Play Nice Random Chat Thread VII

Remove this Banner Ad

How are electric cars going to work?

Not mechanically, I mean from a logistical pov.

Is it possible to recharge them in two minutes?

How many fossil fuel vehicles are refueling at any one moment in Melbourne? Is it possible to add that drain to Melbourne's electricity network without breaking it?

To deal with the first question it might be possible to have replaceable battery systems and recharge the batteries over time but that raises a whole lot of other questions as well. (Would they be standardised for all vehicles or would some vehicles by only able to use specific battery types etc etc)
Yeah i cant really comment on that , my knowledge is derived on changes to the generation, transmission and distribution system over the last 35 years.

Electrification of the vehicle fleet is really very much in its infancy, there is capacity for energy to be transfered from charged veihcle back into the grid which doesnt really get discussed much. I have doubts about the totality of veicles that can be energised as well, maybe trailers will be equipped with electric motors and batteries to take some of the burden from the prime mover? I suppose nothings off the table given the relative infancy of the most recent changes.

Europe will likely be a pretty good litmis test as they traditionally have the tightest environmental laws.

there is capacity for energy to be transfered from charged veihcle back into the grid which doesnt really get discussed much.

Bidirectional V2X charging is the future, of that I am absolutely convinced.

Why drop $15k-20k on a household battery that has a capacity of 10 to 15kwh, when you can get an EV for $60k that has a 70kwh battery with bidirectional charging?

Makes so much more sense by every metric.

Why drop $15k-20k on a household battery that has a capacity of 10 to 15kwh, when you can get an EV for $60k that has a 70kwh battery with bidirectional charging?

There is undoubtedly massive flexibility regarding this.

Given everyone's driving patterns vary at any given time there will be many batteries connected to the grid in various state of charge indefinitely. Thats a huge pool of energy to draw from for ancilary services such as frequency influance.

2nd cars that pretty well do the morning and evening school runs and the odd trip to the shops are very good candidites. Then you get the odd "only driven to church on sunday" example thats even more suited. The caviet of course is some people may need to accept that occasionally optimal charging times may be limited to trickle charging or none at all on rare occasions but thats no different to now as when our power goes out we cant charge or get fuel as the petrol station pumps are electric and power outages here are not rare.

Last edited:

All you need are a couple of wind turbines stuck in your yard to top it off
Three-quarters of all Americans say they would be comfortable living near solar farms while nearly 7 in 10 report feeling the same about wind turbines. And these attitudes appear to remain largely consistent regardless of where people live. According to the poll, 69 percent of residents in rural and suburban areas say they would be comfortable if wind turbines were constructed in their area, as do 66 percent of urban residents.

General comfort with green energy infrastructure crosses party lines, with 66 percent of Republicans saying they are comfortable with a field of solar panels being built in their community and 59 percent comfortable with wind turbines. Among Democrats, 87 percent are comfortable with solar farms and 79 percent with wind farms. By contrast, fewer than half of Democrats or Republicans would welcome a nuclear power plant in their community.

power.JPG

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-solutions/2023/10/03/solar-panels-wind-turbines-nimby/

In short, most people are OK with it.

Just bought my first house.

Never expected eye-watering levels of debt to feel this good, tbh.
its definitely a melancholy kind of feeling. the best feeling is when you start to get a bit of the principle paid off and a smaller slice of your repayments are going in interest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I spent all yesterday as someone in their late 30s doing things like researching solar rebates and thinking "wow this is what adults can do".

Its been momentous.
Just think, trips to Bunnings now are mandatory

Just think, trips to Bunnings now are mandatory
After decades of being disfranchised from home ownership, over the course of the last 48 hours, I now understand why its the single most trusted brand in the country.

I finally get to control my home and they have 80% of what I need to flip it for a profit.

I spent all yesterday as someone in their late 30s doing things like researching solar rebates and thinking "wow this is what adults can do".

Its been momentous.
Welcome to suddenly caring about the Reserve Bank of Australia.

Especially in a spread out suburban sprawl country like Australia where grid/distribution network replacement or upgrade issues are immense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back