QAFL 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Eddie Sansbury to Broady .... well Broady have posted a comment on their website,, saying ,, a big announcement on Friday ,,,,
So this might be the news ,
they get him committed to playing the season ,, not this games a season bullshit,,, Broady are going to improve big time ...
That will be 6 regular NEAFL players coming back to this level ,,, and plenty of good juniors coming up, and only 2 out of the 6 guys making Southports final list ,,thus, we will have 4 of these guys on a weekly basis .
Big buzz around the club ,,

Behave Doddsy75, next you will find people trying replicate that for success ,and I am laughing here some might even want to build relationships to understand how that was built.
I've seen it go both ways when I was down south. Could you elaborate on the relationships component?

I've seen it go both ways when I was down south. Could you elaborate on the relationships component?
If a club exhibits successful outcomes then that club should be acknowledged and embraced because the clues to another clubs' future success lies within that experience.Everybody has opinions even poor achievers it is the counsel of successful people you should seek if you are looking for the mechanisms and processes that produce successful outcomes.

Very true statement. I couldn't agree more with you.
Could you touch more on the relationships that was built though?

If a club exhibits successful outcomes then that club should be acknowledged and embraced because the clues to another clubs' future success lies within that experience.Everybody has opinions even poor achievers it is the counsel of successful people you should seek if you are looking for the mechanisms and processes that produce successful outcomes.

I think it's easy to confuse on field success = good culture or vice versa.
Certainly agree that Labrador have turned their club around on field from a few years back. But is this as a result of great culture?
As an outsider, a number of factors changed. Firstly going down a level to the QAFL from NEAFL. Using resources not available to other clubs to recruit heavily etc.
Not sure either what relationships have been forged above any other clubs - would be good to hear what these are? That would be useful for other clubs if there is any substance.
Agree though there seems to be a lot more stability at Labrador since the days of NEAFL.
I think the culture at clubs like Surfers Paradise, Mt Gravatt who have been very competitive without many resources is just as honourable as the clubs with significantly more funds/resources as Lab, Palmy etc.
I think each clubs have their own issues specific to their individual circumstances.
What I have seen over the past 20 years in "QAFL" footy is that more often than not the teams with the most resources attract the most talent and win the most premierships.

Players create good or bad cultures, not the club, but clubs do play a part in the culture by the calibre of coaching staff & players they recruit/allow into their club.

Certainly agree that Labrador have turned their club around on field from a few years back. But is this as a result of great culture?
As an outsider, a number of factors changed. Firstly going down a level to the QAFL from NEAFL. Using resources not available to other clubs to recruit heavily etc.
Not sure either what relationships have been forged above any other clubs - would be good to hear what these are? That would be useful for other clubs if there is any substance.
Agree though there seems to be a lot more stability at Labrador since the days of NEAFL.
I think the culture at clubs like Surfers Paradise, Mt Gravatt who have been very competitive without many resources is just as honourable as the clubs with significantly more funds/resources as Lab, Palmy etc.
I think each clubs have their own issues specific to their individual circumstances.
What I have seen over the past 20 years in "QAFL" footy is that more often than not the teams with the most resources attract the most talent and win the most premierships.[/QUOTE]

How can you say this when Morningside is one of the most successful clubs in this period without much coin at all??
I must have missed something but Labrador played in the NEAFL???

It's a myth that we had no coin. Certainly not as much as a few others like the Sharks, but everyone was well compensated to play at the Siders. Blokes weren't coming from interstate for the culture!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nick malceski has signed to play 6 games for Labrador and eddie sansbury signed with broadbeach

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Latest word is Malceski hasn't signed with Labrador yet, or anyone for that matter, he's requesting a club to do some reno's on his house & in return he'll play some games.
You'd think he would've earnt enough coin in his career thus far to afford his own reno's!

Latest word is Malceski hasn't signed with Labrador yet, or anyone for that matter, he's requesting a club to do some reno's on his house & in return he'll play some games.
You'd think he would've earnt enough coin in his career thus far to afford his own reno's!
Where do receive all your information from?

When Labrador plays Western Magpies do you reckon Staker might have something else on that weekend?

If Staker was playing for Magpies and Hall was playing for Labrador would it be cool to see Hall bust Stakers jaw because it relives an old AFL moment or because Staker was playing for the Magpies?

It's a myth that we had no coin. Certainly not as much as a few others like the Sharks, but everyone was well compensated to play at the Siders. Blokes weren't coming from interstate for the culture!

Love the honest post Doddsy.

Morningside are a great footy club and my club Broadbeach have had plenty of battles over the years, but I used to get tired of hearing all the success was built on no money and just culture only. Ive not doubt plenty of the great players over the years played for less than what they could get elsewhere but you are dead right about the myth of no money. The boys were all getting paid ok.

You would know the details better than me but its known the siders ran up debt from player payments and needed the major sponsor and certain supporters to bail them out. This story happened a few times over the years. Not just a "culture" story here, there's also a "pay players" story too.

Most community clubs run the same way, have a crack at moving up the ladder or premiership by getting some players on decent coin, then run out of cash, drop down again. Consolidate for a year or two then have a crack again. Unless of course you have pokies that generate $$$$ then you can just have a crack every year.

Look forward to the annual trip up to Esplen oval later this year.

They would have been ranked mid table in terms of salaries paid. Not the worst but nowhere near the best either. Yet were the most successful side of that era - wasnt built on buying premierships.

What I have seen over the past 20 years in "QAFL" footy is that more often than not the teams with the most resources attract the most talent and win the most premierships.

Your last statement applies not just to the QAFL but to pretty much every league and every sport.

The last 12 months with the doggies and Leicester probably the exception but let's be honest in AFL (despite equalisation rules left right and centre) and premier league in England the rich teams generally win the premierships. American sport generally the same despite moneyball.

If Labrador and PBC paid between 30-50k on players like the rest of the comp then would the "superior culture" get them the players they've picked up in the last couple of years? I think not.

If a benefactor came to Sandgate and gave them 150k my bet would be they would get some players and jump up into finals and contend for a premiership quick smart.

Culture, training, coaching, game plans etc definitely come into it especially between clubs of similar financial resources, but if we think these are the number one factor in winning premierships over finances we are kidding ourselves.

Hence why national comps in this country have salary caps.

Just reality.

Your last statement applies not just to the QAFL but to pretty much every league and every sport.

The last 12 months with the doggies and Leicester probably the exception but let's be honest in AFL (despite equalisation rules left right and centre) and premier league in England the rich teams generally win the premierships. American sport generally the same despite moneyball.

If Labrador and PBC paid between 30-50k on players like the rest of the comp then would the "superior culture" get them the players they've picked up in the last couple of years? I think not.

If a benefactor came to Sandgate and gave them 150k my bet would be they would get some players and jump up into finals and contend for a premiership quick smart.

Culture, training, coaching, game plans etc definitely come into it especially between clubs of similar financial resources, but if we think these are the number one factor in winning premierships over finances we are kidding ourselves.

Hence why national comps in this country have salary caps.

Just reality.

Who is spending 150k? Clubs can attract players without big cash and can help in other ways such as employment which is more important. It's not all about money at amateur level.

Maybe some clubs work harder off the field to get the little things right that help create an environment where players want to come

They would have been ranked mid table in terms of salaries paid. Not the worst but nowhere near the best either. Yet were the most successful side of that era - wasnt built on buying premierships.

Agree. Just put more time into who we chased, how good they were and what it would take to get them

Didn't hurt we had a bunch of juniors come through at the same time that were guns in their own rights.

And they kept these juniors more importantly. A club like Aspley had significant larger revenue streams and couldnt get out of the bottom table for a fair while!!

Love the honest post Doddsy.

Morningside are a great footy club and my club Broadbeach have had plenty of battles over the years, but I used to get tired of hearing all the success was built on no money and just culture only. Ive not doubt plenty of the great players over the years played for less than what they could get elsewhere but you are dead right about the myth of no money. The boys were all getting paid ok.

You would know the details better than me but its known the siders ran up debt from player payments and needed the major sponsor and certain supporters to bail them out. This story happened a few times over the years. Not just a "culture" story here, there's also a "pay players" story too.

Most community clubs run the same way, have a crack at moving up the ladder or premiership by getting some players on decent coin, then run out of cash, drop down again. Consolidate for a year or two then have a crack again. Unless of course you have pokies that generate $$$$ then you can just have a crack every year.

Look forward to the annual trip up to Esplen oval later this year.

Yes ,, i believe you are spot on .... My employer is a major sponsor of the Panthers and has been for some 20 years or so .. it is no secret they were paying good coin to players in the Blair coaching regime ,,, something Blair demanded !!!!
In Blairs final season, the newly appointed heirachy concluded this has to cease as the clubs facilities were becoming so outdated it wasnt funny ...
Moving forward,, the club has gained grants , raised their own funds etc etc to assist them in improving the facilities ... give it 2 seasons and the panthers homeground will have great facilities,,, just like Broadbeach s .... these facilities will assist in attracting players without having to pay the big bucks to players .. to some degree.
May I also comment ,,, since Blairs move to coach at Aspley ,,, a wealthy club,,, success occurred in the first 2 seasons, but has dropped off ,, can you guess why !!!!!...Maybe, just maybe the same scenario ,, to much coin being paid to players ,, not to mention what Blairy is paid, ..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back