Discussion Question and Answer Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not even close šŸ˜‰ Iā€™m unlikely to be specific even if you guessā€¦ Weā€™re actually the biggest sporting team in the country šŸ˜Š
A small part of that team at leastā€¦
The Bong Olympics is my guess.

Does anyone track which players wears long sleeve jumpers week by week?
Would love to know who is leading this year as I reckon Stepho from North would be right up there.
Career wise (Modern) it would be hard to go pass Tucky from Hawthorn who wore a longy the majority of his career but when it was hot would go back to a short sleeve.

Clarko would love to know who was on this list for future recruitingā€¦. šŸ˜‰
Iā€™m pretty sure Brad Close has worn a long sleeve in every game heā€™s played so far

Does anyone track which players wears long sleeve jumpers week by week?
Would love to know who is leading this year as I reckon Stepho from North would be right up there.
Career wise (Modern) it would be hard to go pass Tucky from Hawthorn who wore a longy the majority of his career but when it was hot would go back to a short sleeve.

Clarko would love to know who was on this list for future recruitingā€¦. šŸ˜‰
Brad Hardie, Nigel Lappin and are two that spring to mind from the past other than Tuck.
Cam Guthrie wears a longie in the first half then swaps out to sleeveless at half time I noticed. Ive also noticed Allir Allir do the same on occasions this year at Port.

Brad Hardie, Nigel Lappin and are two that spring to mind from the past other than Tuck.
Cam Guthrie wears a longie in the first half then swaps out to sleeveless at half time I noticed. Ive also noticed Allir Allir do the same on occasions this year at Port.

Brad Plain ex Bombers player in the early 90ā€™s wore a longy in every game he played (56 of them). Remembered seeing him at training one day and didnā€™t recognise him cause he was in a short sleeves and his arms were covered in Tatts. Apparently that was the reason why he wore a longy was to cover his Tatts so the umpires didnā€™t unfairly treat him! Gees these days nearly half the players are covered in tatts - obviously he was ahead of the times.

Brad Plain ex Bombers player in the early 90ā€™s wore a longy in every game he played (56 of them). Remembered seeing him at training one day and didnā€™t recognise him cause he was in a short sleeves and his arms were covered in Tatts. Apparently that was the reason why he wore a longy was to cover his Tatts so the umpires didnā€™t unfairly treat him! Gees these days nearly half the players are covered in tatts - obviously he was ahead of the times.
Brad was a mate of my brother.
I wouldn't say his arms were covered in tats, he had one on each arm when he was playing, but he wore long sleeves because he didn't want his mum to find out. Not because of umpires.
He grew up in Melbourne, and played in Tassie. When he was there he got a couple of tats, knowing his mum disapproved of them.

Anyone have any tips on drawing animal heads, specifically birds?
Trace real images of bird heads and turn it into a silhouette. Gradually add as much detail as you like and see how you go. You don't have to trace it exact (for example, Hawthorn and WCE logos of the 2000s) stylise it as much as you want but the more you work on it the more you'll like what you're drawing.

Anyone have any tips on drawing animal heads, specifically birds?

Initially, look at a stack of bird head logos.

If you just google image search "Eagles logo" and "hawks logo" and start to have a look at the way they're typically laid out and the composition of them. You're not copying these logos, but you are looking for a bit of a style you like and how they execute certain parts of the logo like the beak, the eyes, how they display feathers etc.

Then i'd do what Andonis said in his response is to find a photo or illustration of a bird that is at roughly the right angle, and then do a rough sketch in photoshop over the top of that bird. And then a rough sketch over that rough sketch, trying to simplify it, make it bold with thick lines so it works better as a logo.

Here is a bird logo I did for one of the old Logo of the week comps, and my final rough sketch that I ended up drawing from. There were probably 2-3 sketches before that one where I refined it and cut out a lot of the excess stuff that I didn't need.

TWRUn4W.jpg

This is probably a better example of what i'm talking about, but it's not a bird. I found a snapping turtle at the angle I wanted and drew from there. This will cycle through a couple of sketch iterations and then the final product. I've left the sort of moodboard guide images that on the side of my image and i'd regularly look at them to see how they do things, without actually copying them, if that makes sense

CvkgHxR.gif

Initially, look at a stack of bird head logos.

If you just google image search "Eagles logo" and "hawks logo" and start to have a look at the way they're typically laid out and the composition of them. You're not copying these logos, but you are looking for a bit of a style you like and how they execute certain parts of the logo like the beak, the eyes, how they display feathers etc.

Then i'd do what Andonis said in his response is to find a photo or illustration of a bird that is at roughly the right angle, and then do a rough sketch in photoshop over the top of that bird. And then a rough sketch over that rough sketch, trying to simplify it, make it bold with thick lines so it works better as a logo.

Here is a bird logo I did for one of the old Logo of the week comps, and my final rough sketch that I ended up drawing from. There were probably 2-3 sketches before that one where I refined it and cut out a lot of the excess stuff that I didn't need.

TWRUn4W.jpg

This is probably a better example of what i'm talking about, but it's not a bird. I found a snapping turtle at the angle I wanted and drew from there. This will cycle through a couple of sketch iterations and then the final product. I've left the sort of moodboard guide images that on the side of my image and i'd regularly look at them to see how they do things, without actually copying them, if that makes sense

CvkgHxR.gif
Thanks scorch. I really appreciate it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we know the reason why Fremantle ditched the red and green plus the anchor in 2011?
I thought it was something to do with heritage (the red chevrons were very well accepted by the fans during heritage round), after i read about it in a book about the history of the Fremantle Dockers

Yeah but why the drop of the red and green?
"CLUB COLOURS
The colour purple was the brand element that members and other stakeholders ā€œmost strongly feltā€ should be associated with the Fremantle Football Club. It was seen as being ā€œstrong, liked and uniqueā€.

While white was accepted as a second colour, the research strongly indicated that red and green were viewed as ā€œfragmenting and distractingā€. The use of red and green also contributed to the perception that both the logo and jumper contained too many elements and contributed to the ā€œclutteredā€ appearance of both the logo and the jumper.

The overall outcome of the survey of members, supporters and other stakeholders showed that and that any changes to the logo and jumper should reflect the key themes of ā€œsimplicity, authenticity and strengthā€."

Article also talks about the guernsey and logo design change.

Is anyone else having trouble with Google Images loading properly? The problem Im having is that is not loading all the image thumbnails and then when I click on the thumbnails that are loaded they do not expand like normally. Ive posted a pic below and that is the 4th or 5th row from the top.

Ive cleared the cache and cookies, checked to make sure Java Script is on and have made sure my Google Chrome is up to date.

BTW it has been happening for about a week and I have restarted Chrome.
google images problem.jpg
:EDIT: DW, I use a VPN and I still had it set to the USA to watch something on VICE. I just changed it back AU the problem seams to be fixed. Thanks anyway for your time :)

Last edited:
Is anyone else having trouble with Google Images loading properly? The problem Im having is that is not loading all the image thumbnails and then when I click on the thumbnails that are loaded they do not expand like normally. Ive posted a pic below and that is the 4th or 5th row from the top.

Ive cleared the cache and cookies, checked to make sure Java Script is on and have made sure my Google Chrome is up to date.

BTW it has been happening for about a week and I have restarted Chrome.
View attachment 1272233
maybe you've got safe search on and google doesn't want you looking up big dix.

nah i dunno, fwiw mine does the same thing for a quarter of a second as i'm scrolling down fast through a google image search, but they load pretty quick. what internet provider are you with? does internet explorer work? if you're on a laptop try hotspot off your phone and see if its the wifi that's the issue? use another laptop on the same wifi and see if they have the same probleM/

maybe you've got safe search on and google doesn't want you looking up big dix.

nah i dunno, fwiw mine does the same thing for a quarter of a second as i'm scrolling down fast through a google image search, but they load pretty quick. what internet provider are you with? does internet explorer work? if you're on a laptop try hotspot off your phone and see if its the wifi that's the issue? use another laptop on the same wifi and see if they have the same probleM/
hahaha big hairy dix!! XD

All good I worked out it was a problem with the VPN and the location I was using.

Anyone have a BLK style template for illustrator I could download? Tried making my own but not having much luck.
This is the 2015 BLK kit which was in a pdf for Richmond's Dreamtime Uniform.
I have adapted it to both sides being the same size and taken off Richmond IP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back