"Professional" tripping should be a 1 game ban

Remove this Banner Ad

May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Since when did the AFL rescind on the rule where any form of trip, whether it be by hand or foot not be an instant suspension?

It is a tactic that obviously requires no skill and can potentially rob the AFL of many great highlights.

Think of all the great run and carry highlights such as Buddy's running double against Essendon that could have so easily been denied to footy fans by just a simple-effortless tap of the heel.

I watched the replay, Hooker could have easily just lunged forward and tapped the back of his heel when he kicked his second running goal.

It's just something that requires no skill and is robbing the game of numerous highlights.

Who knows how many we've missed already.

I write this because I hope it can resonate with someone in the AFL who reads it or with ties to it and the most egregious oversight in how the game is ruled can be revised.

Tripping with the leg is dangerous.

Tripping with the hand, is legal in NFL and NRL.

Not ban worthy, just a free kick.

It became too hard to interpret in a way that meant that ordinary players could get banned but there was a backdoor tunnel to fine superstars.

Tripping by hand has never been a suspension. But it did use to be a 50 metre penalty.

Think of all the great run and carry highlights such as Buddy's running double against Essendon that could have so easily been denied to footy fans by just a simple-effortless tap of the heel.

I watched the replay, Hooker could have easily just lunged forward and tapped the back of his heel when he kicked his second running goal.

Really? Most likely he’d have done a faceplant and looked even more foolish than he ended up doing.

I honestly can’t say watching AFL that intentional tripping is high on my concerns. How about we stamp out stuff like incorrect disposal first.

Deliberately tripping by hand should be a free kick and a 50 meter penalty IMO. That should deter players from doing it as it is dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If the head is sacrosanct, the legs should be that next tier. Leg injuries are devastating and really there is no excuse for intentionally taking them out. It's just dirty.
Excuse my ignorance because I actually don't know. Has anyone ever actually been hurt in the AFL from a trip recently?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back