QAFL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

To my knowledge Academy players are chosen from the state u12s school carnival and named in the academy later that year. As far as im aware, clubs have nothing to do with it at that stage. Kids get another chance at u14s state carnival, and again u15s (now its u14s) school carnival. I have no doubt AFLQ staff and Lions academy are advised by clubs of kids who develop as juniors who are initially left out.

I dont think its fair to say kids in the academy think they are world beaters. I think there would be some pride in being recognised, but you get that with anything you do well in life and are recognised for.

While kids develop at different ages, some traits can be identified early. Correct (good) skills set, competitiveness, on/off field temperament and attitude, and wow/xfactor. Size at that age is indeterminate.

School teachers choose the rep kids at u12s level, and personally i feel that is the weak link in the Academy chain. As more schools have academy programs, they have more influence in state/rep team selections than non academy schools. Trust not school teachers.

I think many at club land incl senior coaches would say this is indeed the case among many - those who dont it actually becomes a refreshing change. Pedastals arent made for kids imo. Doing well as a school age athlete is nice - but it means diddly squat really

Well, 'in my experience' it is NOT the case that academy kids are big headed around team mates. You are generalising about the character of a group of kids. Id suggest you don't do that with any group of people..

Mate. That is NOT 100% Clubs DONT 'send kids to the academy'. FFS...

It was 100% to the whole comment - clubs actually do recommend kids at U12 level in many instances combined with the 12's carnival (of which many kids dont attend for varying reasons)- and the academy people do decide based on that recommendation alot of the time. Different academies have different philosophies - swans for instance throw a wide net. They will take nearly anyone at an early age working on the premise that it is near impossible to predict a kids end ability at that age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any Lions Academy kid from our club has paid to attend a trial along with other kids who can afford and be bothered to pay to attend a trial. Their decision to try for an academy spot is usually also dependent on whether they are able to make it to Yeronga or wherever for the training. Once there they spend their whole time acting as warm body training partners for the 2 kids who have actually been identified and have some theoretical chance of getting drafted. Complete waste of time and money

The Clubs may nominate their rated or favorite players, but the Academy staff and their volunteers know the kids that can and cant play in their opinions for the Academy level!!! This personal are watching all School and Club Footy from under 11’s and sometime earlier!!! I agree with 21 George that most are used as training partners for those that are anointed for greater things!!! There have been standout junior players that make the Academy sides and then get overlooked in the draft IMO just because your invited does not mean you are special!!!
Lachie Keefe and Clay Beams were the greatest examples of non Academy type of attendance!!! Both got Rookied and then elevated to Senior lists with keeping their heads down and playing club or school footy and obviously standing out, or being known or noticed by someone from their eventual invitational club. The problem is for most kids, if you don’t join the Academy structure it is easy to be overlooked and therefore passed over, even when some kids are guns they too get passed over such as Dane Zorko who finally pushed the clubs to have him drafted!!! I still scratch my head why Matt Paine never got the opportunity as this player won club and Comp best and fairest than most all other players!!!!!
I sometimes think it doesn’t matter what a kid is it is who a kid is to make it to the big dance!!!!

Any Lions Academy kid from our club has paid to attend a trial along with other kids who can afford and be bothered to pay to attend a trial. Their decision to try for an academy spot is usually also dependent on whether they are able to make it to Yeronga or wherever for the training. Once there they spend their whole time acting as warm body training partners for the 2 kids who have actually been identified and have some theoretical chance of getting drafted. Complete waste of time and money
I figured that was the case for most kids.

Smy, not sure where you heard that about Grange's points cap for the Maroochydore game, but that's crap - didn't happen.

Anyone who looks at the QAFL website will be able to easily work out a few things, namely Grange have done a lot less "NEAFL recruting" for this season than any other club bar Maroochydore, we are still being charged 4 points for older, ex-NEAFL guys who are in their third year at the club as well as 4 points for a couple who only landed at Grange after Sandgate disbanded and in both rounds so far we've played 6 boys turning 17 or 18 in the senior team.

Grange's points for the first two rounds have been 55 and 53, so well under the extended 59 point cap anyway, whereas Morningside's team on Saturday came in at 51 points despite them only having to pay 1 point for the likes of Hammelmann and Rolls.

Grange are definitely on an upwards trajectory on and off the field, and Sandgate's departure should make a difference in the longer term, but we're coming from a long way back in terms of both the senior team's results over the past 4 years and our juniors.

Any suggestion that Grange is a junior powerhouse is largely mythical in that our junior teams have only become strong over the past 3 years or so, the quality is just starting to feed through now but in the short term we simply don't have a heap of quality 1 pointers in the senior ranks which other Brisbane clubs like Morningside or Sherwood do. That's a great asset for them and exactly what we're trying to (and believe we will eventually) emulate.
Still think grange are going upwards on the field??

Broadbeach dominated Labrador today ,,lucky it was so wet as it would of been a much larger margin, We had 6 changes from last weeks side due to injury as well ,, And this Moncrieff is a gun

Thoroughly outplayed today by a much better and bigger team, a few reasons for that but no excuses.

To answer your question though: yes, but as always, time will tell

You guys will be fine in the long run. Seems like things are in place for a good future. Always a good amount of respect between our clubs.

The reserved and colts games today were some of the wettest conditions I’ve seen at Salk oval. Cleared up dramatically for the senior game

Thoroughly outplayed today by a much better and bigger team, a few reasons for that but no excuses.

To answer your question though: yes, but as always, time will tell

10 points in 4 qtrs seems a bit worrying. Realise it’s a tough road trip

Remove this Banner Ad

Back