Hard Solo - Boozey soft drink to be renamed

Remove this Banner Ad

How are people going to learn to drink straight spirits if this muck is on sale?
It's a far cry from the 1980's Ouzo and cola UDL can!

Although the Vodka and Orange UDL from the same vintage wasn't that removed from Fanta.

Dennis Leary used to do a bit about this. "That's the way alcohol used to be. If you drank the drink, you got the face. All the whisky drinkers looked like this..."

"“Why drink beer when you can drink lemonade?” school leaver Jack said while walking through the streets of Surfers Paradise at the weekend, clutching a yellow-and-black cardboard carton of Hard Solo"

"“If you’re sick of the taste of beer, get on the Hard Solos – ‘cause it’s like soft drink but it’s so packed with alcohol it will f**k you up,” Luke, 18, said on Saturday night."

"“Why drink beer when you can drink lemonade?” school leaver Jack said while walking through the streets of Surfers Paradise at the weekend, clutching a yellow-and-black cardboard carton of Hard Solo"
i just read that article, what gets me is the media are going hard at this drink yet there are 20 different flavours of vodka cruisers that taste like fruit juice and no one bats an eyelid.

i just read that article, what gets me is the media are going hard at this drink yet there are 20 different flavours of vodka cruisers that taste like fruit juice and no one bats an eyelid.
I think it's that stage for teenagers where the goal of having a drink is to get drunk, but they're not too embarrassed to say it out loud nowadays.

I think it's that stage for teenagers where the goal of having a drink is to get drunk, but they're not too embarrassed to say it out loud nowadays.
and lets be honest beer tastes like s**t so why not drink something that tastes good

Were we reluctant to say it at that age?

Were we reluctant to say it at that age?
There was embarrassment around drinking alco-pops for guys in my circles. The non beerdrinkers would have to mix their own manly bacardi and fruit juice and Malibu and coke...

But yeah, I remember friends who did think getting absolutely smashed was cool. You're right.

There was embarrassment around drinking alco-pops for guys in my circles. The non beerdrinkers would have to mix their own manly bacardi and fruit juice and Malibu and coke...

But yeah, I remember friends who did think getting absolutely smashed was cool. You're right.
we just drank whatever was cheapest. I do know i drank strongbow dry because i didn't want to be a girl who drank the sweet version

we just drank whatever was cheapest. I do know i drank strongbow dry because i didn't want to be a girl who drank the sweet version
I reckon my first "illicit" drink was a strongbow someone got for me at a barbie after cricket at about 16. My parents were there, and I was having a sip then leaving it on a table while we played pool.

I remember my bedroom rotating when I tried to sleep that night...

I reckon my first "illicit" drink was a strongbow someone got for me at a barbie after cricket at about 16. My parents were there, and I was having a sip then leaving it on a table while we played pool.

I remember my bedroom rotating when I tried to sleep that night...
i got plastered on strongbow at one party and got sent home, when i walked back the next morining i found that i hd been using the wheel arches of my car to open the crown seal bottles :oops:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"“If you’re sick of the taste of beer, get on the Hard Solos – ‘cause it’s like soft drink but it’s so packed with alcohol it will f**k you up,” Luke, 18, said on Saturday night."

Read the article this morning and felt that it kinda proved the point being made about the product.

My only argument though, is that if the decision to drink/get drunk at that age is made, it is not because of the marketing of the product, it is a social construct. The marketed product just makes it more palatable if the prior decision has already been made.

I get that times are changing. I'm 38yo. I recall one year at the end of year 10, I must have been 16, about 3 mates and I went down to Rye for end of year celebrations. We all gathered at one mates house as his Dad was going to take us down there. On the way, we stopped and picked up 4 slabs of VB cans. At this point, I hated beer with a passion. Anytime my old man had offered me one, occasionally I'd give it the ole 'I'll see if I can tolerate it now' taste and nope! No thank you! But let me tell you, after we'd spent 10 days or however long it was away, drinking nothing but VB cans, I returned home a beer drinker. If you're intent is to drink, you'll drink.

It's a far cry from the 1980's Ouzo and cola UDL can!

Although the Vodka and Orange UDL from the same vintage wasn't that removed from Fanta.

Dennis Leary used to do a bit about this. "That's the way alcohol used to be. If you drank the drink, you got the face. All the whisky drinkers looked like this..."
These were tremendous in the mid 2000s. 10 for $20, no one else liked them so no risk in mine being knicked from eskies at parties.

Moved to beers as I got older, the sweet cans are foul. Red Peroni bottles ftw

I read the quote before the URL and expected it was going to be from Betoota!

I think the major point of concern raised here is that young kids don't know the difference between lemonade and lemon squash

Remove this Banner Ad

Back