╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮
Jul 21, 2022
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#DR3

article said:
An alcoholic version of the popular soft drink Solo is being renamed after it was found to breach official code standards following a series of complaints.
The Alcohol Beverages Advertising Code Scheme (ABAC) has backflipped after previously ruling Hard Solo was an appropriate product and consistent with the requirements of the Code.

However Carlton & United Breweries (CUB) are now changing the name of its ready-to-drink alcohol lemon beverage to Hard Rated after a ABAC review panel found it breaches the Code standard in relation to strong or evident appeal to minors.

I've been in a debate twice with a mate about this now.

He's of the opinion that yes, because of its link to the non alcoholic beverage, it would encourage younger people to drink it.

I feel like it's a bit of a complaint for the sake of complaining scenario, akin to thinking we should change the name of Coon cheese because someone out there thinks it has racist undertones.

What's your thoughts?

I am a young person (early 20s) who has had a few of these. At the end of the day, its still illegal to serve alcohol to a minor, or to sell it in a bottle-o to a minor. While the connection between the two may lead to an slightly greater inclination for teenagers to drink underage, I'm more of the opinion that there are more important things to be worrying about than something of this level.

I'm more of the opinion that there are more important things to be worrying about than something of this level
But this is exactly what this ABAC mob are there to do.

Lol, one of the reasons is because Hard Solo could be confused with Hans Solo, a popular character with children.

Think they've had a few hard solos because that isn't his name.

This is a 74 page document written by professionals.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Lol, one of the reasons is because Hard Solo could be confused with Hans Solo, a popular character with children.

Isn't Hans Solo the guy who dresses up in lederhosen?

I am a young person (early 20s) who has had a few of these. At the end of the day, its still illegal to serve alcohol to a minor, or to sell it in a bottle-o to a minor. While the connection between the two may lead to an slightly greater inclination for teenagers to drink underage, I'm more of the opinion that there are more important things to be worrying about than something of this level.

Was it any good? Is it just Lemon Ruski 25 years later?

When Michelle Phillips saw Star Wars for the first time she saw Harrison Ford and thought hey that's my pot dealer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I read through the decision document. Some of the complaints give the human race little credit.

exactly what they planned, so much free advertising since it launched, wow hard solo
and now with name change more news

bravo indeed
Have to agree with this, its exactly how they'd do it

They don't get pulled up they get the brand recognition, they do they get the brand recognition and free advertising from the fall out

Lemon Ruski is just Two Dogs 5 years later...
wait are you saying lemon ruski copied something else?

was there really a lemon wine vodka combo before the ruski?

I tried one that my daughter brought home the other day, I rarely drink these days but i couldn't even taste the alcohol in it and it was just like Solo. They've nailed the advertising and the market, i don't think it needs a name change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back