Question about the future of club membership

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't understand. If you are not there then you can't use the seat. I use the sell-back system and would use it if there was no recompense. I'm not attending so I cannot use the seats. I ask friends/family and if no-one wants to use the tickets then I sell-back to the club. I would do exactly the same thing if it was just a 'give-back' though. Maybe the difference is I don't deem the seats to be something I own, as you appear to.

If you buy a membership then you own them for the season, I am not judging you as you can do as you please. I have a real issue with my club making a further profit on seats they have already profited from. I have let them know that also, of course they don't care as demand outweighs supply.

If you buy a membership then you own them for the season, I am not judging you as you can do as you please. I have a real issue with my club making a further profit on seats they have already profited from. I have let them know that also, of course they don't care as demand outweighs supply.

Fair enough I guess if that's your position. All i'd say is that people are missing out on being able to attend games while you make your moral stand...

Fair enough I guess if that's your position. All i'd say is that people are missing out on being able to attend games while you make your moral stand...

As a 25 year member I think I can make that choice, many missing out chose to not be members when I did.
I rarely not go so it's not a real issue and when I don't it is generally last minute decision.
It really is not my concern whether others can or can't go. It actually doesn't cross my mind.

Most likely cap the 3-game memberships which would make up a large section of those numbers. Ideally, clubs want people to be 11-game members as its more money and most likely higher attendances which leads to more gate-revenue
Except for the large interstate contingent that in a way just make a donation to the club with 3 game memberships, as they can't attend often.

A scale of memberships as they already have is the way to go, most interstaters and 3 gamers will probably pay the extra to reserve a seat on the infrequent times they get to a game anyway.

(hopefully) pressure would be put on the AFL & MCC members, both to hand over seats, and for more money, although I suspect they're unlikely to help out (indeed, they'd probably use it to increase their own incomes).

Can't speak for the AFL Members, but the MCC won't be going near that. They created a 3rd tier of membership a few years back to combat the growing waiting list, give it a few more years and the reserve will be filling much more for low drawing games.

AFL members count towards club tallies though and a lot of MCC members also have club memberships so there's a bit of double up there.

Plus you can't bring Fido into the ground so the Hawks will automatically find an extra 20k seats right there :p

^^This. AFL Member club support counts towards club membership figures, plus the MCC now sell quite a few non-attendance or Etihad only memberships for their tenant clubs. There's a long way to go until we hit capacity, the closest thing we have to this in Melbourne is Essendon home games at Etihad.

Well that's a really great attitude. You're alright, **** everyone else. :thumbsu:

You're missing his point. The club have already gouged him on his membership and yet still only buy the seat back for a fraction of the price they re-sell it for, if anything he's saying 'f*** West Coast'.

Putting more unused seats in the hands of fans who could use them is certainly a good thing, but it's a bit rich for a club with $40million in the bank to expect their long-term members to swallow the arrangement in its current form.

For example, greatwhiteshark I'm guessing there's no mechanism for members to directly sell the seat themselves for a single game like they have in the Medallion Club, it has to be done through the club?

Can't speak for the AFL Members, but the MCC won't be going near that. They created a 3rd tier of membership a few years back to combat the growing waiting list, give it a few more years and the reserve will be filling much more for low drawing games.

^^This. AFL Member club support counts towards club membership figures, plus the MCC now sell quite a few non-attendance or Etihad only memberships for their tenant clubs. There's a long way to go until we hit capacity, the closest thing we have to this in Melbourne is Essendon home games at Etihad.

You're missing his point. The club have already gouged him on his membership and yet still only buy the seat back for a fraction of the price they re-sell it for, if anything he's saying 'f*** West Coast'.

Putting more unused seats in the hands of fans who could use them is certainly a good thing, but it's a bit rich for a club with $40million in the bank to expect their long-term members to swallow the arrangement in its current form.

For example, greatwhiteshark I'm guessing there's no mechanism for members to directly sell the seat themselves for a single game like they have in the Medallion Club, it has to be done through the club?

Correct mate.

Says it all really. Hardly the altruistic gesture thst the ticket exchange is portrayed as.

When it comes to money the Eagles don’t like parting with it. I have more of an issue with the people who won’t criticise the club for blatant double dipping but then crack the people like me who say I won’t be a part of it.

Don't understand. If you are not there then you can't use the seat. I use the sell-back system and would use it if there was no recompense. I'm not attending so I cannot use the seats. I ask friends/family and if no-one wants to use the tickets then I sell-back to the club. I would do exactly the same thing if it was just a 'give-back' though. Maybe the difference is I don't deem the seats to be something I own, as you appear to.
Another factor is not all the members go to all games for various reasons. I think the figure is about 50% on average

Remove this Banner Ad

Back