Proud to be an Aussie?

Remove this Banner Ad

R Chee Manning

Marlo Snellman
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I get sick of all the Kochie-styled 'Australia's the greatest country in the world' type rhetoric that is wheeled out on a daily basis in this country.

Australia is a good country. But please don't tell me it's the greatest society to have ever graced the face of the earth and Australians are the greatest people to have ever walked the earth and no one else in the world is anywhere near as good as 'us Aussies'.

Australia is a lucky country run mainly by second rate people who share its luck. It lives on other people's ideas, and, although its ordinary people are adaptable, most of its leaders (in all fields) so lack curiosity about the events that surround them that they are often taken by surprise.

By world standards we ain't that special.

I'm an Australian citizen and I love this country. It's just the people that aren't that likeable.

Boorish, bogan, backward.

It's time we ended this GOAT mentality and realised we Aussies ain't as s**t hot as we think we are.

I wouldn't say proud. I'm grateful and fortunate to live here.

National pride is a sticky subject. I enjoy our culture and way of life - although that's a subjective viewpoint and I don't think it's good to base any patriotic feelings on that.

Our national attitudes to global issues and our role in the world is something I would base my pride on. Compared to other wealthy Western countries, I think we've got a lot to answer for.

I wouldn't say proud. I'm grateful and fortunate to live here.

National pride is a sticky subject. I enjoy our culture and way of life - although that's a subjective viewpoint and I don't think it's good to base any patriotic feelings on that.

Our national attitudes to global issues and our role in the world is something I would base my pride on. Compared to other wealthy Western countries, I think we've got a lot to answer for.

I think the younger generation is not buying into the bullshit anymore.

The have access to the rest of the world unfiltered 24/7 in a way we never did...

When David Koch on Sunrise says something like 'Only Aussies can truly....' they know that's bullshit straight away.

We're still essentially a British colonial out-post, who provide a lot of natural resources & raw minerals, that the Anglo-American network requires to maintain their hold upon the world.

Murdoche does an excellent job for the criminal banksters, by keeping the natives dumbed-down & in check....Lets not kid ourselves, most of us are debt-slaves to the criminal corporate elites, who have a hold upon our Federal government....So in that sense, we are as much alike as many other Western Imperial out-posts.

I think the younger generation is not buying into the ******** anymore.

The have access to the rest of the world unfiltered 24/7 in a way we never did...

When David Koch on Sunrise says something like 'Only Aussies can truly....' they know that's ******** straight away.

I think there's a bit of a boredom in being Australian right now. There's nothing really unique or special or "quintessentially Australian" to our lives, and there's nothing really important for us to fight against or that we're really threatened by (beyond ACA-style scaremongering). Most of us are essentially living in variant of average American suburban mediocrity, and while for the most part it's safe, it's also pretty f**king dull and unimaginative. Not really sure what we should want or expect otherwise either, which is part of the problem. And no, we don't "need a war", or any of that crap to "justify our existence".

Where?

Scomo spent the entire election campaign telling us 'How good is Australia'

Of course he did....Where else could a complete numptee & many times over business bankrupt like him, be accepted as anything remotely resembling a competent leader & Prime Minister!....Accept in America & England.... of course.

I think there's a bit of a boredom in being Australian right now. There's nothing really unique or special or "quintessentially Australian" to our lives, and there's nothing really important for us to fight against or that we're really threatened by (beyond ACA-style scaremongering). Most of us are essentially living in variant of average American suburban mediocrity, and while for the most part it's safe, it's also pretty f**king dull and unimaginative. Not really sure what we should want or expect otherwise either, which is part of the problem. And no, we don't "need a war", or any of that crap to "justify our existence".

Meantime across the Tasman Kiwis continue to embrace their own identity.

Meantime across the Tasman Kiwis continue to embrace their own identity.

So if we did (what honestly comes across on face value as) some weird comedy dance in the name of "culture!", even if it has no meaning in relation to our individual cultural/ethnic backgrounds (eg. non-Maoris participating), we'd all be more enriched?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if we did (what honestly comes across on face value as) some weird comedy dance in the name of "culture!", even if it has no meaning in relation to our individual cultural/ethnic backgrounds (eg. non-Maoris participating), we'd all be more enriched?

And I guess that's where our two nations diverge...

Maori got the right to vote in 1840... in your country you resisted until 1967 (to finally give Aboriginal people citizenship)...

It's 2019 and you still ridicule indigenous culture. It's 'some weird comedy dance'.

You're way out of step with even modern thinking even here in Australia.

'Some weird comedy dance' was performed at my daughter's footy game this afternoon. It's the indigenous round, get used to it mate.

It's 2019 and you still ridicule indigenous culture. It's 'some weird comedy dance'.

You're way out of step with even modern thinking even here in Australia.

'Some weird comedy dance' was performed at my daughters footy game this afternoon. It's the indigenous round, get used to it mate.

I am used to it, and I've got absolutely nothing against it. I think you've misread my post as some sort of anti- thing or racially prejudicial.

My point is, if it's not something you culturally identify with and holds meaning for you, it doesn't come across as important, no matter how much you promote and present it publicly. Fact is, for the vast majority of people living in Australia in 2019, our Indigenous culture has no direct resonance or meaning to them individually. Even "white culture" and history from, say, "pre-1960s" (the wartime "digger" mentality/generation) really has no bearing or influence on their thinking and lives. We can acknowledge and respect what came before, but it doesn't really affect anything we do or say or think or feel on an everyday basis. We've got jobs to go to, and bills to pay, and relationships, and food and drink and TV to consume, just like most other Western societies.

There's nothing "uniquely Australian" about the average person's life or mindset in Australia today. We're America Lite. McAustralia. That's it.

What’s stopping you all from leaving then? Find somewhere better if it’s not good enough. These threads **** me.

So why do you think the place is so s**t you are encouraging people to leave?

Do you really think Australia is that bad?

I am used to it, and I've got absolutely nothing against it. I think you've misread my post as some sort of anti- thing or racially prejudicial.

My point is, if it's not something you culturally identify with and holds meaning for you, it doesn't come across as important, no matter how much you promote and present it publicly. Fact is, for the vast majority of people living in Australia in 2019, our Indigenous culture has no direct resonance or meaning to them individually. Even "white culture" and history from, say, "pre-1960s" (the wartime "digger" mentality/generation) really has no bearing or influence on their thinking and lives. We can acknowledge and respect what came before, but it doesn't really affect anything we do or say or think or feel on an everyday basis. We've got jobs to go to, and bills to pay, and relationships, and food and drink and TV to consume, just like most other Western societies.

There's nothing "uniquely Australian" about the average person's life or mindset in Australia today. We're America Lite. McAustralia. That's it.

My mother is full Maori. I'm half Maori.

The half of me that is Pakeha does not reject my Maori culture.

Neither do my family who are 100% Pakeha. Indeed, they embrace Maori culture just as much as anyone else.

New Zealanders are mature enough to accept and embrace Maori culture without resorting to churlish taunts like 'weird comedy dance'.

Australia has a long, long way to go to grow up and accept that us non-whites are not just there for you to ridicule.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back