Preview R11: Changes vs Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't Dawson only s**t for the 1st quarter when we weren't in the contest? Murphy was not just s**t but very very very s**t for the 2nd half when we were in the contest so he had a lot of opportunity to contribute to doing something to win the game.
Murphy wasn't very shit in the second half he just fell out of the game as it got tougher and had no influence

The club is too arrogant to feel that pressure. I think they'd probably mainly ignore it and ramp up some PR with a fluff piece about Rachelle's haircut or the like.
I don’t know, losing to West Coast at home on top of the year we are having would be next level, there’s no hiding from that

Dawson was s**t in the first half and couldn’t hit the side of a barn door going I50, have you got a point? Is his overall game bad because of that? No, it ain’t. I am literally the furthest from a Murphy fan, but he had the 2nd most score involvements on the ground, it’s ok to say he had a good game, the world won’t end!
Murphy's game for the position he plays was barely the standard output of any other player in any other team that is part of a best 22. Which is what Nicks thinks Murphy is. In fact if he was playing in a competent side you could argue his performance was below par. Nicks has set the bar so low for this prick and several other players at the club that on the rare occasion they actually do something it constitutes them having played a great game.
On the flip side if you are a young draftee and miraculously manage to get a game, but find yourself playing in a position that is the complete opposite to where youve played all your footy up till now and dominated, don't expect any favours from Kojak if you have a bit of a quiet one or make a mistake. He'll have you out the side so fast and working on "shape" you won't know what happened.

Last edited:
Murphy's game for the position he plays was barely the standard output of any other player in any other team that is part of a best 22. Which is what Nicks thinks Murphy is. In fact if he was playing in a competent side you could argue his performance was below par. Nicks has set the bar so low for this prick and several other players at the club that on the rare occasion they actually do something it constitutes them having played a great game.
On the flip side if you are a young draftee and miraculously manage to get a game don't expect any favours from Kojak.
Murphy kicks a single goal and it's all "See! What do you have to say for yourselves now?" like a small forward kicking a goal is some amazing feat.

Or maybe they were just excited it was the first score he registered all year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Murphy kicks a single goal and it's all "See! What do you have to say for yourselves now?" like a small forward kicking a goal is some amazing feat.

Or maybe they were just excited it was the first score he registered all year.
No, he had the most score involvements for us and 2nd most on the ground. Why are people finding it so hard to give him credit for a good game? If you’re critical of his 2nd half, apply that same measure to a few that didn’t rock up in the first half. There is no one praising his game that actually thought he deserved his spot back in the side, but that also doesn’t prevent you from recognizing a good performance.

We only really looked like scoring in the first half when he was involved, that’s just fact and was very noticeable given it’s an out of the box game for him.

No, he had the most score involvements for us and 2nd most on the ground. Why are people finding it so hard to give him credit for a good game? If you’re critical of his 2nd half, apply that same measure to a few that didn’t rock up in the first half. There is no one praising his game that actually thought he deserved his spot back in the side, but that also doesn’t prevent you from recognizing a good performance.

We only really looked like scoring in the first half when he was involved, that’s just fact and was very noticeable given it’s an out of the box game for him.
He had a good half, not a good game.

He had a good half, not a good game.
That’s utter garbage, if our midfield and other forwards turned up in that first half as well then we win by 3-4 goals. Of course Murphy’s game was important, otherwise we are down by 7 goals at half time given almost no one else was really contributing to our scores.

Dawson and Rankine had a lot of poor disposals in the first half, yet had good 2nd halves. Did they also not have ‘good games’ using this measure?

Only our defensive six had good games going by this measure of needing to play 4 quarters.

That’s utter garbage, if our midfield and other forwards turned up in that first half as well then we win by 3-4 goals. Of course Murphy’s game was important, otherwise we are down by 7 goals at half time given almost no one else was really contributing to our scores.

Dawson and Rankine had a lot of poor disposals in the first half, yet had good 2nd halves. Did they also not have ‘good games’ using this measure?

Only our defensive six had good games going by this measure of needing to play 4 quarters.
You’re not seriously suggesting you can go missing for a half and claim to have a good game?

You’re not seriously suggesting you can go missing for a half and claim to have a good game?
Are we just debating the definition of 'good'? Murphy had 14 disposals, 3 goal assists and a goal in that high half-forward role. Led the team for score involvements, was influential with his touches and provided some good pressure at times as well, even in the last quarter where he did a good job closing down Quaynor at a dangerous moment in defence. If he did that every week I'd be happy to have him in the team (he doesn't obviously).

Not sure what adjectives you'd use to describe that but I think 'good' is about right. I didn't hate Walker's game either who some people have criticised on here but I'd put Murphy in a similar bracket. Some flaws (finishing in Walker's case) but overall good.

Since I’m very rarely here anymore, before I say anything about changes can someone tell me what was it that changed BACCS from angry back to apologist? Was it the thrashing of the traffic cones, the Showdown, or shelling leads in the dying minutes of consecutive games - of which we needed one win to realistically keep our season alive?

Taylor or Dowling should come in for Rankine. But they won’t.

The reality is that the sky is not falling in - we are not very far away and once we turned up to this season in mid April we have played more or less to the same level as we did last year despite Tex’s output falling from “All Australian winning games off his own boot” to “I really hope he’s carrying something because if he’s not then he’s done”.

A season where not much goes right and we end up with pick 7 would not be the worst thing as long as (a) we don’t trade it in a desperate attempt to make it look like we are progressing and (b) someone waves a pendulum in front of Hamish’s face and tells him to DRAFT. A. MIDFIELDER.

There’s a bit to like about us but - and these two things are related - the coach doesn’t know what he’s doing and we have a number of nothing footballers in the side. For the rest of the season we really should be prioritising:

- getting a block of games into each of Taylor, Dowling, Curtin and Ryan.

- giving Berry (who is out of contract) a proper chance as a first string clearance mid so we can either move forward with him in there or cut bait and move on. We know he, Laird and Crouch can’t co exist so decision time.

Every Thursday selection should have these priorities front of mind.

We will win however many we win but it probably won’t be the 10 out of 13 that we realistically need from here. Could be close though. We are pretty good with some obvious opportunities to become more than that in the short to medium term.

Are we just debating the definition of 'good'? Murphy had 14 disposals, 3 goal assists and a goal in that high half-forward role. Led the team for score involvements, was influential with his touches and provided some good pressure at times as well, even in the last quarter where he did a good job closing down Quaynor at a dangerous moment in defence. If he did that every week I'd be happy to have him in the team (he doesn't obviously).

Not sure what adjectives you'd use to describe that but I think 'good' is about right. I didn't hate Walker's game either who some people have criticised on here but I'd put Murphy in a similar bracket. Some flaws (finishing in Walker's case) but overall good.
We are debating Murphy had a good half and then disappeared, some consider that a good game, some consider that playing a good half and then disappearing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back