QAFL 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Good idea imo. Protects clubs from themselves - if clubs are spending more than $70K then they aren't getting bang for buck anyway relative to standard of footy and number of people paying to come through gate. Wont drop standard bc where are guys going to play if they want to play??

Good idea imo. Protects clubs from themselves - if clubs are spending more than $70K then they aren't getting bang for buck anyway relative to standard of footy and number of people paying to come through gate. Wont drop standard bc where are guys going to play if they want to play??

For example If someone is getting around 4-600+ but now the club can only give them around 150 or work on Saturday’s.
or go to vic minor leagues and get even more.

Also the cap will reduce what clubs can recruit in terms of standard of footballer Thus drop in standard of footy.

There is also a drop in points allowed as well.

This is all to produce local kids to feed the neafl.

Pretty sure Labrador aren't this year!!

hear what you are saying but seriously, if anyone is getting $600 to play footy in the QAFL it is more a reflection on what is wrong with footy than what is needed to change.
Think the standard will look after itself and very few blokes will head to greener pastures tbh. If it stops clubs from trying to outbid each other for a particular player(s) I'm all for it. Attract players to play footy here for various other reasons - like lifestyle.

I’ve always thought there should be a maximum senior match payment of say $200 and it increases by $50 for every 50games you play at the same club to reward loyalty.
So once you’ve reached 200games your on $400 a game and deservedly so.
Each club can pay one player a larger amount for a playing assistant coach but has to of played at a higher standard for a certain amount of games, because you still want to attract ex Afl/ NeAFL/ SAFL etc players to QAFL.

Lower division clubs should all be amateur , no paid players at all, to encourage young players to play the highest standard possible and not be lured to clubs because of the $$$$ which cheats them of reaching their full potential anyway.
This also helps lower divy clubs survive financially as many clubs in the past have bought success and paid for it dearly soon after.

I’ve always thought there should be a maximum senior match payment of say $200 and it increases by $50 for every 50games you play at the same club to reward loyalty.
So once you’ve reached 200games your on $400 a game and deservedly so.
Each club can pay one player a larger amount for a playing assistant coach but has to of played at a higher standard for a certain amount of games, because you still want to attract ex Afl/ NeAFL/ SAFL etc players to QAFL.

Lower division clubs should all be amateur , no paid players at all, to encourage young players to play the highest standard possible and not be lured to clubs because of the $$$$ which cheats them of reaching their full potential anyway.
This also helps lower divy clubs survive financially as many clubs in the past have bought success and paid for it dearly soon after.

Something like that could potentially work for some clubs up here in qld. Because finding sponsors and supporters seems to be a lot more difficult then down south where people live a breath footy.

you can't put a handbrake on lower division club progression though.

If a club has a really strong junior program that continually leaves for higher honours or match payments, perhaps that club deserves to move up the ranks as a club instead of having their players raided every year.

Sure, some lower level clubs are just throwing coin at blokes from all over town and other clubs (cough..Pirates), but others have developed really good groups of kids and deserve to progress if they can (Beenleigh, Mayne, Wynnum etc)

Also need to stop clubs pinching players at 12 years old.

you can't put a handbrake on lower division club progression though.

If a club has a really strong junior program that continually leaves for higher honours or match payments, perhaps that club deserves to move up the ranks as a club instead of having their players raided every year.

Sure, some lower level clubs are just throwing coin at blokes from all over town and other clubs (cough..Pirates), but others have developed really good groups of kids and deserve to progress if they can (Beenleigh, Mayne, Wynnum etc)

Also need to stop clubs pinching players at 12 years old.

Once again Fan you way off mark. We have 28 players on our list that went to Park Ridge School.

Our seniors side tomorrow has 4 players under age of 18 that came through our juniors. And it also has 15 players that played with us last year.

On top of that our Development side has 4 new players to AFL code plus 15 players that have come through our junior ranks.

So if you going to make half baked comments please ensure you have your facts right.

Most clubs in any division would have 7-8 new players to their club most years unless they are ahead of pack and have solid list. But if you trying to improve I think that is a bare minimum.

I'll call it now. Mt Gravatt won't win another game and will be squeezed out of the 5 on %. Tipping both Surfers and the Magpies to go down this week which will set things up for a great final round with Magpies to beat Surfers and squeeze the Vultures out on percentage.
Been mentioned on here before that % is a good indicator of where a team is really at and that the Vultures got some luck early on against sides missing key personnel etc.

On another note, I can't help but mention the appalling behaviour of the crowd at Labrador yesterday. Nothing changes year to year, indicating that this must be ingrained in the culture at that club. The drunks on the hill and next to the scoreboard, when not publically urinating, spend the whole game screaming abuse, swearing and threatening opposition players. I'm pretty thick skinned and can give out my fair share, but the line always seems to be crossed at Labrador - constant personal abuse dished out to blokes out there having a go is pretty poor.... and they have the hide to charge you to come and watch the game.

What’s that going to achieve besides a drop in the standard of footy???

Not everyone can finish on top.
If we are trying to even up the comp.
and there will always be shit teams.
It’s just fact.

No not everyone can finish on top - you are right
History says only the big spenders can!! Therefore an attempt to even things up is required.
95% of the time at lower levels - money equals results. That is a fact.

Don't think it will drop the standard at all. The QAFL is an in between comp that attracts a big variance in talent. The ex AFL/NEAFL guys unless supremely motivated drop off quickly. Only have to look at the body types of these players as they drop down a few levels. Out to pasture.

Teams have always cheated salary caps and I wouldn't imagine that they will be caught giving out paper bags either.
Understand the transient nature of AFL in QLD but if we do not have so many Vic recruits and play more QLD kids then long term that can't be a bad thing even if there is a perceived standard drop for 1-2 years.

How many QLD kids are on NEAFL lists at Sharks, Aspley and Redland? Would think less than half their lists.
Not sure what the point of that is.

Anyway - We need a win this week otherwise could be also rans!!

No not everyone can finish on top - you are right
History says only the big spenders can!! Therefore an attempt to even things up is required.
95% of the time at lower levels - money equals results. That is a fact.

Don't think it will drop the standard at all. The QAFL is an in between comp that attracts a big variance in talent. The ex AFL/NEAFL guys unless supremely motivated drop off quickly. Only have to look at the body types of these players as they drop down a few levels. Out to pasture.

Teams have always cheated salary caps and I wouldn't imagine that they will be caught giving out paper bags either.
Understand the transient nature of AFL in QLD but if we do not have so many Vic recruits and play more QLD kids then long term that can't be a bad thing even if there is a perceived standard drop for 1-2 years.

How many QLD kids are on NEAFL lists at Sharks, Aspley and Redland? Would think less than half their lists.
Not sure what the point of that is.

Anyway - We need a win this week otherwise could be also rans!!

Everyone will have an opinion depending on your club bias and I’d imagine there is only 1, maybe 2 clubs that will be effected, so of course your club and similar spending clubs will celebrate the mooted move by headquarters.

In my opinion it is an embarrassment that our state league is going to have a salary cap so low. It would be in line with division 4/5 of suburban Melbourne leagues....

Every comp has clubs that have more money than others but those clubs can and have changed over time. Take Labrador for an example, did it very tough for a very long time, then finally start seeing some success off and on field and headquarters bring in a rule effectively taking away their advantage and bringing them back to the field (at the end of a season that they’ll finish near the bottom...‍♂️).

It has been said on here before but Labrador have one of the biggest clubs in Australia 2kms away and where the Sharks have 5 and 6 teams in some junior age groups, Labrador have struggled to field 1.

The level will drop off no doubt. It is called an equalisation policy and nothing has been proposed to help the lower spending clubs, just to clip the higher spending club/s.

Anyway, it will only be in for a few years before another change no doubt. New people at AFLQ and a new agenda, perhaps welcoming Aspley, Redlands and Southport into a ‘state’ league with a $70k salary cap.....haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Update from this post ;
still think it will be the same.
PBC; 60
BROADY; 48
PANTHERS; 44
VULTURES; 40
MAGPIES; 36

Agree except replace Magpies with Demons whom play each other to finish 5th which I’m tipping Surfers to,win at home and win one or two finals.

Everyone will have an opinion depending on your club bias and I’d imagine there is only 1, maybe 2 clubs that will be effected, so of course your club and similar spending clubs will celebrate the mooted move by headquarters.

In my opinion it is an embarrassment that our state league is going to have a salary cap so low. It would be in line with division 4/5 of suburban Melbourne leagues....

Every comp has clubs that have more money than others but those clubs can and have changed over time. Take Labrador for an example, did it very tough for a very long time, then finally start seeing some success off and on field and headquarters bring in a rule effectively taking away their advantage and bringing them back to the field (at the end of a season that they’ll finish near the bottom...‍♂️).

It has been said on here before but Labrador have one of the biggest clubs in Australia 2kms away and where the Sharks have 5 and 6 teams in some junior age groups, Labrador have struggled to field 1.

The level will drop off no doubt. It is called an equalisation policy and nothing has been proposed to help the lower spending clubs, just to clip the higher spending club/s.

Anyway, it will only be in for a few years before another change no doubt. New people at AFLQ and a new agenda, perhaps welcoming Aspley, Redlands and Southport into a ‘state’ league with a $70k salary cap.....haha

Look no doubt everyone has an opinion mine is that don’t see a massive drop in standard with a 70k salary cap as I reckon there’s only 2 clubs that it affects. And I doubt those 2 are that far over anyway. Players will accept modest pay cuts to maintain success, where are they going to go as an alternative?

Frankly if you are paying much more than 70k to be towards the bottom of the ladder you would have to wonder why.

And your point about the sharks dominating juniors no doubt hurts yours, however very few of these play NEAFL so that should be a massive recruiting ground for you. With the Helensvale SHS footy program not far away geographically and the fastest growing area in QLD (Coomera/Pimpama) to also draw on Labrador have a massive opportunity to grab plenty of local talent, pay them peanuts and use the rest of the 70k strategically recruiting. Opportunity still for Labrador to be powerhouse.

If you pay the 70k it’s more than most anyway. Totally agree it’s in place to help ease the re-entry of the NEAFL clubs should it happen.

I believe perhaps controversially that there should also be a minimum salary cap to ensure competitiveness. Around 30k would be appropriate. Sandgate may not make it.

Look no doubt everyone has an opinion mine is that don’t see a massive drop in standard with a 70k salary cap as I reckon there’s only 2 clubs that it affects. And I doubt those 2 are that far over anyway. Players will accept modest pay cuts to maintain success, where are they going to go as an alternative?

Frankly if you are paying much more than 70k to be towards the bottom of the ladder you would have to wonder why.

And your point about the sharks dominating juniors no doubt hurts yours, however very few of these play NEAFL so that should be a massive recruiting ground for you. With the Helensvale SHS footy program not far away geographically and the fastest growing area in QLD (Coomera/Pimpama) to also draw on Labrador have a massive opportunity to grab plenty of local talent, pay them peanuts and use the rest of the 70k strategically recruiting. Opportunity still for Labrador to be powerhouse.

If you pay the 70k it’s more than most anyway. Totally agree it’s in place to help ease the re-entry of the NEAFL clubs should it happen.

I believe perhaps controversially that there should also be a minimum salary cap to ensure competitiveness. Around 30k would be appropriate. Sandgate may not make it.

I would add to this that no clubs can pay players until their facilities are upto to standard.
Every ground should have an electronic scoreboard, raised coaches boxes should be safe etc...

Different Comp but it’s appauling with all the money Southport have yet you need binoculars to see the score!

Think we all overstate how "green the grass" is in Vic - clubs going out of business like nobodys business, merging, combining with netball clubs. Lets not use this state as a model to follow re paying $$ to players. Bottom line is AFL footy works in a false economy and if you want to compare what they pay in Vic to here well you are just plain mad. 3000 people paying $10 to get thru the gate in a lot of leagues vs 100 people getting in for nothing shows there is no comparison in the revenue. If you want to get paid $1000/game then don't play in Qld. Too bad if it affects the standard, far better that then having clubs go out of business imo.

Think we all overstate how "green the grass" is in Vic - clubs going out of business like nobodys business, merging, combining with netball clubs. Lets not use this state as a model to follow re paying $$ to players. Bottom line is AFL footy works in a false economy and if you want to compare what they pay in Vic to here well you are just plain mad. 3000 people paying $10 to get thru the gate in a lot of leagues vs 100 people getting in for nothing shows there is no comparison in the revenue. If you want to get paid $1000/game then don't play in Qld. Too bad if it affects the standard, far better that then having clubs go out of business imo.
spot on

Clubs must realise that if they all stopped paying players they would still play, Nth Qld footy is proof of that, they just may not travel as far.

Certain clubs also realise that by spending more they get better results.
A salary Cap is only in place to put restrictions on what a club can spend. I understand Blackdog and Labradors points - AFLQ historically change the goalposts every few years it is a very average way of governing. No long term strategy. Sharks have always paid little respect to a salary cap and maybe Lab and palmy will find ways around it as well.
I just think its common sense not a conspiracy to block clubs success. The big winners will be Broady who will spend around 70-80k this year so won't have to change much.
If Labrador didn't have so many injuries I'd think they would be over 70k as well as they were in the past.
And if Palmy can't pick up Anthony, Grayson, and a few of the other ex neafl guys then is that a bad thing?
Think they would still be very strong.

If the cap was this year we would be under at the cattery. Including coaches too. But agree the cap is a nice level for us.

I’m supportive of it but if what the paper says is true that lab would have to delist players to retain retzlaff (based on points) then that’s obviously not what we want.

Apparently ex afl will attract a very high loading on points. Perhaps retzlaff could be discounted due to his years of service. Ex AFL players are overall good for the comp so we don’t want to make it impossible for them to play.

And as I said before lab should see the strength of sharks juniors as an opportunity not a weakness and the fact that sharks salary cap is high is irrelevant as it is obviously a higher comp. The best players in QLD should play NEAFL and get paid the most IMO

Every comp has clubs that have more money than others but those clubs can and have changed over time.

Some clubs have more money because their overheads are lower purely due to geography. Not a cooincidence that 2 big spending clubs don't have to cough up $50k per annum to do their best to maintain their field. We know our field has been poor for a few seasons, and while its not in great shape now - its the best its been this time of year in a decade.

300+ juniors and 4 senior sides sharing 1 oval, we could have the Augusta maintenance crew and it wouldn't be much better than it is.

If the cap was this year we would be under at the cattery. Including coaches too. But agree the cap is a nice level for us.

I’m supportive of it but if what the paper says is true that lab would have to delist players to retain retzlaff (based on points) then that’s obviously not what we want.

Apparently ex afl will attract a very high loading on points. Perhaps retzlaff could be discounted due to his years of service. Ex AFL players are overall good for the comp so we don’t want to make it impossible for them to play.

And as I said before lab should see the strength of sharks juniors as an opportunity not a weakness and the fact that sharks salary cap is high is irrelevant as it is obviously a higher comp. The best players in QLD should play NEAFL and get paid the most IMO

Reality is that the cap will make it impossible to recruit anyone of good quality. Not just ex afl players. And with the cap reducing each yr until it’s around 45-50k. Makes it near impossible to keep any decent players.

Do you think neafl players who want to just have a kick go back to qafl and play for “fun”

I doubt it very highly.

Like I said before. The qafl want the league to be a delevement league for the neafl then onto afl for local kids.

Do you think neafl players who want to just have a kick go back to qafl and play for “fun”

I doubt it very highly.

The ones returning to their local club probably do.

Reality is that NEAFL lists in QLD at the moment are 50% interstate recruits, then the rest of them are juniors from Aspley, Maroochydoore, Morningside, Sherwood and Broady/Southport. Those clubs are doing the heavy lifting when it comes to developing talent.

Having said that, those clubs are all pinching players at 15 from other clubs - just look at QAFL/Morningside claiming Mt Gravatt Junior Lee Spurr as a Panther on social media this week...

Yes I do think that their motivation is to drop down a few levels and lessen the load. Invariably this leads to lower standards and within a short period of time they are not as sharp/dominant/fit etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back