Play Nice Random Chat Thread V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cost of decommissioning a nuclear power plant is factored into the cost of construction, in accordance with the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission a trust fund is established with the construction of the plant that is there for the decommission of the plant, that fund is not under direct administrative control of the operating company so they can't drain the fund and the money is there even if they go arse over ****. They periodically re-evaluate the cost of decommissioning and make sure there are sufficient funds in the trust fund, that excess they may have to pay from time to time is factored in the operating cost of the facility.

USA has decommissioned 10 reactors over the years, and have 18 more that are in the process of being decommissioned.

They have more info here: https://nei.org/resources/fact-sheets/decommissioning-nuclear-power-plants

"Under NRC regulations, licensees are required to submit their decommissioning funding estimates to the NRC every two years during operation. The NRC staff reviews the estimates and reports to the commission on the status of funding. Licensees have set aside nearly $53 billion for decommissioning, a 15 percent increase from the previous reporting cycle two years earlier. All but three reactors had enough money set aside to cover their estimated costs, and these three resolved their shortfalls shortly after submitting their reports."

USA has 104 nuclear reactors in operation. American standards have been quite high since the early days of nuclear power. I think if we were to go down that path there is a lot we can learn from other countries, we wouldn't need to repeat the same mistakes.
Fair enough to say that however the latrobe valleys generators rehabilitation funds are all reported to be "underwhelming" .

Hobart most expensive Capital city to rent in Aust now based on affordability.

Prices are insane.

The worlds lithium needs come from hard rock mines not brine. Again Australia has the highest grade and largest deposit of battery grade lithium.

Yes, Australia's reserves come from rock, the bulk of the lithium reserves comes from South American countries, from salts and the process is much like fracking, environmentally disastrous.

We have an estimated 2.8m metric tons of lithium, Chile has 8.6m, Argentina 1.7m, China 1.0m, USA 630k, stuff all elsewhere that we know about.

These volumes sound like a lot, but it isn't really.

We need to stop exporting our precious resources on the cheap as raw materials and there should be the focus to make finished products that are worth a magnitude more than the raw materials. We have everything we need to make lithium batteries here but we have a small-minded mentality. It is that similar small-minded aspect which makes us afraid of nuclear power.

Fair enough to say that however the latrobe valleys generators rehabilitation funds are all reported to be "underwhelming" .

Oh yeah, we have half-arse everything. Why would we stop at our power stations.

I think the point is that we need to mature as a nation, we need to ditch the banana republic mentality.

Ok I think nuclear reacting power and green hydrogen or whatever is so exciting sure, I cant wait for next chapter.

Any update on condition of Ben The Other Dean?

Yeah, got an update today as it happens.

Right now he's still in the induced coma. However, as of Sunday the doctors have begun the often lengthy process of gradually weaning him off some of the medication that he has been administered - and that his body has been reliant on - since the accident, in order to attempt to 'wake' him from the coma. As I say, this is a slow and delicate process that can sometimes take weeks and weeks. And unfortunately, until Ben regains some form of consciousness, it's still very difficult to determine the extent of the damage. So yeah, still pretty much a day-to-day proposition at this point. Fingers remain firmly crossed.

Cheers for asking. Will keep y'all updated with further developments.

Anti LGBTI MEP resigns after being caught at a gay orgy..
what’s with these sexual repressive right wing dudes? Nobody cares who you sleep with so why do you bang on about it yourself.

Anti LGBTI MEP resigns after being caught at a gay orgy..
what’s with these sexual repressive right wing dudes? Nobody cares who you sleep with so why do you bang on about it yourself.

no surprises there really, historically those who bang on the most about other peoples sexual orientations are generally those with the biggest insecurities themselves.

Melbourne Football Club asks for a army of University slave labour..

e0802307bf3a04c8f276a80ebbee4c2f

4 positions of up to 25 hours a week of unpaid labour to replace roles that were spilled during COVID. Good experience but sheesh, where do you draw the line?
??

there is literally no excuse for a large organisation to advertise free positions.
it’s disgraceful.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

??

there is literally no excuse for an large organisation to advertise free positions.
it’s disgraceful.
Plenty of industries do unpaid internships to allow current students or graduates who have not secured employment to get industry experience, and to assist the org to get the basics done. From my understanding the number of high performance sporting roles are very rare compared to the number of graduates so internships provide a good opportunity to those wanting to get into the industry at the highest level in the country.

Undoubtedly Melbourne see this primarily as a cost saving exercise for 2021 though, that is clear. It's also an opportunity for them to train peeps for free who they then may choose to employ once the $$$ starts flowing again. I'm uneasy with the duration of this and how obvious it is that Melbourne are looking to get s**t done for free, but there will be many who will jump at this chance.

Plenty of industries do unpaid internships to allow current students or graduates who have not secured employment to get industry experience, and to assist the org to get the basics done. From my understanding the number of high performance sporting roles are very rare compared to the number of graduates so internships provide a good opportunity to those wanting to get into the industry at the highest level in the country.

Undoubtedly Melbourne see this primarily as a cost saving exercise for 2021 though, that is clear. It's also an opportunity for them to train peeps for free who they then may choose to employ once the $$$ starts flowing again. I'm uneasy with it, but there will be many who will jump at this chance.
But you don’t advertise... those kids desperate enough would’ve already hit up the club.

and unpaid work should be limited to seeing if a kid will work out, not ongoing yearly contract, that’s slave labour.

if they’ve got an issue fulfilling core activity with minimum wage kids, maybe they should be looking at pay structure throughout the organisation.

Because somethings seriously out of whack if they can’t afford to pay a couple of kids..

Last edited:
But you don’t advertise...

and unpaid work should be limited to seeing if a kid will work out, not ongoing yearly contract, that’s slave labour.

if they’ve got an issue fore filling core activity with minimum wage kids, maybe they should be looking at pay structure throughout the organisation.

somethings really out of whack if they can’t afford to pay a couple of kids..
Of course you advertise. It's clear the roles are voluntary. No one is getting themselves into something they are not aware of here and advertising is the best way to let people know that the opportunity exists.

Unpaid internships are a reality in many industries mate, its how people get ahead in highly competitive markets. And breaking into the AFL is the pinnacle for most in this country, so they will jump at the chance to work for an AFL club for a period of time for free. That's the reality.

There are a heap of uni courses around the country that provide graduates with skill sets to work within the sporting industry in a wide range of support roles. Let's say there are 2,000 such graduates per year in Australia. At the elite level of sports there are maybe a few thousand such jobs in Australia meaning that over the last 5 years there are 10,000 graduates out there looking to compete for a limited number of jobs, most of which will already have been filled by people who have been in the industry for a long time.

Of that group of graduates I can guarantee you that there will be some who are employed at a lower level that will seriously consider leaving their current paid role to work for free at an AFL club, and pick up some other paid job on the side. Those who are straight out of uni will see it as a great first gig despite the lack of pay. Those in their final year will see it as a good chance to be job ready when they graduate next year.

Yes, its a bad look. Yes, it's clear that this is a club that is having to tighten its belt but wanting to have the same outcomes. But this isn't slave labour. No one is forcing people to apply. That said, I would hope that the AFL has eyes over this, and that these 4 roles aren't being asked to do more than what is being advertised, and with the expectation that they will require more support and supervision, more mentoring and oversight than a normal employee. There is a real prospect of this kind of arrangement being abused, be that unintentionally or not.

Of course you advertise. It's clear the roles are voluntary. No one is getting themselves into something they are not aware of here and advertising is the best way to let people know that the opportunity exists.

Unpaid internships are a reality in many industries mate, its how people get ahead in highly competitive markets. And breaking into the AFL is the pinnacle for most in this country, so they will jump at the chance to work for an AFL club for a period of time for free. That's the reality.

There are a heap of uni courses around the country that provide graduates with skill sets to work within the sporting industry in a wide range of support roles. Let's say there are 2,000 such graduates per year in Australia. At the elite level of sports there are maybe a few thousand such jobs in Australia meaning that over the last 5 years there are 10,000 graduates out there looking to compete for a limited number of jobs, most of which will already have been filled by people who have been in the industry for a long time.

Of that group of graduates I can guarantee you that there will be some who are employed at a lower level that will seriously consider leaving their current paid role to work for free at an AFL club, and pick up some other paid job on the side. Those who are straight out of uni will see it as a great first gig despite the lack of pay. Those in their final year will see it as a good chance to be job ready when they graduate next year.

Yes, its a bad look. Yes, it's clear that this is a club that is having to tighten its belt but wanting to have the same outcomes. But this isn't slave labour. No one is forcing people to apply. That said, I would hope that the AFL has eyes over this, and that these 4 roles aren't being asked to do more than what is being advertised, and with the expectation that they will require more support and supervision, more mentoring and oversight than a normal employee. There is a real prospect of this kind of arrangement being abused, be that unintentionally or not.
Just because an industry is highly competitive doesn’t mean the best person for that position is someone who has the ability to work for free...
that isn’t merit based.

and this are entry level positions of course they require more support and supervision, that happens everywhere, hence the reduced pay..

This is not a company with a couple of employees, we’re talking about an organisation that’s turning over $50 million, to push their economic failure onto a couple of kids is wrong..

Last edited:
Just because an industry is highly competitive doesn’t mean the best person for that position is someone who has the ability to work for free...
that isn’t merit based.
Oh, I agree. As I said, this is clearly Melbourne penny pinching post COVID. There are undoubtedly more qualified people out there who would normally be paid to do the work.

and this are entry level positions of course they require more support and supervision, that happens everywhere, hence the reduced pay..
Well, no, adequate supervision is not necessarily provided for roles such as these. Given these volunteers can have little to no recourse to address issues that may arise the roles can be open to abuse. Many of these internship roles can be under supervised because they are not 'real jobs' so to speak. If I were the AFL I would be requesting Melbourne provide me with a detailed program of support for these roles that includes a clear PD, line management, a plan for development of interns/volunteers, a regular meeting schedule and a set of metrics against the plan that is required for review a month before the role finishes.

And we’re talking about an organisation that’s turning over $50 million mate, not a company with a couple of employees. To push their economic failure onto a couple of kids is wrong..
An org that WAS turning over $50mil, that isn't this or next year but still wants the same amount of work done. Right or wrong, there is a market out there that will jump at the opportunity.

Only a court can make a decision on whether a position is a genuine volunteering position or in reality constitutes an employment relationship - not the advertisement and not the label that a club puts on it.

Labels are far from everything in employment law. Simply calling it a volunteer gig and advertising it as such does not in and of itself make it so. Courts will look towards the substance of the relationship.

Only a court can make a decision on whether a position is a genuine volunteering position or in reality constitutes an employment relationship - not the advertisement and not the label that a club puts on it.

Labels are far from everything in employment law. Simply calling it a volunteer gig and advertising it as such does not in and of itself make it so. Courts will look towards the substance of the relationship.
Indeed. MFC are on thin ice with this arrangement if the deets on here are anything to go by: https://www.fairwork.gov.au/how-we-...nd-guides/fact-sheets/unpaid-work/unpaid-work

Volunteering:
A volunteer is someone who does work for the main purpose of benefitting someone else, such as a church, sporting club, government school, charity or community organisation. Volunteers are not employees and don't have to be paid. As with work experience and internship arrangements, all relevant factors must be considered to determine whether a person is a genuine volunteer or whether, in fact, an employment relationship exists even though the worker is called a 'volunteer'.

Key characteristics of a genuine volunteering arrangement include:
  • the parties did not intend to create a legally binding employment relationship
  • the volunteer is under no obligation to attend the workplace or perform work
  • the volunteer doesn't expect to be paid for their work.
The more formalised that volunteer work arrangements become (for instance if the volunteer is expected to work according to a regular roster) the greater the possibility that an employment relationship will be found. It is less likely that an employment relationship will be found to exist where the volunteer work is undertaken for selfless purposes or for furthering a particular belief in the not-for-profit sector.

In looking through the information on that page it looks like MFC are playing with the wording of the role to get around having to pay. For unpaid internships:

• Who benefits from the arrangement? The main benefit from a genuine unpaid work arrangement should flow to the person undertaking the role. If the business or organisation is gaining a significant benefit from the person's work, an employment relationship is more likely to exist.

Oh, I agree. As I said, this is clearly Melbourne penny pinching post COVID. There are undoubtedly more qualified people out there who would normally be paid to do the work.

Well, no, adequate supervision is not necessarily provided for roles such as these. Given these volunteers can have little to no recourse to address issues that may arise the roles can be open to abuse. Many of these internship roles can be under supervised because they are not 'real jobs' so to speak. If I were the AFL I would be requesting Melbourne provide me with a detailed program of support for these roles that includes a clear PD, line management, a plan for development of interns/volunteers, a regular meeting schedule and a set of metrics against the plan that is required for review a month before the role finishes.

An org that WAS turning over $50mil, that isn't this or next year but still wants the same amount of work done. Right or wrong, there is a market out there that will jump at the opportunity.
They should’ve asked Gawn if he’d play the first four games for free, Or Gary Pert would happily go without for a couple of months, I wonder what the response they’ll get?

there’s a power imbalance that the club has taken advantage of.. it’s wrong.

They should’ve asked Gawn if he’d play the first four games for free, Or Gary Pert would happily go without for a couple of months, I wonder what the response they’ll get?

there’s a power imbalance that the club has taken advantage of.. it’s wrong.
Again, I agree. Hence the heavy oversight requirement.

i am seeing Scamper tomorrow (my tomorrow). anything you all want me to say to him.

I am not sure why it would be a good option 15 years ago but not now. When you factor real construction costs (not subsidised vs unsubsidised) and you compare costs over the lifetime then nuclear is the cheapest source of power when you maximise the output. It is much less cost effective to make smaller reactors.

I think the best outcome would be to build a single high output nuclear reactor then supplement that with renewable energy, particularly solar.

We currently have 3 coal plants in Victoria with 2200 megawatts, 1050 megawatts and 1480 megawatts plus 7 gas turbines for a total of approximately 1,900 megawatts. These ten plants could all be replaced by one nuclear plant that produces more power than all of those combined. it would provide a lot more power for a lot cheaper over the lifetime of the plant and produce way less emissions than even renewable energy.

The other major problem we have with a dispersed energy generation is the power grid isn't designed to carry such loads over the entire grid, we only have a small amount of renewable energy generation and none of our solar farms are allowed to run at 100% output because it would overload our grid and cause long blackouts. We would need to rebuild our entire energy grid to basically be able to just plug in solar farms anywhere into it. Most solar farms are forced to operate at such low outputs for the stability of the network that they are not economically feasible, which is why so many operators have pulled out of solar power generation in Australia.

When you have centralised power stations it is a lot cheaper/easier to just have that part of the grid that has to take that kind of power load than it is to have a system be able to take high loads anywhere along it.

ideally, it would be better to have a more robust grid, but it isn't cost effective.

I know we are building solar batteries but the amount of power they will hold is pretty trivial to what we would need for it to be an alternative. Batteries are also insanely expensive and very harmful to the environment to make.

I still think renewables will and should play a significant role in our plans, I think it is desirable to reduce how much we utilise fossil fuels, globally. The major issue with nuclear is it is very expensive to establish, this isn't a realistic option for much poorer nations.

I think it is kind of stupid for us to be digging up all this uranium, selling it to foreign countries and not using it ourselves for power. We already use uranium to produce much needed isotopes for medical needs, we produce and store nuclear waste in several places already.

If nuclear is bad we need to stop being hypocrites and selling it. If it is good enough to sell to half-arsed countries to use in power generation it is good enough for us to do it properly. We need to grow up as a nation, we need to be less reliant on other nations, we need to be at the forefront of latest technology and research.

This is a really long post and as I'm currently camping I'm not in a position to do more than a quick scim read.

The argument you're making also made sense ten years ago. This following picture shows why it's fallen on its head.
mb87bpepln261.png
Battery storage prices are following a similar trajectory as wind and solar PV, and will likely make sense economically on their own within 18-24 months.
I'm working for a company that builds and operates solar plants in Chile. We're looking at installing batteries at each of our plants. That solves all the baseload bs.

As far as nuclear goes, you can't build one these days without the government taking on all the risk. Private equity won't touch them because of the massive lead time (10-15 years from planning to operation compared to 18 months for renewables), it's more expensive per MWh produced, and you have waste to deal with.

Look at all the new nuclear projects in the last 20 years worldwide, half of them have gone bankrupt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back