Unofficial Preview Qualifying Final v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im talking bout them not us , some 1 still needs to take Spanger and with Baily back Hale goes forward so Buddy out doesn't make a difference , roughy can still get of the leash

Xavier will be all over him.

But for cereal, we have Everitt that could go with Spang if you're that worried about him. We'll be able to move the ball out quickly from their 50 because they are so tall in their 50

If they keep Spangher in, he might have to stay back, as our forwards are taller than their backline. Once Lake goes to Tippett, we have them outsized all across the park, by quite a lot if Spangher isn't back there.

Lake_______195_____Tippett___202
Spangher___195_____Pyke_____201
Birchall_____193_____Mumford__198
Gibson_____189_____White_____196
Hodge______185____Rohan_____189
Guerra______182____Bolton_____181
Stratton 189

Some 1 has to go to Spanger is he stays in for Buddy and with Baily coming back that allows Hale to go forward
Teddy - Roughy
Grundy - Hale
Rampe - Gunston
Spanger - ?

Everitt would probably be the best match up for the Spang (In all honesty not worried about him, if he keeps kicking the way he did on Friday night he may as well be playing for us).

Stratton 189
Fair enough. So if Spangher goes forward, and we assume Pyke will be forward more often than Mumford, we get:

Lake_______195_____Tippett___202
Birchall_____193_____Pyke_____201
Stratton____189_____White____196
Gibson_____189_____Rohan____189
Hodge______185____Bolton_____181
Guerra______182____McGlynn___Very small

That means our three big forwards are all 7-8cm taller than their direct opponent. That's a big difference to have across the board.

Just to put it in perspective, a 7cm difference in height, works out (on rough averages) to a 20cm difference in standing reach. Don't see how Hawthorn can let us have three 20cm advantages for our three key forwards, not to mention the bady mass and strength differences. Spangher would have to go back, you'd think.

Just to put it in perspective, a 7cm difference in height, works out (on rough averages) to a 20cm difference in standing reach. Don't see how Hawthorn can let us have three 20cm advantages for our three key forwards, not to mention the bady mass and strength differences. Spangher would have to go back, you'd think.
Wont matter to much if the entries are pour

Poo true. He can be quite damaging if let off the leash, the little bastard. Aside from his tendency to duck, he is super quick, gets in the right spots and makes good decisions for the most part. Not sure about his overall disposal efficiency, but will need some attention.

EDIT, Puopolo that is...

Wont matter to much if the entries are pour

True, but i don't suspect the potential quality of our forward 50 entries will be the most significant factor in their match day planning of how to structure their backline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coming from a Collingwood Supporter.
GO SWANNIES!! You guys were unlucky not to win it on Friday.
But this time around with Hannebery and Tippet in you will win.
Hawthorn to lose to the Tigers the week after =)

Not going to read through 16 pages, but what's everyone's thoughts to potentially dropping Mumford & playing Morton instead? We don't need 48 talls playing in our forward line, and every time we've gone super-tall, we bomb if forward without looking and almost never have someone on the ground to crumb. Just look at last years GF - we had Reid, Goodes & Pyke - only Reid can be considered a tall KPF while Pyke was all over the ground. This year we're looking at White, Tipped, Mumford/Pyke - that's at least 1 tall too many. The Hawks can get away with it because they have skilful half-forwards that play defensive as well. That's something we don't have with 4 talls, but we do with Morton.

Not going to read through 16 pages, but what's everyone's thoughts to potentially dropping Mumford & playing Morton instead? We don't need 48 talls playing in our forward line, and every time we've gone super-tall, we bomb if forward without looking and almost never have someone on the ground to crumb. Just look at last years GF - we had Reid, Goodes & Pyke - only Reid can be considered a tall KPF while Pyke was all over the ground. This year we're looking at White, Tipped, Mumford/Pyke - that's at least 1 tall too many. The Hawks can get away with it because they have skilful half-forwards that play defensive as well. That's something we don't have with 4 talls, but we do with Morton.

Only if it rains a lot. And it would be White out, not Mumford. Why give up the Mumford/Pyke ruck combo? A couple of people have suggested dropping Mumford, but i just don't get why we'd give up our number 1 ruck.

Goodness me, I hope we don't opt for that. That would be rather misguided.

I'm not against Morton playing but not in place of Mumford. How anyone could suggest Mumford shouldn't play after his last month is beyond me. Pick someone else to not play in place of Morton.

Ins : Smith, Tippet, Jetta (sub), Hanners
Outs : BJ, Biggs, Cunningham, probably Morton but slight possibly Mitchell as he's not having the impact he had earlier.

I would like the see Mitchell out instead of Morton to be honest. Mitchell has been well down lately especially against quality opposition and we all know about Morton's record in big games. It is September after all.

No. Our rucks are dominant and give us a clear advantage over the Hawks. Winning first ball use will be crucial and the fact our rucks are mobile around the ground than a Hale/Bailey combination and with Franklin out the Hawks will not be able to consider swinging Roughead up the ground, they will want to leave him in front of goal.

Mumfords recent form has been seriously good and works well with Pyke playing foil. Watch what happens to Goldstein at North when he tries to ruck one out. In our game plan the ruck is a vital position and we need both players.

The Tall set up

Mumford at Ruck, Tippett full forward Pyke resting deep corner, White playing shallow CHF and wandering up the ground when play is set in our backline to be the get out of trouble target for the running backs.

I'd rather see Lamb than Morton. Morton is good, but with Jetta and Rohan in I think we can stretch them with pace. Lamb is faster than Morton (i think... Morton doesn't seem too quick), and might be able to find more space in the forward 50.

A fully fit Morton against a not quite quite fit Mitchell (this is what he seems to be atm) would be an interesting discussion. I'd probably go for Morton.

But Morton is not fully fit atm. He can't be after 4 or 5 weeks off. He surely was just picked as the sub for the week to tide us over until week 1 of the finals when we could bring back our big 4.

I'd rather see Lamb than Morton. Morton is good, but with Jetta and Rohan in I think we can stretch them with pace. Lamb is faster than Morton (i think... Morton doesn't seem too quick), and might be able to find more space in the forward 50.

Morton is a far superior forward than Lamb, that can't be disputed. Morton in for Mitchell is plausible, but it also mean we lose 1 midfield player, and without a doubt, Jetta will be the substitute.

If we want to retain Mitchell & Morton, then you're looking at Mitchell from the bench, Rohan as sub, Jetta doesn't play, the two new players are dropped for Tippet & Smith.

We just need someone who can kick a goal hanging out around the feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back