QAFL 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Did Noa Corbet have any impact?

Was the water boy an injured player?

Must’ve been a good last qtr, were you on spying duties for Broadbeach!

Ablett,
Corbet had no real impact .
Scott, B.Haberfield, Manning, Taylor and D.Green played well .
Dont know if the waterboy was a injured player
one strength the Vultures have is the fact they have 3 very good tall strong bodied big guys.
Broady had the bye, so I thought I wud go and watch this game .... lol... no spying !!!!

Yeah, 3rd, 4th,5th and 6th won’t be decided until 5pm next Saturday.

The elimination final is a week earlier for Surfers v Magpies , the winner could finish 3rd or 4th and get a home final.

And if Morningside win ( which they should ) they may well finish 3rd.
Surfers were good for 2 and a half quarters , but the Vultures found a way to bring it home.And must say the Vultures lost 2 of their guns in the first half , be it Neate and Green .

amazing ladder.

Reminicent of a few years back for Surfers and Sherwood, playing in a virtual elimination final while Morningside play Sandgate. If memory serves correct, Sherwood won by 1 point and Surfers thought they were done, only to disover Sandgate had knocked off the Panthers to save them

Could happen again to either team this week, extraordinary that Sherwood could finish anywhere from 2nd to 6th - and AFLQ thinks there needs to be equalisation measures?

Think it may end up like this:

PBC
Broady
Sherwood
Siders
Mounties

ONE FOR THE AGES .
Was at the Vultures vs Surfers game today .. 20 minutes into the final quarter and Vultures have closed the gap to 5 points. Green for Surfers kicks a goal, thus 11 points up , whilst the ball is being gathered from over the fence, the Vultures waterboy is having a verbal abuse session with a Surfers player ,,, the waterboy then sprays the Surfers player with the water bottle .... well, umpire blows the whistle and awards the Surfers player with a free kick from 20 metres out ... so 2 goals to Surfers in one play and now 17 points up . lol ,,, comic stuff !!!!!
Vultures come back and Stubbs takes a mark on the siren ,,, Vultures 4 points down ... Stubbs slots the goal after the siren and thay sneak home by 2 points

Was a great contest - to be honest we should have won 2-3 times over - just lacked composure even in the dying minutes we should have slowed the game down instead twice kicking into our fwd 50 where we were outnumbered. It was a long drive home. May well be season over considering Maggies recent form. However, we will keep the hope. Scott and Manning were outstanding down back - agreed Stuyd

That’d be great if the league had elite administrators smy. And the measures are only really effecting two clubs who don’t need ‘saving’.

I don't think they are trying to 'save' any club Blackdog.
Think it is common sense to limit the financial advantage of the minority, encourage smart recruiting and development.
I agree the comp is a lot closer this year but believe the standard has dropped slightly. Its a reality check for Queensland footy imo. I don't think salary cap will influence the standard going up or down say for one team being better but not competition wide.

I don't think they are trying to 'save' any club Blackdog.
Think it is common sense to limit the financial advantage of the minority, encourage smart recruiting and development.
I agree the comp is a lot closer this year but believe the standard has dropped slightly. Its a reality check for Queensland footy imo. I don't think salary cap will influence the standard going up or down say for one team being better but not competition wide.

I agree Super, I was responding to Smy suggesting it was the league trying to save the clubs.

The standard has dropped and I’m not sure these changes can have anything but a negative impact on the standard going forward. How could it possibly improve? If salary cap and points aren’t prohibitive to better standard football teams then why change anything?

The really good kids, for the most part, don’t play QAFL. They go academy, state, allies, Suns/Lions NEAFL then draft/rookied.

Now the salary cap and points have been equalized to reduce spending and encourage locals, I’m looking forward to the equalization from the Brisbane clubs having two NEAFL teams feeding into 5 QAFL clubs and the population equalisation of 2.4m into 5 clubs as opposed to 560k into 4 QAFL clubs.

I don't agree the standard has dropped, the depth in the competition has improved significantly bar Sandgate.

I have watched half a dozen reserves games this year and I'm shocked by the level this competition has risen to. Only last year most QAFL Reserves sides would have been lucky to knock over a Div 2 senior side. This year from what I've seen, the Top 4 or 6 QAFL reserves sides are better than senior sides at the lower levels outside perhaps Maroochy and Noosa. Looking at Bond and Park Ridge as the front runners in Div 2, last year they would have easily beaten nearly every QAFL Reserves team - this year they wouldn't get anywhere near any of the Top 6.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't agree the standard has dropped, the depth in the competition has improved significantly bar Sandgate.

I have watched half a dozen reserves games this year and I'm shocked by the level this competition has risen to. Only last year most QAFL Reserves sides would have been lucky to knock over a Div 2 senior side. This year from what I've seen, the Top 4 or 6 QAFL reserves sides are better than senior sides at the lower levels outside perhaps Maroochy and Noosa. Looking at Bond and Park Ridge as the front runners in Div 2, last year they would have easily beaten nearly every QAFL Reserves team - this year they wouldn't get anywhere near any of the Top 6.

Personally I think you are confusing even results with standard improving.
I know our club has improved but to be honest the games I have watched this year amongst top sides are well below some of the quality games I witnessed last year. A lot more error riddled games with plenty of congestion.
I still agree with a salary cap though as I believe that having outliers makes for an uneven competition. And despite any protests - this has been the case in the past. Whether the figure is 60k, 70k or 80k I think that is about right. Still plenty of advantage if you can spend those dollars.
And Blackdog I do want clubs to recruit and have the chance to attract players into the QAFL. I just think that these amounts are more realistic.

IMO I think it definitely does save clubs from themselves - take on your point Blackdog that only a couple of sides spend big at QAFL level but these salary restrictions ensure that clubs cant get in the mindset that they have to "compete" financially with other clubs who have a far better capacity to raise revenue. And these restrictions aren't just in place for QAFL clubs but all clubs (with a reducing amount dependent on the division) where the problems can be just as bad. It only takes 1-2 years of spending $20K more than you generate to put a club into near bankruptcy when you don't have revenue raising capacity like possibly Vic clubs in either the country or the city.
And tbh, if blokes don't want to play because they cant get $500+/game then so be it, I'm sure the code will survive.

And lets not confuse standard with the aesthetics of the game either. At AFL level the players are so much more skilled than even 10 years ago but the game itself is nowhere near as good to watch as a general rule aside form the odd game. Might be the case in the QAFL too.

Personally I think you are confusing even results with standard improving.

Not at all, I think the coaching and game plans have become more sophisticated and the players are better drilled. Labradors fall down the ladder is as much to do with injury as it is that they have a magnet mover as coach without any idea how to build a gameplan that suits his still pretty talented playing group. They still have a good midfield and the best bookends in the comp, but have won 4 games!

In terms of standard of footy and pure brutality, the best games I've seen this year were when Broady beat the Magpies in Round 2 and Morningside beat the Magpies in about Round 8. When the Panthers beat the Cats it was a pretty good standard too.

IMO I think it definitely does save clubs from themselves - take on your point Blackdog that only a couple of sides spend big at QAFL level but these salary restrictions ensure that clubs cant get in the mindset that they have to "compete" financially with other clubs who have a far better capacity to raise revenue. And these restrictions aren't just in place for QAFL clubs but all clubs (with a reducing amount dependent on the division) where the problems can be just as bad. It only takes 1-2 years of spending $20K more than you generate to put a club into near bankruptcy when you don't have revenue raising capacity like possibly Vic clubs in either the country or the city.

While I wasn't at the meeting, from what I understand from a few blokes that were - it was established that no clubs are really out in front of others when it comes to revenue, and the biggest inequality in the competition was the disparity in costs of field maintenance between Brisbane and Gold Coast clubs.

While I wasn't at the meeting, from what I understand from a few blokes that were - it was established that no clubs are really out in front of others when it comes to revenue, and the biggest inequality in the competition was the disparity in costs of field maintenance between Brisbane and Gold Coast clubs.

Yeah reckon this is a furphy tbh - I reckon that the clubs who have control of their own ground have many significant advantages over those where council run it and look after it. I think GC clubs have an advantage with interested AFL people vs number of clubs. Not spread as thin as Brisbane.

Just looked at the team selection for clubs this weekend on the aflq website .... Palm Beach appear to have regained a number of their injured players and on paper it looks like their strongest line up so far this season ,,,,,, Thus a huge challenge for the Vultures this weekend.

Yeah reckon this is a furphy tbh - I reckon that the clubs who have control of their own ground have many significant advantages over those where council run it and look after it. I think GC clubs have an advantage with interested AFL people vs number of clubs. Not spread as thin as Brisbane.

Not a furphy at all. It was a pretty detailed process undertaken by AFLQ which included all clubs giving detailed financial statements etc.

The numbers were actually worse than I anticipated, the gap in expenses is well over $50k when it comes to field maintenance - a figure that is not disputed by any clubs, including those on the GC.

My Broadbeach have lost 4 players due to injury with the main one being Mcmahon with ankle ligament injury ,,, a big loss as he is a hardnut strong bodied player . To the Cats credit over the past 3 games they have promoted not only players that have played well in the reserves but have given 3 colts players a taste of senior footy .... great stuff in showing the importance of the junior sides contributing to a clubs future .

Not a furphy at all. It was a pretty detailed process undertaken by AFLQ which included all clubs giving detailed financial statements etc.

The numbers were actually worse than I anticipated, the gap in expenses is well over $50k when it comes to field maintenance - a figure that is not disputed by any clubs, including those on the GC.

The council don’t do it for free though. I think from memory Maroochydore pay around $60k to council to have their oval maintained. Not sure it would cost over $100k for a club to look after their own ground annually? Would it?

So if the predicted rain fall of upto 5ml happens tomoz then which teams are more suited to wet footy?

I’d say Surfers would be more suited to a muddy dog fight?

Does it give Labrador more of a chance v Broadbeach whom are renown to be a skilful pretty side and don’t like getting their hands dirty?

Would Mt.Gravatt fancy themselves more or less at Palmy if the ground is chopped up?

Does it make Morniside nervous after losing to Sandgate earlier in the season?

So if the predicted rain fall of upto 5ml happens tomoz then which teams are more suited to wet footy?

I’d say Surfers would be more suited to a muddy dog fight?

Does it give Labrador more of a chance v Broadbeach whom are renown to be a skilful pretty side and don’t like getting their hands dirty?

Would Mt.Gravatt fancy themselves more or less at Palmy if the ground is chopped up?

Does it make Morniside nervous after losing to Sandgate earlier in the season?

Would have thought with it all on the line, the favourties in each game will win comfrotably regardless of weather.

Magpies by 8+ goals
Broady by 10+ goals
Morningside by 10+ goals
PBC in a tight one because the result doesn't matter to to them

Agree that the rain may even up Broady vs Labrador potentially, but would think it would help Sherwood against Surfers given their bigger bodies around the ball. Only way Surfers get anywhere near them is a nice dry day and Green gets off the chain to kick 8+. Broady and Siders will smash Labrador and Sandgate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back