QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 potential upsets this week.

Aspley v Redlands. Old foes, Redland having slipped. Can they spring an upset at home against a complacent Aspley?

Surfers v PBC. Surfers recruited well and have played well mostly. Are PBC overachieving? Surfers at home will be motivated to upset Palmy..

Broady v Morningside. Siders chugging along. Broady playing well below their potential. One good game by BB could ambush Panthers expecting an easy win..

Interested by what you mean of overachieving

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I saw a lot of City Oval Coburg in the early 2000s & it was also very concretey, but I liked it for spectating purposes. I think from memory parking is pretty good but couldn't tell you much more - I would catch a tram. Only saw Cramer St once, can't remember it at all. Only seen one other DVFL ground (Heidelberg West) & can't remember it.

I grew up used to finals being played at neutral grounds being hosted by the clubs which didn't make finals. This might have been just a country Vic thing. Since then I note that one of two things happens in metro footy: either a single "marquee" venue tends to get used for finals (eg Princes Park for Melb's Southern league, Elsternwick for VAFA) or they are hosted by the highest-placed of the two competing teams (seems to be the QAFL approach?), with the Grand Final commonly still at a marquee ground.

I've really liked the QAFL grounds for the most part, tho not seen Mt Gravatt yet. Love how they feel like they've evolved organically and maybe just squeezed in add-ons instead of raze & rebuild which usually results in something too clinical & cold. A couple of grounds have quite tight spectating area away from the main facilities but it kind of adds ambience rather than detracts. I've only seen 1 ground at the Gold Coast (Broady), and never seen Maroochydore because I do public transport which seems a tougher ask than even Noosa.

Sorry for the waffle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back