Qatar has 2022 in the bag

Remove this Banner Ad

Just had a few days in the UAE and the bid is being promoted very heavily and confidently. But it is HOT!

Took me 36 hrs to find a cold beer:thumbsdown:

Why would Qatar, who are terrible at football and DID NOT get into the World Cup, beat Australia, with our great football stadiums and sports mad people get a World Cup? Seriously. Only thing I can think of is the FIFA Greed from the oil wells.

The journo's name is Spiro Zavos, so I suspect he has smacked a round ball with the laces once or twice in his life.

To quote him:

An informed source has told me that the FIFA president, Joseph S. Blatter, Sepp Blatter to the punters, wants another term as presiding official of world football. But the chairman of the Qatar’s 2022 Bid Commitee, His Excellency Sheik Mohammed bin Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, has the numbers to prevent this.

A deal will be done to square this circle.

Blatter will get his final term as present. And Qatar will win the hosting rights to the 2022 Football World Cup.

Obviously, I have no idea whether the source is a reliable one or not, but I do know this much:

1. Such FIFA decisions are based on deals, palm greasing, and out and out corruption, that's well understood by everyone
  2. Qatar has already bought the African vote, and has at least one, if not two, of the Asian votes
  3. bin Hamad declared Asian support for Europe before Lowy did, without any discussion with the FFA, i.e. they were caught unawares

So your putting your faith in a Rugby Union "journo" now?

This is what struck me too.

I've seen enough stories quoting "informed sources" following United that are nothing more than spurious bull****, so forgive me if I think this is along similar lines.

This is what struck me too.

I've seen enough stories quoting "informed sources" following United that are nothing more than spurious bull****, so forgive me if I think this is along similar lines.

OK I'll forgive you but remember the 1st law of FIFA - WIFM..............
Whats In it For Me, Qatar are way in front in my book and I didn't need Spiro Zavos to tell me, simply connect all the dots.

Nah not FIFA greed, Qatar has pumped huge resources into African football. It has promoted football on a global scale. What has Australia done in this regard? Zilch.

So why should Australia, which has done a magnificent job at whinging, get the tournament ahead of somebody who appreciates the game as a world sport?

A senior sports correspondent on The Roar proclaims this morning that Qatar has the 2022 WC in the bag.

Read this surprising revelation here:
http://www.theroar.com.au/2010/06/29/qatar-will-host-the-2022-football-world-cup/

It looks like it's all over red rover for the soccerinas.

And in other news, North Korea declares that it doesn't like the United States of America.

Gotta laugh at the irony of an anti-football zealot quoting a Rugby Union journo on our World Cup bid!!!

If that doesn't reek of desperation on the OP's part, then my name is Barack Obama.

A senior sports correspondent on The Roar proclaims this morning that Qatar has the 2022 WC in the bag.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2010/06/29/qatar-will-host-the-2022-football-world-cup/

Oh dear oh dear. Every week another fable presented by the BS End.

In the past 4 weeks these have been BS End's theories about who will host WC 2022:

a) It's definitely going to Qatar - that's where the money is and FIFA is greedy

b) No, it's definitely going to the USA - that's where the money is and FIFA is greedy.

c) No, it's definitely going to Russia in 2022 b/c Russia is more Asia than Europe (i kid you not, that's BS End's political theory). Oh, and of course, we should add - that's where the money is and FIFA are greedy

d) No, sorry, it's going to Asia but, Qatar is too hot and Sth Korea and Japan are the truly Asian nations. And, that's where the money is and FIFA are greedy.

Like The Boy Who Cried Wolf, intelligent people now just smile and nod knowingly when they hear this type of BS coming out of his End!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And in other news, North Korea declares that it doesn't like the United States of America.

Gotta laugh at the irony of an anti-football zealot quoting a Rugby Union journo on our World Cup bid!!!

If that doesn't reek of desperation on the OP's part, then my name is Barack Obama.

Well, this is where you have to a bit more careful, and comment when you are armed with the facts, and the same goes for your very, very, good buddy figjam (don't worry, I won't let on about how close you two really are).

Spiro writes on a lot of sports on The Roar. In fact, he offered this sage advice back in December 2010:

http://www.theroar.com.au/2009/12/14/its-a-goal-australia-will-host-the-2022-football-world-cup/

and I quote:

Here is a fearless prediction: England will win the rights to host the 2018 Football World Cup tournament, and Australia will win the hosting rights to the 2022 tournament.
Now it's true, he has changed his tune - but he is the professional sports writer, and quite naturally, I have every right to bring his opinions to your attention.

As for my opinion, I will repeat what I have often repeated:

1. Such FIFA decisions are based on deals, palm greasing, and out and out corruption, that's well understood by everyone
  2. Qatar has already bought the African vote, and has at least one, if not two, of the Asian votes
  3. bin Hamad declared Asian support for Europe before Lowy did, without any discussion with the FFA, i.e. they were caught unawares

I've spent a lot of time in Qatar.

They have a lot of gas, a fair bit of oil, and deep pockets.

But they have basically one city and not a lot of the required infrastructure. They hardly have any population (in fact Qatar has the greatest GDP in the world) with lackeys imported from South Asia to do all their menial work. And it really does get into the 50's temperature-wise.

I'd be amazed if Qatar gets it... Yes they could afford it and wasting billions on giant ego trips seems quite the norm in that part of the world. But what does it offer FIFA? The necessity to play games at night means not a great time zone for latin america and east Asia. There is no population to convert either.

Surely the US has to be the sensible option for reasons that have been posted numerous times. If Qatar really does get it then good luck to them, and it will probably prove the theory that there's a lot of palm-greasing going on. After all, they have enough cash to pay anyone off and no Qatari will dare protest about it.

But they have basically one city and not a lot of the required infrastructure. They hardly have any population (in fact Qatar has the greatest GDP in the world) with lackeys imported from South Asia to do all their menial work. And it really does get into the 50's temperature-wise.

I'd be amazed if Qatar gets it... Yes they could afford it and wasting billions on giant ego trips seems quite the norm in that part of the world. But what does it offer FIFA? The necessity to play games at night means not a great time zone for latin america and east Asia. There is no population to convert either.

Surely the US has to be the sensible option for reasons that have been posted numerous times. If Qatar really does get it then good luck to them, and it will probably prove the theory that there's a lot of palm-greasing going on. After all, they have enough cash to pay anyone off and no Qatari will dare protest about it.

Good point, my sister in law's old man works as an engineer in Qatar, and over there, they aren't taking the World Cup bid too seriously. The World Cup bid is more about building an image for Qatar/national pride then anything else. Just ask anybody who is living over there at the moment (in the 40 degree plus celsius heat!!!!).

Although BSE, that's wishful thinking (I've also posted about this in the Roar's website as well) on your part, but Spiro is one of the best bloggers on that site, and you would have to take what he says into consideration, considering the machinations involved with FIFA (which according to Andrew Jennings is little better than the IOC was under Samaranch in the 80's & 90's) and the fact that the USA offers so much more as a host (the main points of which I also brought up in my post).

Why would Qatar, who are terrible at football and DID NOT get into the World Cup, beat Australia, with our great football stadiums and sports mad people get a World Cup? Seriously. Only thing I can think of is the FIFA Greed from the oil wells.
absolutly spot on

theres a host of reasons why they shouldnt host

climate- people think this wc sucks, wait til you get them playing in 40 degree heat. + if you find vuvuzela's annoying you wont like the arabic music they play in stadiums. they say "lets play games at midnight", what a dopey solution

stadiums- you think ours are white elephants, theirs wud be 1000% worse, they cant even get ppl to the qatari league and its free.

size of country- way, way, WAY to small to host, and wud surely breach the whole 1 stadium per city rule.

dry country- illegal to drink/ appear to be drunk in public, only in certain hotels......yeah good luck with that in a world cup

as for the reasons why, theres 2

1) bin hamman, he's qatari and many think he'll be fifa pres by then.

2) as you said, oil money

oh dear oh dear. Every week another fable presented by the bs end.

In the past 4 weeks these have been bs end's theories about who will host wc 2022:

A) it's definitely going to qatar - that's where the money is and fifa is greedy

b) no, it's definitely going to the usa - that's where the money is and fifa is greedy.

C) no, it's definitely going to russia in 2022 b/c russia is more asia than europe (i kid you not, that's bs end's political theory). Oh, and of course, we should add - that's where the money is and fifa are greedy

d) no, sorry, it's going to asia but, qatar is too hot and sth korea and japan are the truly asian nations. And, that's where the money is and fifa are greedy.

Like the boy who cried wolf, intelligent people now just smile and nod knowingly when they hear this type of bs coming out of his end!
:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahhahaha

lolololololololololololol

This:thumbsu: Qatar is a sh1thole of the highest order. I wonder at times when i'm there if it is worth the money they pay me.:(

absolutly spot on

theres a host of reasons why they shouldnt host

climate- people think this wc sucks, wait til you get them playing in 40 degree heat. + if you find vuvuzela's annoying you wont like the arabic music they play in stadiums. they say "lets play games at midnight", what a dopey solution

They will be installing climate control in the stadiums, so therefore the heat will not be an issue. They will be able to play the games at a normal time for the European time zone.

stadiums- you think ours are white elephants, theirs wud be 1000% worse, they cant even get ppl to the qatari league and its free.

That will not be an issue as the stadium's are designed to be taken apart and given to third world countries therefore providing a lot more to football than others.

Besides Qatar can afford to spend the money on the stadiums, unlike South Africa.

size of country- way, way, WAY to small to host, and wud surely breach the whole 1 stadium per city rule.

Agree that it is a bit of an issue, but if FIFA agree's to lax there rules then there is nothing stopping Qatar from having multiple stadiums in the one city. (We will have to do the same thing).

dry country- illegal to drink/ appear to be drunk in public, only in certain hotels......yeah good luck with that in a world cup

I'm sure the government/royalty would lax the rules for the duration of the cup, if they aren't prepared to allow drinking then they don't win the rights.

They will be installing climate control in the stadiums, so therefore the heat will not be an issue. They will be able to play the games at a normal time for the European time zone.

That will not be an issue as the stadium's are designed to be taken apart and given to third world countries therefore providing a lot more to football than others.

Besides Qatar can afford to spend the money on the stadiums, unlike South Africa.

Agree that it is a bit of an issue, but if FIFA agree's to lax there rules then there is nothing stopping Qatar from having multiple stadiums in the one city. (We will have to do the same thing).

I'm sure the government/royalty would lax the rules for the duration of the cup, if they aren't prepared to allow drinking then they don't win the rights.

I really hope you are joking...

Qatar to build 8 indoor stadiums in Doha of capacity 40k+, then dismantle them and give them away??? Can you imagine the cost of moving 8 Ethiad Stadiums - to New Zealand???

I really hope you are joking...

Qatar to build 8 indoor stadiums in Doha of capacity 40k+, then dismantle them and give them away??? Can you imagine the cost of moving 8 Ethiad Stadiums - to New Zealand???

Qatar are proposing open air stadiums with giant evaporative air conditioning systems blowing water cooled air through them, bringing the pitch side temperature (apparently) down to 28 degrees, and no hotter then 33 degrees in the stands (assuming a 35 degree plus night - quite common in Qatar this time of year). The majority of their stadia are proposed to have modular upper tiers that can be removed post world cup and transported overseas (in theory). In practice, it'd be much easier to not bother with the hassle of transportation and just build stadiums in the countries that Qatar are proposing to send the modular upper tiers to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back