QAFL 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

What happens in the juniors these days concerns me though. My nephew was at Coorparoo and is a decent footballer. He moved to Morningside to play Div 1 after several unsolicited approaches from the Panthers. Obviously, I was happy for him to got the Panthers and encouraged the move.

However, since attending only a few training sessions and games this year already I'm concerned at the focus on recruiting more players from other clubs instead of just coaching the local kids that have turned up to play. If I had a dollar for every time I get told of the 'work' they're putting into a kid from <insert club here> I wouldn't be very rich, but I'd have about $15 extra which is too much for my liking!

Now that hall has officially signed it will be interesting to see how many points the league says he is worth.

What does everyone on here think he's worth?

What happens in the juniors these days concerns me though. My nephew was at Coorparoo and is a decent footballer. He moved to Morningside to play Div 1 after several unsolicited approaches from the Panthers. Obviously, I was happy for him to got the Panthers and encouraged the move.

However, since attending only a few training sessions and games this year already I'm concerned at the focus on recruiting more players from other clubs instead of just coaching the local kids that have turned up to play. If I had a dollar for every time I get told of the 'work' they're putting into a kid from <insert club here> I wouldn't be very rich, but I'd have about $15 extra which is too much for my liking!

What it is is total crap Doddsy. No one should ever speak to juniors about moving clubs. It should be something that is strongly discouraged, if not made near impossible to do at any age from U16 downwards. Whats to say Doddsy that if your nephew stopped at the blues that a few others also stayed, and Coorparoo ended up in Div 1 themselves. If kids make the move themselves then I sort of understand but when preyed upon by bloks who think they are building a kingdom then reckon its crap. Unfortunately they are spun a line about greater opportunities, better coaching etc which again is complete rubbish. I've seen plenty of blokes at NEAFL/QAFL clubs coaching junior teams who I wouldnt let my kid near. Their total concern is about results. Bottom line is if a kid is good enough in Qld he will get seen and will get the opportunity. FFS there is kid out of Townsville who debuted for the Kangaroos on the weekend - football desert!

What it is is total crap Doddsy. No one should ever speak to juniors about moving clubs. It should be something that is strongly discouraged, if not made near impossible to do at any age from U16 downwards. Whats to say Doddsy that if your nephew stopped at the blues that a few others also stayed, and Coorparoo ended up in Div 1 themselves. If kids make the move themselves then I sort of understand but when preyed upon by bloks who think they are building a kingdom then reckon its crap. Unfortunately they are spun a line about greater opportunities, better coaching etc which again is complete rubbish. I've seen plenty of blokes at NEAFL/QAFL clubs coaching junior teams who I wouldnt let my kid near. Their total concern is about results. Bottom line is if a kid is good enough in Qld he will get seen and will get the opportunity. FFS there is kid out of Townsville who debuted for the Kangaroos on the weekend - football desert!
So true about the coaches at junior level SMY. Obviously not all are bad, but I haven't seen too many great ones. It seems most are doing it for the wrong reasons. I had a nephew playing at a big div 1 club at under 12 level, and the coach was trying to get them to switch play and focus on match tactics when literally half the side could not kick a footy. Qld will never catch the southern states.

Yes ,, i believe you are spot on .... My employer is a major sponsor of the Panthers and has been for some 20 years or so .. it is no secret they were paying good coin to players in the Blair coaching regime ,,, something Blair demanded !!!!
In Blairs final season, the newly appointed heirachy concluded this has to cease as the clubs facilities were becoming so outdated it wasnt funny ...
Moving forward,, the club has gained grants , raised their own funds etc etc to assist them in improving the facilities ... give it 2 seasons and the panthers homeground will have great facilities,,, just like Broadbeach s .... these facilities will assist in attracting players without having to pay the big bucks to players .. to some degree.
May I also comment ,,, since Blairs move to coach at Aspley ,,, a wealthy club,,, success occurred in the first 2 seasons, but has dropped off ,, can you guess why !!!!!...Maybe, just maybe the same scenario ,, to much coin being paid to players ,, not to mention what Blairy is paid, ..

Are you serious??
Blairs record at Aspley
2013 - Grand Final
2014 - premiers
2015 - Grand Final
2016 - Prelim Final

you are a very hard marker!!!!

What it is is total crap Doddsy. No one should ever speak to juniors about moving clubs. It should be something that is strongly discouraged, if not made near impossible to do at any age from U16 downwards.

Agree. But we at the Panthers do it, I'm not going to pretend we don't. I'm sure other clubs are guilty of it as well.

Sometimes its just a pushy parent, but other times kids get unsolicited approaches and its deplorable

Yes ,, i believe you are spot on .... My employer is a major sponsor of the Panthers and has been for some 20 years or so .. it is no secret they were paying good coin to players in the Blair coaching regime ,,, something Blair demanded !!!!
In Blairs final season, the newly appointed heirachy concluded this has to cease as the clubs facilities were becoming so outdated it wasnt funny ...
Moving forward,, the club has gained grants , raised their own funds etc etc to assist them in improving the facilities ... give it 2 seasons and the panthers homeground will have great facilities,,, just like Broadbeach s .... these facilities will assist in attracting players without having to pay the big bucks to players .. to some degree.
May I also comment ,,, since Blairs move to coach at Aspley ,,, a wealthy club,,, success occurred in the first 2 seasons, but has dropped off ,, can you guess why !!!!!...Maybe, just maybe the same scenario ,, to much coin being paid to players ,, not to mention what Blairy is paid, ..
Made 3 straight gfs could've won 2 and a preliminary final. Yeah they have dropped off

Are you serious??
Blairs record at Aspley
2013 - Grand Final
2014 - premiers
2015 - Grand Final
2016 - Prelim Final

you are a very hard marker!!!!

Big E ,, you are not getting my drift here ... Blair is a very good coach ,, fantastic record ,, and I recognize this,,, but what I m saying ,, he had the players whom were paid good bucks both at Morningside and Aspley ,, and its comes to a time where a club has to say ,, no more big bucks to numerous players as our facilities have become so outdated its not funny... ( in Morningsides case ) Hence their change in progress for the club .
In Aspleys case ,, obviously a well funded club,, but after 4 seasons of good player payments, I feel the board are seeing the light here as well
Put it this way ... how much success would Blair have achieved if he had been coaching say a lower placed club that do not have the funds to pay lots of coin player payment wise ????

Big E ,, you are not getting my drift here ... Blair is a very good coach ,, fantastic record ,, and I recognize this,,, but what I m saying ,, he had the players whom were paid good bucks both at Morningside and Aspley ,, and its comes to a time where a club has to say ,, no more big bucks to numerous players as our facilities have become so outdated its not funny... ( in Morningsides case ) Hence their change in progress for the club .
In Aspleys case ,, obviously a well funded club,, but after 4 seasons of good player payments, I feel the board are seeing the light here as well
Put it this way ... how much success would Blair have achieved if he had been coaching say a lower placed club that do not have the funds to pay lots of coin player payment wise ????
sorry Stuyd1 don't agree. as stated above lowest finish in 4 years is a prelim.

Agree. But we at the Panthers do it, I'm not going to pretend we don't. I'm sure other clubs are guilty of it as well.

Sometimes its just a pushy parent, but other times kids get unsolicited approaches and its deplorable

At least you are honest Doddsy - dont worry I've been involved with clubs that have also done it but personally have never rang a junior player in my life to try and change clubs and hate it when others do. I like the idea that a fiend of mine once said was the way in SA (not sure but thought Adelaide) - you had to play in postcode.

The board had decided to go down a different recruiting process before he arrived.

NEAFL Have a salary cap so they are spending no more or less on players than any other club probably just managing that set money better

We're talking U16's I assume?

Plenty of movement from Coorparoo to Morningside over the summer in that age division, leaving the Roos looking pretty weak.

I guess at that age it's a bit like dominos though, once one goes others follow....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're talking U16's I assume?

Plenty of movement from Coorparoo to Morningside over the summer in that age division, leaving the Roos looking pretty weak.

I guess at that age it's a bit like dominos though, once one goes others follow....

Indeed it is but one that the AFLQ can prevent.

given you've got Lakes everywhere with their mits all over both clubs, there has to be a few conflicts of interest!

Went to Cooke Murphy today and whilst the game was scrappy in windy conditions I'd say both sides would be pretty happy with the hit out.

Labrador won by about 3 goals and always looked the stronger side in the clinches but the cats were reasonable and will be much improved this year.

How did other matches go?

Went to Cooke Murphy today and whilst the game was scrappy in windy conditions I'd say both sides would be pretty happy with the hit out.

Labrador won by about 3 goals and always looked the stronger side in the clinches but the cats were reasonable and will be much improved this year.

Palmy beat Surfers by 1 point. The point was kicked and siren went a few seconds later. Scrappy game

A very young and different looking Magpies side went down by about 6 goals to Morningside. At times it looked like Morningside had 10 extra players on the ground when working it out of their back half. When going forward Maggies found it hard to hit a target and were often kicking to 3 on 1 contests. Looks like Morningside were playing a loose man in defence while the Maggies were playing a forward up the middle of the ground, hence the difficulties. They appeared to go man on man in the last quarter which really evened things up - Maggies possibly even came out in top.
I suppose that's what practise games are for - testing structures and game plans and both sides came away learning a few lessons to take into the season.

Find it perplexing that they are waiting until after Easter to start the season

Yes agree.
In Vic they have games on Easter Weekend, some on Good Friday, which draws big crowds & are good revenue raisers for the home clubs to start off the season.
2 coast teams & 2 Brizy teams V each other & on Good Friday evening & Monday arvo.
Raimainig teams play Saturday arvo or low div leagues play Saturday arvo leaving Friday n Sunday for QAFL only.
I reckon even Carrara & or Robina/ Burleigh would get a big crowd on Easter Saturday night.
QLD league bosses lack a lot of lateral thinking to capatalise on long weekends, instead they'd rather play rep footy which costs money instead of making it.

Yes agree.
In Vic they have games on Easter Weekend, some on Good Friday, which draws big crowds & are good revenue raisers for the home clubs to start off the season.
2 coast teams & 2 Brizy teams V each other & on Good Friday evening & Monday arvo.
Raimainig teams play Saturday arvo or low div leagues play Saturday arvo leaving Friday n Sunday for QAFL only.
I reckon even Carrara & or Robina/ Burleigh would get a big crowd on Easter Saturday night.
QLD league bosses lack a lot of lateral thinking to capatalise on long weekends, instead they'd rather play rep footy which costs money instead of making it.
The QAFL is still treated like a kids league and they are worried about families going away for the holidays. Queensland footy is a joke.

Well actually I'm in Melbourne over Easter and so I went online looking for local footy to attend. Very few leagues playing.

The vast majority have competition byes.

Where talking part timers here. And if you really want your footy fix there's a neafl double header on in Brisbane

Personally I prefer the week off over Easter

Well actually I'm in Melbourne over Easter and so I went online looking for local footy to attend. Very few leagues playing.

The vast majority have competition byes.

Where talking part timers here. And if you really want your footy fix there's a neafl double header on in Brisbane

Personally I prefer the week off over Easter
Most play on good Friday. The Nepean is playing over the weekend

It should've started before Easter. Doesn't matter if they don't play on easter

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back