QAFL 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Reality is that the cap will make it impossible to recruit anyone of good quality. Not just ex afl players. And with the cap reducing each yr until it’s around 45-50k. Makes it near impossible to keep any decent players.

Do you think neafl players who want to just have a kick go back to qafl and play for “fun”

I doubt it very highly.

Like I said before. The qafl want the league to be a delevement league for the neafl then onto afl for local kids.

Yeah see I disagree with this Tym. People move to Qld to play footy for reasons very different to $$. They do so for lifestyle as a rule of thumb so it would be far more important to have good connections in the employment sector than a big bank balance imo. Over the years there has been plenty of very very good footballers who have made their way to Qld footy and not for $$ either. Shaun Daley comes to my mind as a guy who was a top end country footballer in the O&M, he wasn't paid a much to come to Mayne in a 3rd tier comp.
Problem is there is a mind set among certain players that EVERYONE plays for $$. That is just plain BS as Morningside consistently show.

I agree with Fan - the NEAFL clubs don't do a great deal around player development - the local clubs do. All the NEAFL sides do is send out a recruiter to local leagues and pick up the best prospects.

And agree with other comments around "playing for fun".. Hell of a lot of guys do. The problem with NEAFL is that it impacts greatly on a blokes work that he has to have a very understanding boss. No one gets paid enough (except for a couple of coaches) to make footy a full time job at that level.

Yeah see I disagree with this Tym. People move to Qld to play footy for reasons very different to $$. They do so for lifestyle as a rule of thumb so it would be far more important to have good connections in the employment sector than a big bank balance imo. Over the years there has been plenty of very very good footballers who have made their way to Qld footy and not for $$ either. Shaun Daley comes to my mind as a guy who was a top end country footballer in the O&M, he wasn't paid a much to come to Mayne in a 3rd tier comp.
Problem is there is a mind set among certain players that EVERYONE plays for $$. That is just plain BS as Morningside consistently show.

I agree with Fan - the NEAFL clubs don't do a great deal around player development - the local clubs do. All the NEAFL sides do is send out a recruiter to local leagues and pick up the best prospects.
Agree on almost everything there smy other than the Daly thing.yes he wasn’t paid by mayne as a footy club but I think u might find his position as an accountant at an inner city hospital may have had some financial bonuses due to a mayne ctee man being in charge but as u said looked after on an employment level without financially stressing or crippling the club

does anyone really think Harwood is at the Magpies for less than $500-600 a game?

Thommo on here claiming they spend $30-$40k on players, what about the other 21...?

Grange reckon they offered him $1,200 a game or thereabouts, so he must be on massive $ at Sherwood.

(though to be fair, most people would take less to play somewhere other than Grange!)

Wow ,, what a Saturday ..... Surfers beat Palmy , The Grange beat Broady, Magpies belt Morningside,
Palmy and Broady will take the top 2 spots on the ladder, but the way it is going , the other 4 finals contenders are capable of making the big dance .
Great season this is .

Agreed. Surfers were impressive today. Much better side with dan green playing Think he kicked 5 or 6 in second half.

They were more disiplined and played as 22. As mentioned on here before could cause some Trouble in finals.

If only surfers disipline was translated to some of their supporters. Disgusting was some of the abuse hurled at players. Mostly from a female. When a player told her to tone it down around children her response was.... “f off c***”

Yes you will all condem palmys behaviour over the years but that was not on. I thought the supporters should have just enjoying their team having a great win. On field the game was played was good respect by the look of it

Wow ,, what a Saturday ..... Surfers beat Palmy , The Grange beat Broady, Magpies belt Morningside,
Palmy and Broady will take the top 2 spots on the ladder, but the way it is going , the other 4 finals contenders are capable of making the big dance .
Great season this is .

You still tipping Surfers not to make the 5 ?

I’m now leaning towards Mt Gravatt to miss. Given they were 6-0 it’s hard to believe they could miss. Massive game this week.

At the moment the maggies and surfers are looking the best chances to challenge palmy but a slip up and one could miss.

Mt g v surfers massive this week.

At the cattery I missed the game but the word is we were pretty bad and we better pull our finger quickly or we won’t be worrying to many in finals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ablett,,,
I had them just missing out but after beating Palmy this weekend , well they are a huge chance .... last 2 games are massive against the Vultures and Magpies.

Yeah they need to win atleast one of them, if they win both n finish 3rd the could be the big smokies but so could any top 5 sides whom hit their straps at the right time.
Good finals series shaping up unlike the 2 horse race last year.

Did Broadbeach have a few out or just one of the days?
Has McGuane been a worthy inclusion

Pretty impressive effort at the Morningside game. A streaker went to run out onto the field during the Seniors game and one of the goal umpires got in a wrestle with the streaker and stopped him from going out on the field. Give that man a medal!! (and some hand sanitiser)

Three most consistent teams have to be Palmy, Broady and Magpies. None of them have lost any games by more than a couple of kicks and been basically hunting 4 points midway through the last quarter in every single game they've played.

Surfers, Siders and Mounties have all been on the end of some hidings when the opposition is up and about, as everyone will be come finals.

Just gotta get there first, one team will be unlucky - no matter who it is. Surfers, Vultures and Siders will have to do it by winning though, as the % gap is way too big - huge advantage for the Magpies. Siders and Pies have the easiest run home though.

Three most consistent teams have to be Palmy, Broady and Magpies. None of them have lost any games by more than a couple of kicks and been basically hunting 4 points midway through the last quarter in every single game they've played.

Surfers, Siders and Mounties have all been on the end of some hidings when the opposition is up and about, as everyone will be come finals.

Just gotta get there first, one team will be unlucky - no matter who it is. Surfers, Vultures and Siders will have to do it by winning though, as the % gap is way too big - huge advantage for the Magpies. Siders and Pies have the easiest run home though.

Think all could be decided this week. Surfers v Mounties. Expect all others to win - Lab cause an upset would be nice.

No one is really jumping out at the moment - seems that its not a case of who is playing best but who is playing poorly. Been some average standard games recently amongst the top 6 too.
good to have a tight comp though.

If only surfers disipline was translated to some of their supporters. Disgusting was some of the abuse hurled at players. Mostly from a female. When a player told her to tone it down around children her response was.... “f off c***”

Yes you will all condem palmys behaviour over the years but that was not on. I thought the supporters should have just enjoying their team having a great win. On field the game was played was good respect by the look of it
Sad truth is it goes on at all levels.
Apparently footy is the place to do and say what ever you want regardless of who your affecting.

Yeah they need to win atleast one of them, if they win both n finish 3rd the could be the big smokies but so could any top 5 sides whom hit their straps at the right time.
Good finals series shaping up unlike the 2 horse race last year.

Did Broadbeach have a few out or just one of the days?
Has McGuane been a worthy inclusion

Broady had 3 regulars out ,, so a fairly strong side was fielded ,,,, they played terrible ,,, disposal was shocking resulting in numerous turnovers of the ball. Players appeared to think it was going to be a walk in the park ! There need to be some attitude changes towards commitment on game day or they will go out in straight sets.
Mcguane, only his third game , finding his feet and match fitness, has improved with each game .

Can anyone from Palm Beach confirm or deny that key forward Douglass won’t play again this season due to too many concussions?
Big loss if true.

Can anyone from Palm Beach confirm or deny that key forward Douglass won’t play again this season due to too many concussions?
Big loss if true.

I believe he is waiting for medical clearance to get the go ahead.

Think he has had a couple of head knocks this year plus a bad one last year.

Hopefully he can get back out there because he is a gun! And a shame to lose good players to the Comp due to concussions but player health long term obviously takes preference

Palmy have had a unreal injury toll to many of there top 10 players all season ,,,one week they regain 4 good players but there are 4 out due to injury from the prior weeks game ... As i have said in prior post , if they can field close to a full strength side on game day in the finals they will win the comp.
But if not, they are exposed to defeat by any of the other finals participants ,,,, such is the evenness of the comp at this moment ..
Makes for great viewing over the remainder of the season . Gotta luv it !!!!!!

ONE FOR THE AGES .
Was at the Vultures vs Surfers game today .. 20 minutes into the final quarter and Vultures have closed the gap to 5 points. Green for Surfers kicks a goal, thus 11 points up , whilst the ball is being gathered from over the fence, the Vultures waterboy is having a verbal abuse session with a Surfers player ,,, the waterboy then sprays the Surfers player with the water bottle .... well, umpire blows the whistle and awards the Surfers player with a free kick from 20 metres out ... so 2 goals to Surfers in one play and now 17 points up . lol ,,, comic stuff !!!!!
Vultures come back and Stubbs takes a mark on the siren ,,, Vultures 4 points down ... Stubbs slots the goal after the siren and thay sneak home by 2 points

ONE FOR THE AGES .
Was at the Vultures vs Surfers game today .. 20 minutes into the final quarter and Vultures have closed the gap to 5 points. Green for Surfers kicks a goal, thus 11 points up , whilst the ball is being gathered from over the fence, the Vultures waterboy is having a verbal abuse session with a Surfers player ,,, the waterboy then sprays the Surfers player with the water bottle .... well, umpire blows the whistle and awards the Surfers player with a free kick from 20 metres out ... so 2 goals to Surfers in one play and now 17 points up . lol ,,, comic stuff !!!!!
Vultures come back and Stubbs takes a mark on the siren ,,, Vultures 4 points down ... Stubbs slots the goal after the siren and thay sneak home by 2 points
And secure a finals berth. Does the water boy get the ass?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back