QAFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Great to see some 2000 at the game this weekend , thats a big crowd for a homa and away game , yet one must allow for a lot of interstate visitors up here for easter etc etc..
Good to see the Grange grab a win and good to see Noosa got so close to a win. Its only the first game of the season with a long way to go !

Look at the full opening round this coming weekend ,Wow what a cracker,
1; Broady vs Labrador
2; Palmy vs Panthers
3; Redlands vs Surfers
4; Sherwood vs Vultures
5; Grange vs Maroochydore

Will Labrador live upto their preseason hype?

Will Panthers now be called Morningslide?

Will Redlands kick the highest winning margin?

Will the the result of 4. Matter at all?

Will Grange be the QAFL’s version of Sydney Swans or Noosa ain’t much and the Roos pull their pants down and give them a reality check?

Will Labrador live upto their preseason hype?

Will Panthers now be called Morningslide?

Will Redlands kick the highest winning margin?

Will the the result of 4. Matter at all?

Will Grange be the QAFL’s version of Sydney Swans or Noosa ain’t much and the Roos pull their pants down and give them a reality check?

Ablett,
yers good questions here . Come on fellow posters throw your thoughts in .

i take your point.

Sure, Grange have been pursuing a youth policy with a view to the future, but we’re definitely not playing kids over older guys in the 2’s who would give us a better chance of winning right now.

thats superb and sounds like Grange are heading in the right direction. Only 18 months ago you personally told me kids in the Colts were turning down Senior selection, so this newfound focus on players good enough to be playing Seniors playing in the seniors is fantastic and has already delievered a round 1 result.

I dont think anyone suggests promoting young fellas undeservedly. However trial matches are exactly for that; Trialling players at another level to see how they go. Grange and Labrador both have done so exceptionally well, and as a result know more about their list. Im not aware of how many new faces and youth other clubs like Sherwood, Mt Gravatt had a look at? One club promoted just the one kid to look at. A 17yo they believe may get drafted. Thats not trialling the unknown quantities on your list, thats focussing on a pet project.

I wouldn't have the faintest idea who other clubs are blooding in their seniors in practice games. I know we played a heap of kids, but we just selected teams based on fitness and availability and of course to get a look at a few youngsters.

I was just generally being a smart arse with my 12-30 comment, because while I don't have a clue how old most blokes are I couldn't see any 16 or 17 year olds in the Grange lineup on Saturday, I'm likely mistaken, but none immediately sprang to mind.

I dont think anyone suggests promoting young fellas undeservedly. However trial matches are exactly for that; Trialling players at another level to see how they go. Grange and Labrador both have done so exceptionally well, and as a result know more about their list. Im not aware of how many new faces and youth other clubs like Sherwood, Mt Gravatt had a look at? One club promoted just the one kid to look at. A 17yo they believe may get drafted. Thats not trialling the unknown quantities on your list, thats focussing on a pet project.

Only problem with that logic billy is there has to be a bloke who is over 20 miss out on the opportunity to show his improvement. It’s a long year this year not some lightning premiership like last year, guys will get their opportunity if they are good enough.

There has a been a lot of hype about Labrador and its recruiting coups and becoming top 2 or 3 for the season over the past 2 or 3 seasons but it has not resulted in the forecast results. So I have just looked thru their recruits this season and it appears to me there is only one recruit that is half a gun and thats a player by the name of Tom Meagher. Ofd the other recruits presented on their website I do not see them as being gun players at QAFL level. And yes they have got Retzalff and Goldsmith back but they are past their prime here ,, still good players though .
The most hype going on about Labrador is the coaching appointments be it they are ex AFL players etc .
Thats a positive and good for the Tigers but one still needs the cattle hey and I do not see Labrador as having the cattle so to speak to win the comp , yet they should make the top 4 or 5 ..

There has a been a lot of hype about Labrador and its recruiting coups and becoming top 2 or 3 for the season over the past 2 or 3 seasons but it has not resulted in the forecast results. So I have just looked thru their recruits this season and it appears to me there is only one recruit that is half a gun and thats a player by the name of Tom Meagher. Ofd the other recruits presented on their website I do not see them as being gun players at QAFL level. And yes they have got Retzalff and Goldsmith back but they are past their prime here ,, still good players though .
The most hype going on about Labrador is the coaching appointments be it they are ex AFL players etc .
Thats a positive and good for the Tigers but one still needs the cattle hey and I do not see Labrador as having the cattle so to speak to win the comp , yet they should make the top 4 or 5 ..

just my thoughts and I may well be very wrong , No probs with that

There has a been a lot of hype about Labrador and its recruiting coups and becoming top 2 or 3 for the season over the past 2 or 3 seasons but it has not resulted in the forecast results. So I have just looked thru their recruits this season and it appears to me there is only one recruit that is half a gun and thats a player by the name of Tom Meagher. Ofd the other recruits presented on their website I do not see them as being gun players at QAFL level.

I dunno mate, I reckon Pearce Hanley will go pretty well at this level...?

thats superb and sounds like Grange are heading in the right direction. Only 18 months ago you personally told me kids in the Colts were turning down Senior selection, so this newfound focus on players good enough to be playing Seniors playing in the seniors is fantastic and has already delievered a round 1 result.

Two things about your post.

Firstly, I told you in season 2019 that one kid, 17 at the time, turned down a senior game and why, I didn't say that it happened regularly.

Secondly, as for any "newfound" focus on youth, Grange's senior team last year was actually younger most weeks than yesterday's team because we're basically talking about the same group who are now a year older with some senior footy under their belts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two things about your post.

Firstly, I told you in season 2019 that one kid, 17 at the time, turned down a senior game and why, I didn't say that it happened regularly.

Secondly, as for any "newfound" focus on youth, Grange's senior team last year was actually younger most weeks than yesterday's team because we're basically talking about the same group who are now a year older with some senior footy under their belts.

are Grange (or anyone for that matter) focused on youth? Surely everyone picks their best available 22 available to the each week, if they are all 25, then so be it, if they are all 20, thats fine too.

Not a huge difference between a 22 year old and a 19 year old is there really? They both have 100+ senior games ahead of them if good enough, and their future teammates are likely sprinkled through the u12s up to Colts.

If I had to guess, I would reckon we might have 8-10 players next week aged around 19-20, pretty much all bar maybe 1 will be legally allowed to drink and likely only 1 or 2 Colts qualified, but I've never looked at their birth certificate when putting the team sheet in, but I do feel old when more than half the team was born after I finished school.

Thommo raised some great points over in the 'academy watch' section in the Lions forum. I hope he gets some insights from Lions, though i doubt they will answer on social media. Don't see why they couldn't though. Ive no doubt they read the forum.

The main points he raises is kids dropping out of the game (QAFL) after missing the draft, and the role clubs play in developing kids.

Thommo raised some great points over in the 'academy watch' section in the Lions forum. I hope he gets some insights from Lions, though i doubt they will answer on social media. Don't see why they couldn't though. Ive no doubt they read the forum.

The main points he raises is kids dropping out of the game (QAFL) after missing the draft, and the role clubs play in developing kids.
The Academy can start by showing people like Thommo some respect along with all the QAFL coaches who are all strong football people (refer to the AFLQ article done in past week) and most have past links and history with the Academy or higher football programs.
The 20+ aged players in QAFL lists were either identified in the past same age groups you are currently advocating for, or even better, weren't and have worked hard to pass the previously preferred, and potentially more naturally talented players in their age groups. Are both sets of those players now to step aside for your preference age group? Then in 2-3 years are those in the current age you espousing now to step aside when aged say 22 when they have actually proven their worth to a QAFL club on a consistent basis?
How many of the age group you espouse flip burgers or sell meat trays on game day or go to the youth training beneath them and assist kids that aren't in the Academy?
There is so much more to a QAFL club than talent alone.
Its a 2 way street Billyboy and when your mates in the Academy accept and work with that we'll have a much better local footy code

Last edited:
The Academy can start by showing people like Thommo some respect along with all the QAFL coaches who are all strong football people (refer to the AFLQ article done in past week) and most have past links and history with the Academy or higher football programs.
The 20+ aged players in QAFL lists were either identified in the past same age groups you are currently advocating for, or even better, weren't and have worked hard to pass the previously preferred, and potentially more naturally talented players in their age groups. Are both sets of those players now to step aside for your preference age group? Then in 2-3 years are those in the current age you espousing now to step aside when aged say 22 when they have actually proven their worth to a QAFL club on a consistent basis?
How many of the age group you espouse flip burgers or sell meat trays on game day or go to the youth training beneath them and assist kids that aren't in the Academy?
Its a 2 way street Billyboy and when your mates in the Academy accept and work with that we'll have a much better local footy code
Agree lagging

in fact I think the best thing a club can do for an Academy kid is NOT gift them games based on purely a lions/Suns singlet being worn. There is not a lot of evidence that being in the Academy makes u a much better footballer just yet. Guys like Cumberland, Andrews, fullarton, Payne, all had spasmodic connection to the Academy yet made it through to the pointy end. Hipwood had a bit more but he also stayed connected with Caloundra footy club in 17th year. As did Cumberland and Andrews

the development kids can get under ANY of the club coaches at QAFL level and I would argue most at Div 1 level is immense. The standard of players is no worse than the player 15-30 in an academy group and training is organised. In fact academy coaches would be best positioned to just request to club coaches what improvement area X player could make.
the academy could take over a month out from a carnival. That’s all that’s needed imo.

I think club footy is more about getting the mojo back of the kid not drafted and keeping him/her in the code not pandering to an academy player who is ranked player 10-30 in their squad.

*1. The 20+ aged players in QAFL lists were either identified in the past same age groups you are currently advocating for, or even better, weren't and have worked hard to pass the previously preferred, and potentially more naturally talented players in their age groups. Are both sets of those players now to step aside for your preference age group?
Then in 2-3 years are those in the current age you espousing now to step aside when aged say 22 when they have actually proven their worth to a QAFL club on a consistent basis?
*3 How many of the age group you espouse flip burgers or sell meat trays on game day or go to the youth training beneath them and assist kids that aren't in the Academy?

*4. Its a 2 way street Billyboy and when your mates in the Academy accept and work with that we'll have a much better local footy code

1. The academy is 11yo. There is a problem with kids missing the draft and dropping out of footy in those 11 years. No dispute. No one is suggesting established players get sacrificed in favour of kids. What this has been about is trial matches are an opportunity of playing those (Colt aged kids identified by the academy) with the main group to 1, see how they go. 2. To introduce them to 'senior culture' which is so much different from Juniors. Perhaps senior players bond with the boys and develop mentor roles. Thereby making them aware that it isnt the end of footy if one isnt drafted, and increase the likelyhood of them being content with playing QAFL rather than being lost to the game.

2, Refer to *1.

3. I have no idea how many colts flip burgers. Usually done by people that can actually cook.:D. How many seniors full stop have you ever seen helping out at junior level. Cant say ive ever seen one. Great idea though.

4. With due respect, that makes no sense.

A coach can pick his 'best' 18, have a look at another 4 seniors and still put 3-4 colts on the bench in trial matches. Reserve grade can do the same, or just run a couple in 1st and the rest through reserves like Labrador did? But introducing these kids to senior footy, mix with the men, become part of the culture, and get some experience on field as well, should be a coach priority. I dont understand why a coach wouldnt do that? Perhaps doing that is unusual? Perhaps thats part of the problem?

Perhaps is some clubs that are too elitist in their promotion of Colts to senior footy, and fail to see that it is inclusion that will keep those boys around when the AFL dream is over?

Last edited:
1. The academy is 11yo. There is a problem with kids missing the draft and dropping out of footy in those 11 years. No dispute. No one is suggesting established players get sacrificed in favour of kids. What this has been about is trial matches are an opportunity of playing those (Colt aged kids identified by the academy) with the main group to 1, see how they go. 2. To introduce them to 'senior culture' which is so much different from Juniors. Perhaps senior players bond with the boys and develop mentor roles. Thereby making them aware that it isnt the end of footy if one isnt drafted, and increase the likelyhood of them being content with playing QAFL rather than being lost to the game.

2, Refer to *1.

3. I have no idea how many colts flip burgers. Usually done by people that can actually cook.:D. How many seniors full stop have you ever seen helping out at junior level. Cant say ive ever seen one. Great idea though.

4. With due respect, that makes no sense.

A coach can pick his 'best' 18, have a look at another 4 seniors and still put 3-4 colts on the bench in trial matches. Reserve grade can do the same, or just run a couple in 1st and the rest through reserves like Labrador did? But introducing these kids to senior footy, mix with the men, become part of the culture, and get some experience on field as well, should be a coach priority. I dont understand why a coach wouldnt do that? Perhaps doing that is unusual? Perhaps thats part of the problem?

Perhaps is some clubs that are too elitist in their promotion of Colts to senior footy, and fail to see that it is inclusion that will keep those boys around when the AFL dream is over?
Billy, gee, you're a little sensitive to criticism of the Academy. You don't happen to be connected by any chance?

Billy, gee, you're a little sensitive to criticism of the Academy. You don't happen to be connected by any chance?
Haha, no mate. Its just my opinion of what we are discussing. Not right, or wrong, just opinion. I have issues with some aspects of the academy dont worry.

sounds like you feel your academy kid should have got a pre-season hitout in the Seniors and didn't?

What you don't understand is that the academy is not a measure of talent or a way to earn a senior game. We've had academy kids unable to earn a spot in our Colts side, let alone our Senior side. At the same time, we've had 16 and 17 year olds make senior debuts without ever having been in the academy.

Perhaps that is part of the problem? If thats what you are seeing wherever it is you are, then I feel for you. Our senior boys have been running our Auskick for the last 3 weeks alongside plenty of our senior womens players and quite a few of our youth players as well, plenty of them attend junior and youth training and its an integral part of developing them as players and people.

Hardly a new or original idea and I imagine its the same at most clubs.

Of course they can, I'm sure most of them did.

I don't think anyone is elitist, but they certainly wouldn't be pushing academy kids over non academy kids. We ran 6-10 Colts through Seniors/Reserves in our pre-season games, but only 3 or 4 of them are in the academy, the others are just good players who earnt their spots and are way better than most of the kids in the academy anyway.
[/QUOTE]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back