Play Nice Random Chat Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A long time ago, during the Rodney King Riots in LA, NWA came out with the song F Tha police.
JJJ was one of the only stations to play it worldwide. I can’t remember the details but I believe they got banned from playing it so in protest they played another NWA song ‘express yourself’ on repeat for a day..
Massive respect to all those involved!

I couldn’t imagine how the libs would handle it today..
I got most of that music from RRR the Ghost who Walks, Steve Walker. He was an arrogant prick, but his show was brilliant. Massively influenced my taste in music

campaigners.

By reports he’s in a stable condition. Don’t know what the old bloke was thinking by approaching them tbh. I don’t blame that individual cop, you can here the cops all saying “push them back”...it’s probably the training.

IMO this is on whoever has decided that people aren’t allowed to protest and put that curfew in place. This will continue till they lift that curfew. They don’t have the people on their side. Madness

Remember Body Count? I think it was Ice T and a few others.

"Cop killers" was there main song - I can just remember the chorus, something like:

Cop killer, better new than me
Cop killer, fk police brutality
Cop killer, I know you family's grieving - fk em
because tonight we get even.

I'm pretty sure that was banned and rightly so. I'm not into censorship, but that song went way beyond decency.

Very similar environment to what is going on now though.

It’s so ironic that he ended up playing a cop for years on telle.

He’s been pretty active on Twitter encouraging people to protest. Don’t think he personally is protesting though

Special Report: How union, Supreme Court shield Minneapolis cops

Reade Levinson, Michael Berens

(Reuters) - Long before the death of George Floyd last week, efforts to overhaul the way policing is done in Minneapolis repeatedly fizzled in the face of a powerful 800-member union that championed military-style police tactics.

The union’s labor contract with the city is a formidable roadblock to citizens seeking disciplinary action after aggressive encounters with police. Led by Lieutenant Bob Kroll, the union’s vocal and hard-charging president for five years, officers rarely face sanctions, Reuters has found.

A Reuters analysis of complaints against Minneapolis police officers from the past eight years shows that 9 of every 10 accusations of misconduct were resolved without punishment or intervention aimed at changing an officer’s behavior. The analysis covers about 3,000 complaints during that period; five officers were fired.

The Minneapolis union contract is not unusual. Dozens of other contracts across the United States contain provisions that stymie efforts to hold cops accountable for violence and other alleged abuses, a 2017 Reuters investigation found. The news agency examined contracts in 82 cities for that article and found that 46 required departments to erase disciplinary records, some after just six months. The absence of a paper trail makes firing officers with a history of abuses difficult, lawyers and police chiefs say.

Compounding the challenge for citizens seeking justice: a U.S. legal doctrine called qualified immunity. A Reuters investigation last month found that the concept, created and reinforced in a series of U.S. Supreme Court rulings, increasingly shields from civil liability officers who are accused of using excessive force.

“You have immune police officers who are beyond punishment because of their union contract as well as constitutional law,” said

Gloria Browne-Marshall, a professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York.

“That combination leads to an arrogance of a police officer who can kill a man in broad daylight while being taped and believe he can get away with it,” said Browne-Marshall, who teaches constitutional law. “When there are no consequences, that’s when people act with impunity.”

Another senior former military officer has denounced President Donald Trump's threat this week to use troops to suppress violent protests in the US.

The ex-Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman, Gen Martin Dempsey, told National Public Radio that Mr Trump's remarks were "very troubling" and "dangerous".

Mr Trump's current and former defence secretaries have also spoken out.

"The idea that the president would take charge of the situation using the military was troubling to me," said Gen Dempsey in rare public remarks on Thursday.

"The idea that the military would be called in to dominate and to suppress what, for the most part, were peaceful protests - admittedly, where some had opportunistically turned them violent - and that the military would somehow come in and calm that situation was very dangerous to me," he added.

bbc.com

Protest organisers to be fined amid outbreak fears as CHO warns against mass gathering

Incoming police chief Shane Patton says protest organisers will be fined if tomorrow’s planned protest goes ahead, hours after the state’s Chief Health Officer urged for the illegal event to be cancelled.

Protest organisers to be fined amid outbreak fears as CHO warns against mass gathering

Incoming police chief Shane Patton says protest organisers will be fined if tomorrow’s planned protest goes ahead, hours after the state’s Chief Health Officer urged for the illegal event to be cancelled.

Wait, the premier said the protest was ok and now police are saying they’re going to fine people?

40,000 have expressed interest, that’s a lot of people.

“Victoria’s Chief Health Officer has urged organisers of tomorrow’s planned protest to cancel the illegal event.”

As clear as mud.

I got most of that music from RRR the Ghost who Walks, Steve Walker. He was an arrogant prick, but his show was brilliant. Massively influenced my taste in music
TISM once crashed his show as he was going live to air, with a running lawn mower. They then tied him up, grabbed the microphone and started asking him a series of questions, referring to him as Jeremy.

I miss TISM.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it was abhorrent what happened to Floyd, I felt the same way about the Australian lady who was shot dead by the same police force but I think blaming the system or society is a bit of a copout. These individuals failed their duty of care, unless there is a directive from the chain of command or an institutional acceptance of this type of behaviour then I think people are just looking to pander their own political agendas or ideologies. Saying this is a racial issue is insulting to people like the chief of police there who I am sure isn't advocating racial hatred of his own people.

People all over the world are just taking advantage of Floyd's death to push their own agenda, it is opportunism much like the rioters and looters.

I think very little of Trump but he has performed about as well as I expected him to. He didn't have any grand dreams, he didn't make promises he didn't try to keep, there is obviously a large enough base there that want someone like him to lead the country. I was more disappointed with Obama, because he had a silver tongue, he talked the talk but didn't walk the walk. He spoke righteously but was completely ineffectual and corrupt, didn't even hide the fact he was leaving politics to go get his Wall street royalties for riding shotgun throughout his administration.

There is corruption but I think it is all about money and power, I do not believe it is about racial hatred. Before Sanders was running for office he used to say open borders was a Koch brother conspiracy to crash wages with a flood of unskilled workers, when he became a Democrat he was obviously pro open borders because a lot of unskilled migrants means more people who default to voting for Democrats.

FBI attorney general said that "the voices of peaceful protest are being hijacked by radical elements"

Trump blames Antifa and the radical left.
Minnesota governor blames domestic terrorists or foreign influences might be subverting peaceful protests and turning them to violence. He even hinted that white supremacists and drug cartels may be fueling the violence.

Everyone has an agenda, everyone has their own bogeyman. The problem is people aren't being held accountable for their own actions.

Groups like Antifa are just opportunists looking to gain political advantage, the people who loot and riot probably wouldn't have pissed on Floyd if he was on fire, they certainly didn't do anything other than video David Dorn as he was bleeding out on the street.

It isn't all left vs right, my point is people are suspicious about far right ideologies because of how harmful they are to society at large, yet we don't have the same level of awareness of toxic far left ideologies. Historically far left ideologies have been far more destructive than far right, if you use a body count as a metric for comparing vile ideologies.

I think the danger is how subverted left ideology has become. To highlight how blind the left has become to horrendous ideologies, a group got an academic journal to publish their rewrite of Mein Kampf as a feminist manifesto. https://www.timesofisrael.com/duped...-rewrite-of-mein-kampf-as-feminist-manifesto/

Do you think it would be remotely possible to do the same thing with any right wing group? Our guard is up when it comes to far right propaganda, it is not against far left propaganda and people will just parrot far left agenda without even realising what they are doing or what groups they are supporting believe and want the world to become. it is truly frightening how easy it is to manipulate even well educated people.

You first paragraph was spot on, you said this issue is racism, you have come to the conclusion that it is because of Floyd's race. You say it isn't about left vs right but you are just parroting left propaganda.

I don't know if race was a motivation. The four officers have been charged, they will get their day in court and I am sure they will concoct a bullshit story to justify their horrific actions. But I don't go for the race card when the Somali-African shot dead the white Australian woman. Black officers kill black civilians as well, it is not all about race then I assume.

People will come to whatever conclusions they want to believe, the reality is that people are largely incompetent and I am sure these police officers have mishandled the public of every race poorly in the past, nobody has croaked on them before now. It is more than likely not racism, nor is it likely political... that doesn't stop people injecting their own agenda into every situation.

Again, sticking to the racism topic -

Just because there are Black police officers, or Black congressmen, or Black senators, or Black governors, or one Black President out of 45 does not mean that systemic racism isn't alive and well in the US. If you believe that, then you well and truly have your head buried in the sand. Likewise, if you think that a person from a minority background can't be a part of a system that targets their own.

Policing in its historical evolution has always been deeply entrenched as itself a project of racial violence. The policing of runaway slaves, the creation of the RCMP here in Canada, and the role it played in the displacement and genocide of Indigenous peoples, policing in all of its iterations has always been a form of harm against Black peoples, against Indigenous peoples, against any peoples who where racialized as not white, including Irish peoples, and peoples of lower social orders. In and of itself, its an institution that's not violent as an aberration, it's an institution that is grounded and embedded as violent. It's an institution that's functioning exactly as it was meant to do, which makes reforming it difficult.

Policing also historically avoids holding its colleagues accountable for their actions, and this also creates an environment for racism to thrive.

Charles P. Wilson, a retired Black police Chief and President of the National Association of Black Law Enforcement Officers said this about George Floyd's death:

"What people have to recognize and accept [is] the institution of policing has been inherently biased against people of color and low income [people], and it was designed to be that way,” he says. “So the actions of the officers are not surprising"

"Wilson helped author a study published by the London School of Economics that found most black officers surveyed indicated that racial profiling does exist among police and that bias was condoned by their agencies."

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2020/06/03/black-police-officers-protests

Police do not provide safety for Black communities or Indigenous communities or communities who are living in poverty, and there remains no accountability for the trauma caused by their actions. The persistent voice of mass protest is a mechanism of desperation to press for accountability, and has been for decades upon decades now. Our first step to finding solutions is to listen to these people's lived reality, not dismiss it as something that doesn't exist.

It'll be interesting to see if this intimidates. We'll see how obedient Melbourne public really is.

Jeezuz on the eve of the protests this hits the press.

Like the Kaiser Chiefs I predict a riot

You'd wanna check yourself first.

The dangerous aspect is the measured outrage for anyone who doesn't exhibit the blind acceptance that is placed upon such issues.

Can anyone explain to me how protestors were recently allowed to be armed and take the steps of government and there was basically no real response from authorities and now practically everywhere you look is images of seemingly peaceful protestors being tear gassed or physically assaulted?

Police do not provide safety for Black communities or Indigenous communities or communities who are living in poverty, and there remains no accountability for the trauma caused by their actions.

See, this is why open minded people get turned off these causes. Hyperbole and exaggerated statements.

Police have never saved the life of a black person? Really? No you don’t really believe that. I think over the years police have saved the life of thousands, ten of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of black people. Thus they have by definition provided safety.

Are the cops perfect? Clearly not. Are there racial issues? I’m more than happy to agree to that. But don’t discount all of the good work they have done because of a comparatively small number of scum bags that have failed the community.

comparatively small number of scum bags that have failed the community.

This is a symptom not the cause.

The cause is systemic whereby people with the traits that make them scum bags continue to be allowed positions of authority.

You can remove a small number of scumbags but if you don't fix the system then these you removed are over time replaced by more scumbags.

And around we go...

This is a symptom not the cause.

The cause is systemic whereby people with the traits that make them scum bags continue to be allowed positions of authority.

You can remove a small number of scumbags but if you don't fix the system then these you removed are over time replaced by more scumbags.

And around we go...

Ok, I’m not going to argue with that.

What would be the changes you would make to law enforcement?

I downloaded Tapatalk to "enhance" my forum browsing experience and streamline my phone apps. What a big piece of s**t it is. It's easier to browse on Chrome for Android.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back