Preview Preview and Discussion Round 3 Richmond v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1270_1_lg.jpg

Puopolo was supposedly good for BH and would like to see him, with his pace and hardness at the contest, brought in.

I don't like Laddo, Suckers and Birch all in the same team, so Birch out for mine and Puopolo in.

Not sure on Renouf's concussion, but assume he will get up.

FB: Ladson - Stratton - Gilham
HB: Puopolo - Gibson - Hodge
Ce: Young - Mitchell - Savage
HF: Suckling - Franklin - Osborne
FF: Burgoyne - Roughead - Hale

Ru: Renouf
RR: Sewell
Ro: Rioli

I/C: Lewis, Shiels, Savage + Bruce

McGuane (going to be suspended), Rance (suspended), Moore injured. 3 best 22 key backs.

It's probably going to be Thursfield (undersized fringe defender) vs Roughead and Astbury (2nd year tall struggling for form)/Grimes (2nd year tall, 1 or 2 games experience) vs Franklin.

Would not be surprised to see both of them combined kick 15 goals. Hope not but....:eek:

Birch was terrific today. Intensity early was fantastic. Ran hard to link up. 2 headlong smothers that put paid to the "Birch has a pea heart/never puts his head over it" BS that goes on on this board when we lose. 25 disposals. 7 contested.

Full credit to Ossie, Laddo and Changa... all gut ran for the last half and all definitely ran themselves into some form. Ossies suicidal attack on the ball was back late as his confidence grew.

Full credit to Clarko who unlike most other coaches actually does give young fellas multiple games before dropping them. You'd all sacked Suckling last week. Savage and Liam are showing fantastic improvement. We have pressure coming from underneath in Goo and X.

We are all quick to jump ship and sack blokes... we have a side capable of a great deal... so I understand the disappointmend at times... but I reckon we need to start showing a bit of respect and faith in the coaching staff.
We have had absolutely horrendous preseasons 2 years running. This was the DIRECT result of a VERY young side playing very "vigorous" footy for 30+ weeks and winning a GF before their "time".

We have some real warriors in our side who are hungry for success. Lets get behind this group... cut the sack the coach crap... cut the photo shopped pictures of a gun to his head and stop acting like a mob of childish Richmond-esque sooks. As we saw tonight... the tide turns quickly.

Great post Roswell. Couldnt agree more.
I wish some of our "supporters" would do a bit more more supporting. I like our new gameplan and I'm willing to concede a few easy goals over the top each game if it means each week we enter our forward 50 10-15 more times than the opposition.
I think everyone did their job this week and I would love for us to go into this game with no changes. The more settled the line up the more consistency in our performance. I am hopeful of more output from Renouf, Hale and Bruce.
Personally I would start Lewis and use Bruce as the sub.
If we have the same F50 differential this week we will win by 15 goals.

I don't mind new players being introduced and being given their chance. I didn't like doing it against Bumblebee's. That's where I think we needed solid performers. Plenty of time to introduce players like Suckers, Shiela, Savage... next easy three rounds.

Lost that one, can't take back that.

But playing newbs...; Isn't that like saying premiership window has closed? I'm amazed X-Man is dropped after his best pre-season. He's not the quickest but neither is Hodge. Just smart... to be honest, rather see X-Man than Bruce. Based on performances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glad to see some love for Birch for a change. Unusual. Such a good rebounder, though not a great defender. That's the thing, Hawks are not tremendous at defence, that's a Saints thing. We hurt more than we take.

Who will take Riewoldt? If he plays... Gilham, but will need help. We'll beat them upfield. Sool, Mitch, do it again. With better performances from Suzy and Hale, since Richmond don't have a lot in ruck.

I'll say Hodge won't play. He's nowhere near fit. I say archive him till he's a weapon again. Do surgery and get him up for finals. So I say, I don't think it's any good having him struggle round by round.

But playing newbs...; Isn't that like saying premiership window has closed?

Not at all, they are contributing, superbly today. The 3 "newbs" playing are Savage, Suckling and Shiels, + Whitecross week one. Players young in games experience, but have been in the system a few years, the old apprenticeship. It's what you want to happen, that was the plan when selecting them in the draft - "in a couple of years this kid will....".

It's not a couple of years, it's usually three or four at best... how long was Buddy and Roughie in the system?

Love to see Shiela and Suckers and Savage get to the next level, just that I think vs Adelaide was a bad idea to play kids when we needed experience and smarts... was plenty of time to get extra games into those young players in these next few rounds... but that's hindsight...

Richmond don't have any big experienced ruckmen to mention. Hawks should own the next game. Confidence boost for Renouf and Hale. They'll try to run like lunatics and rush us out of position but we should be too good for them.

Couldn't possibly drop anyone after today, should have probably won by 100 or more.

Providing Renouf gets up i would say no changes vs Richmond. If Renouf doesn't get up i would say

Out: Renouf
In: One of Guerra/X/Pop/Murphy

With Rough to go into the ruck when vickery goes in.

Also like Lewis as the sub, had an immediate impact on the game. Don't think Bruce would make a good sub he seems to fumble early and need to work his way into a game.

Massive :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu: to Suckling today, first time i've seen him stand up when the pressure is on, good stuff.

go hawks

I said it in another thread, and I don't want to harp on it, but I would love to see us line up how we ended the game. Renouf out, Lewis in the team, stick the next midfielder in the queue as the sub. We are way too slow in the forward line with Franko, Roughead and Hale in there and don't apply enough pressure when the ball hits the ground, and Renouf is behind Hale as the main ruck for the time being (and is less dangerous when resting forward).

hows about lisle and pup in
renouf and bruce out
bruce just doent seem to fit the hawk mould in my opinion
lacks the grunt required

Personally I would start Lewis and use Bruce as the sub

Bruce isn't a big enough of an impact player, lewis worked really well because he goes in really hard, Bruce doesn't have the bulk or the pace to be an impact player.

I'll say Hodge won't play. He's nowhere near fit.

Pardon my ignorance... but is this actually likely or are you just posting some fun?
Did he re-injure himself? Have not read that anywhere.

Pace, pace and more pace...

Outs: Renouf and Bruce (Mitchell on notice, as his turn-overs in the first two rounds have been telling, I think the game might be passing him by to be honest)

Ins: Pup and Smith (Sub)

No Lewis as sub, we don't need a second ruck as Roughie pinch-hitted perfectly...

Pace, pace and more pace...

Outs: Renouf and Bruce (Mitchell on notice, as his turn-overs in the first two rounds have been telling, I think the game might be passing him by to be honest)

Ins: Pup and Smith (Sub)

No Lewis as sub, we don't need a second ruck as Roughie pinch-hitted perfectly...

He's on fire. Best form for 2 years. Clearing it beautifully. All our players skills are down on where they should be but Mitch most certainly isn't on notice. His name is inked on every team sheet already and rightfully so.

As for the game - we just need early wins and have the draw to accommodate us. After the last few seasons we simply must be in the positive early for the W-L ratio.

I expect a fairly comfortable win and would be surprised if there were any unforced changes. Hodge did enough - no point playing at Box Hill.

Birch was terrific today. Intensity early was fantastic. Ran hard to link up. 2 headlong smothers that put paid to the "Birch has a pea heart/never puts his head over it" BS that goes on on this board when we lose. 25 disposals. 7 contested.

Full credit to Ossie, Laddo and Changa... all gut ran for the last half and all definitely ran themselves into some form. Ossies suicidal attack on the ball was back late as his confidence grew.

Full credit to Clarko who unlike most other coaches actually does give young fellas multiple games before dropping them. You'd all sacked Suckling last week. Savage and Liam are showing fantastic improvement. We have pressure coming from underneath in Goo and X.

We are all quick to jump ship and sack blokes... we have a side capable of a great deal... so I understand the disappointmend at times... but I reckon we need to start showing a bit of respect and faith in the coaching staff.
We have had absolutely horrendous preseasons 2 years running. This was the DIRECT result of a VERY young side playing very "vigorous" footy for 30+ weeks and winning a GF before their "time".

We have some real warriors in our side who are hungry for success. Lets get behind this group... cut the sack the coach crap... cut the photo shopped pictures of a gun to his head and stop acting like a mob of childish Richmond-esque sooks. As we saw tonight... the tide turns quickly.

I defended the kid to the hilt last week. Geez he had 22 possessions and he wasn't our worst but always for some reason the first to be targeted. Yes i too can't believe the reaction on here when i came back after the game. Went through the game day thread shaking my head. I think some posters need to control their emotions and pull their heads in. At least wait till after the result before blowing off steam.

Just clarifying my earlier post, I dont think Birch's game was a bad one, or that he deserves to be dropped by any means.
I just think that we need Goo to come in, and either one of Birch/Ossie/Bruce needs to be dropped to allow this to happen, as i think Goo is a better fit for the stucture of our team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back