damaging losses over development.

Remove this Banner Ad

1980GFVideo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2004
Heidelberg
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Does anyone see two different agendas that Richmond need to be aware of.

1. Development of players and finding out who can play.

2. Avoiding an embarrassing loss by a decent margin. I think we can prevent it but on a bad day, all the teams we play with the exception of Adelaide can give us a 10 goal hiding.

I worry with our teams confidence that we may be set up for one if we are not picking the best team and putting aside the next month to find out about players who decisions need to be made on. We want the club to use the remaning season for the benefit of 2012 but bad losses still do affect supporters and attendances and membership.

I felt Richmond supporters are so numb that todays loss has hardly caused major angst but the big blowout against lesser clubs is the last thing we need. Even those pushing development dont want to see that happen.

Tuck needs to stay in. Is the type of bloke who can keep fighting and help this from happening. Two or three positions a week will need to be used to find out about players.

Does anyone see two different agendas that Richmond need to be aware of.

1. Development of players and finding out who can play.

2. Avoiding an embarrassing loss by a decent margin. I think we can prevent it but on a bad day, all the teams we play with the exception of Adelaide can give us a 10 goal hiding.

I worry with our teams confidence that we may be set up for one if we are not picking the best team and putting aside the next month to find out about players who decisions need to be made on. We want the club to use the remaning season for the benefit of 2012 but bad losses still do affect supporters and attendances and membership.

I felt Richmond supporters are so numb that todays loss has hardly caused major angst but the big blowout against lesser clubs is the last thing we need. Even those pushing development dont want to see that happen.

Tuck needs to stay in. Is the type of bloke who can keep fighting and help this from happening. Two or three positions a week will need to be used to find out about players.

Developing the players is an ongoing process. I think we have suffered with a few injuries to players that should be finding their role in the team (Connors, Astbury, Grimes) and missing out on Kel Moore has been a huge problem for us. Makes it hard to rotate and rest the younger players. Conca has been great across half back, but he was looking tired before he was rested. I think the selectors know who can play, but have been hindered by injuries and the need to pick "out of form players".

Avoiding the embarrassing loss - This goes back to picking the best team available to win the game. Prior to the Geelong game, the selectors were not doing this. Not picking a recognized ruckman, picking Griffiths when he had played 6 quarters at Coburg and not playing Morton (when available) and Tuck (BOG 4 weeks in a row at Coburg). Also, picking "out of form" players like Jackson, Edwards and Grigg every week is not helping.

There has to be a balance. The "winning culture" starts by picking a team to win the game - not "favorites" week in week out. Tuck and Morton are clearly out of favor, and strangely enough - we pick them and become more competitive. The younger players on the list need to see the mature bodies around them. I think the team should be picked on form. It will be interesting to see what happens at the selection table next round.

Developing the players is an ongoing process. I think we have suffered with a few injuries to players that should be finding their role in the team (Connors, Astbury, Grimes) and missing out on Kel Moore has been a huge problem for us. Makes it hard to rotate and rest the younger players. Conca has been great across half back, but he was looking tired before he was rested. I think the selectors know who can play, but have been hindered by injuries and the need to pick "out of form players".

Avoiding the embarrassing loss - This goes back to picking the best team available to win the game. Prior to the Geelong game, the selectors were not doing this. Not picking a recognized ruckman, picking Griffiths when he had played 6 quarters at Coburg and not playing Morton (when available) and Tuck (BOG 4 weeks in a row at Coburg). Also, picking "out of form" players like Jackson, Edwards and Grigg every week is not helping.

There has to be a balance. The "winning culture" starts by picking a team to win the game - not "favorites" week in week out. Tuck and Morton are clearly out of favor, and strangely enough - we pick them and become more competitive. The younger players on the list need to see the mature bodies around them. I think the team should be picked on form. It will be interesting to see what happens at the selection table next round.

Thats Blasphemy around here to some, Great Post said succampaignerely and concisely.

I am having trouble trying to work out your angle dude...So they didnt pick the side to win prior to the Geelong game, then they did for the Geelong game?

We picked Tuck and Morton and became more competitive?
Where do you get this s**t from dude? The result of the game was no different to any other year. The only difference was that we didnt play them at Skilled which would have added another 5 or so goals to the margin..;)

I dont buy the whole 'developement in seniors only' theory.
I like Collingwoods view of throwing the birth certificate away and if theyre in the top 22 they play. Saw an interview a few weeks ago and they said its been that way since malthouse has been there.
Playing kids not yet ready can do more harm than good to the whole club system imo, not sure why they cant be developed and judged in the 2's.

I am having trouble trying to work out your angle dude...So they didnt pick the side to win prior to the Geelong game, then they did for the Geelong game?

We picked Tuck and Morton and became more competitive?
Where do you get this s**t from dude? The result of the game was no different to any other year. The only difference was that we didnt play them at Skilled which would have added another 5 or so goals to the margin..;)

Where do I "get this s**t from" ? Where have you been for the past 5 weeks ?

We had Hislop running running impersonating a footballer while Tuck was gathering another 37 lazy posessions at Coburg. We had Helbig playing out of his depth, we picked NO recognised ruckmen against Essendon, we had Grigg following Judd around while the coaching panel looked far an excuse to keep picking him.

We lost a half of football with the potential Grand finalist by one point. sure they pulled their foot off the gas, but we were more competetive in those two quarters that the previous 5 games put together.

We picked Tuck, Morton and Graham and became more competitive in the second half against Geelong. Coincidence ?

We lost Newman and Bachelor - we could have even been more competitive.

Where do I "get this s**t from" ? Where have you been for the past 5 weeks ?

We had Hislop running running impersonating a footballer while Tuck was gathering another 37 lazy posessions at Coburg. We had Helbig playing out of his depth, we picked NO recognised ruckmen against Essendon, we had Grigg following Judd around while the coaching panel looked far an excuse to keep picking him.

We lost a half of football with the potential Grand finalist by one point. sure they pulled their foot off the gas, but we were more competetive in those two quarters that the previous 5 games put together.

We picked Tuck, Morton and Graham and became more competitive in the second half against Geelong. Coincidence ?

We lost Newman and Bachelor - we could have even been more competitive.

gotta say, 62 pts loss was a better result than I was expecting after the previous few weeks which have largely been embarassing.

Nice to be getting games into kids, but I wonder if it isnt DEVELOPING their keen wishes to play for SOMEONE ELSE.

gotta say, 62 pts loss was a better result than I was expecting after the previous few weeks which have largely been embarassing.

Nice to be getting games into kids, but I wonder if it isnt DEVELOPING their keen wishes to play for SOMEONE ELSE.

Hahahahah...nice one... :):thumbsu: ...

Yeah and only some of us will even contemplate that it is a possibility......

but we are developing:rolleyes:

Thats Blasphemy around here to some, Great Post said succampaignerely and concisely.

I've never come across that word before NQT, but I'm strangely attracted to it. :D

I've argued for a long time that a club in our position MUST remain competitive, at least to the point where people can see progress and can go to a game with the hope of seeing something which pleases them if they do sit through a loss.

Exactly these things happened in 2004; there was no progress, no glimmer of hope for a win, no pleasure beyond the occasional Richo highlight (which we no longer have as a draw card!) - it killed us, our poor attendances became a massive financial issue, we can't ever afford to go back there again.

It'd be nice to having a coaching staff, football department and board which recognised these things in advance, rather than having to find them out the hard way.

I've never come across that word before NQT, but I'm strangely attracted to it. :D

I've argued for a long time that a club in our position MUST remain competitive, at least to the point where people can see progress and can go to a game with the hope of seeing something which pleases them if they do sit through a loss.

Exactly these things happened in 2004; there was no progress, no glimmer of hope for a win, no pleasure beyond the occasional Richo highlight (which we no longer have as a draw card!) - it killed us, our poor attendances became a massive financial issue, we can't ever afford to go back there again.

It'd be nice to having a coaching staff, football department and board which recognised these things in advance, rather than having to find them out the hard way.

I will try this succintcly........

Note to mods Big footy needs spell check:)

Today was the type of damaging loss that I was referring to when it comes to selection. You wouldnt want to just play the kids to see how they go if it opens you up to this type of defeat.

Fortunately we dont play a side for the rest of the year who will give us this type of reaming that Melbourne copped today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont buy the whole 'developement in seniors only' theory.
I like Collingwoods view of throwing the birth certificate away and if theyre in the top 22 they play. Saw an interview a few weeks ago and they said its been that way since malthouse has been there.
Playing kids not yet ready can do more harm than good to the whole club system imo, not sure why they cant be developed and judged in the 2's.

I agree:thumbsu::thumbsu:, I am so glad, McGuane or whoever(with respect) got injured so Grimes could be allowed to develop!!!

I remember someon in the footy world said they do not like players in the 2nds for month or so as the comp is too weak. I think they might be right and we should throw more youngsters in so they can learn quicker if, and its a big if, the bodies are ready to protect themselves!!
)

Today was the type of damaging loss that I was referring to when it comes to selection. You wouldnt want to just play the kids to see how they go if it opens you up to this type of defeat.

Fortunately we dont play a side for the rest of the year who will give us this type of reaming that Melbourne copped today.

When you play the kids the expectations are lower so , like GC, the mental effect is not as great particularly if they have the ability to draw confidence from!!

I will try this succintcly........

Note to mods Big footy needs spell check:)
Note to NQ, you need to check your spelling yourself.
But like Rayzor, I am strangely attracted to the word succampaignerly too.:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back