Preview R:8 - Swans v Giants - 1:45pm SCG - Saturday 4 May

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 1970 GF is currently on Fox.

The footy is just so good when umps don’t spend the whole game looking for technicalities to award frees.

i watched some highlights of essendon's 1993 finals series the other day, and what struck me was how enjoyable the commentary was ... knowledgeable, sensible, accurate, no histrionics, and captured the atmosphere
the bruce mcavaney of that period was a far more listenable version than the prissy star-struck fawning tool of his latter years
(and before i cop it, i was watching largely to remind myself just how young the "baby bombers" were)

We seem to be going very tall for such a wet game.
Yeah I would’ve dropped Amartey or McLean for Parker for this game. Maybe there’ll be a late change?

Williamson & Mollison regularly ream Us even partnered with others. Together they will destroy us. Bookmark this. Only way to beat these 2 is take it out of their hands and pull out a blinder otherwise it will go in the loss column. Both cheats.
Williamson is as bad as Stevic , the difference is that he's an attention seeking rat

Williamson is as bad as Stevic , the difference is that he's an attention seeking rat
I never thought I would despise an umpire more than Nicholls then Stevic trumped him. Williamson has him covered now. You are spot on with him being an attention seeker. Has a pontificating arrogance about him to go along with blatant cheating. People used to complain about Razor ? Take him any day over these cheating dogs. Rosebery also falls into the category.

I never thought I would despise an umpire more than Nicholls then Stevic trumped him. Williamson has him covered now. You are spot on with him being an attention seeker. Has a pontificating arrogance about him to go along with blatant cheating. People used to complain about Razor ? Take him any day over these cheating dogs. Rosebery also falls into the category.
Agree about Razor , at least he has the guts to go on SEN and admit to faults , imagine getting Stevic on and talk about his cheating in 12's last Q as he tried to get the Hawks over the line

I don't think this is true to be fair.

In the 2020s, we are 5-3 over them with an average winning margin of 34 points, while their average winning margin in their wins is 2 points.

That's a fair point, perhaps bunnies isn't the right word, but for a period it certainly felt that way. We've certainly turned it around in recent seasons. But for a period GWS definitely had the edge.

Apart from the first stretch where GWS managed a single win (2012-2015 swans 7-1), GWS were a team I was never confident in beating, particularly in finals where we're 0-3).

Since that first stretch. This is our record:
2016 - GWS 2-1 incl. the QF win
2017 - 1-1
2018 - Swans 2-1, but GWS won the EF
2019 - GWS 2-0
2020 - Swans 1-0 (covid season)
2021 - GWS 2-1 incl. the EF win
2022 - Syd 2-0
2023 - 1-1

To me, that's 4 seasons to GWS vs 2 to the Swans, 2 years where we've tied.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a fair point, perhaps bunnies isn't the right word, but for a period it certainly felt that way. We've certainly turned it around in recent seasons. But for a period GWS definitely had the edge.

Apart from the first stretch where GWS managed a single win (2012-2015 swans 7-1), GWS were a team I was never confident in beating, particularly in finals where we're 0-3).

Since that first stretch. This is our record:
2016 - GWS 2-1 incl. the QF win
2017 - 1-1
2018 - Swans 2-1, but GWS won the EF
2019 - GWS 2-0
2020 - Swans 1-0 (covid season)
2021 - GWS 2-1 incl. the EF win
2022 - Syd 2-0
2023 - 1-1

To me, that's 4 seasons to GWS vs 2 to the Swans, 2 years where we've tied.
To me, only 22 & 23 have any relevance, and even then not much!

Our boys are coming into the peak of their careers, with a fair few still yet to reach 23 - so comparing anything previous to now, as in this season, doesn't really have any relevance for me.

We really need to have more whingeing about umpires
Wasn’t that long ago that an AFL umpire (Michael Pell) was found to be betting on games.

Umpires are human & make mistakes - but showboating, bias, incompetence and corruption does exist in their ranks.

2016 should never be forgotten.

Hope this helped meet the ump whinging quota.

i watched some highlights of essendon's 1993 finals series the other day, and what struck me was how enjoyable the commentary was ... knowledgeable, sensible, accurate, no histrionics, and captured the atmosphere
the bruce mcavaney of that period was a far more listenable version than the prissy star-struck fawning tool of his latter years
(and before i cop it, i was watching largely to remind myself just how young the "baby bombers" were)

Yes Sandy and Bruce etc just called the game, excited for both teams, one special comment person when needed, was brilliant , kept it simple.

BOM gives a general forecast for the day and whole city. Bomza (Donza) looks at where the rain is likely to be (vicinity of the SCG or not), combined with when it's likely to rain (just before, or during the game, or not).
For which there are surely no data points available in Australia for more than a day out - and even then.

Japan has forecasts like that, accurate more than not - hour by hour. I've never seen any even close in Australia. What is this sorcery you speak of?

His job is to kick goals.

Hard to do that with 2 or 3 disposals.

But if we win & Armatey has a good game - Horse is the anti-Hinkley.

I’ll reserve judgement til post game & be a hindsight genius.
It’s going to be wet, talls can be effective in getting the ball to ground and clunking on or two..it’s more looking like a game where the players at his feet will kick the goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back