Random NON FOOTY thoughts not worthy of a thread: Edition II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically because it caricatured generic characteristics of a race rather than caricaturing particular features of an individual, and in this case used features that have been drawn over centuries to demean black people and highlight how they are less human than white people.

There has been some interesting discussion out of this about how convinced many Australians are that nothing can be racist if it wasn't intended to be racist. There is a real need to listen more and consider the effects rather than the intent.
if you knit pick anything you can find something wrong with it, i think it did look like Serena (well as much as a cartoon can) if he drew the exact same photo sor another tennis player and had white skin no one would be saying a work. Anyway it's a point of view i guess, you think its racist i think its not.

On another note,
Women tennis players make more per hour then Men at grand slams, they play best of 3 sets and the prize money is the same, this is a disadvantage to men and needs to change, also if Serena played on a 100% level playing field she wouldn't have a single grand slam to her name and no one would know who she is because she would never have beaten the likes of Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and probably anyone in the top 100. So her complaining about things being sexist needs to be looked at from a different angle.

if you knit pick anything you can find something wrong with it, i think it did look like Serena (well as much as a cartoon can) if he drew the exact same photo sor another tennis player and had white skin no one would be saying a work. Anyway it's a point of view i guess, you think its racist i think its not.

On another note,
Women tennis players make more per hour then Men at grand slams, they play best of 3 sets and the prize money is the same, this is a disadvantage to men and needs to change, also if Serena played on a 100% level playing field she wouldn't have a single grand slam to her name and no one would know who she is because she would never have beaten the likes of Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and probably anyone in the top 100. So her complaining about things being sexist needs to be looked at from a different angle.
Right on brother. Stick it to the feminazis. I’m reliably informed she also only practices 60% as much, her equipment and coaches and travel and accommodation only costs 60% as much because she’s a woman too. And the tournament organizers only charge 60% as much for tickets and the tv networks only 60% as much for ad spots, so it’s all she deserves.

Right on brother. Stick it to the feminazis. I’m reliably informed she also only practices 60% as much, her equipment and coaches and travel and accommodation only costs 60% as much because she’s a woman too. And the tournament organizers only charge 60% as much for tickets and the tv networks only 60% as much for ad spots, so it’s all she deserves.

What you don't agree?

On another note,
Now that's just a silly non-argument. Men get paid the same whether their matches run five, four or three sets. Also, good and interesting players draw crowds and TV audiences and sponsors that pay for everyone's prize money - noone could seriously suggest that Serena Williams hasn't brought the sport more than she's taken out of it.

Now that's just a silly non-argument. Men get paid the same whether their matches run five, four or three sets. Also, good and interesting players draw crowds and TV audiences and sponsors that pay for everyone's prize money - noone could seriously suggest that Serena Williams hasn't brought the sport more than she's taken out of it.
You don't have to agree but male tennis players like djokovic and Federer do, longer match times mean more adds and more advertising dollars, and rating always favour the male tennis athletes.

You don't have to agree but male tennis players like djokovic and Federer do, longer match times mean more adds and more advertising dollars, and rating always favour the male tennis athletes.
Mate, don’t even bother trying to argue with the Queen of self-righteous morality.

Serena was drawn with lips and every racist caricature has been drawn with lips so it must be racist!

Mate, don’t even bother trying to argue with the Queen of self-righteous morality.

Serena was drawn with lips and every racist caricature has been drawn with lips so it must be racist!
Thanks for the tip, i thought i could have a relevant conversation, i guess i was wrong.

The age our outrage is truly upon us.

When a caricature of Mick Jagger gets drawn with big lips is it still racist?

Or it’s only racist for non Caucasian people?

You know, I find it absolutely fascinating that the North Melbourne BigFooty board has such a high concentration of people who are so well versed in black history, art history and the craft of making comics that they're able to unequivocally contradict those who have extensive knowledge, or are even experts, in these areas.

It really is incredible. I wonder if this phenomenon exists on other boards as well.

I didn't think the cartoon was particularly racist even with the context of finding out who the artist was ( I wouldn't be surprised if he and the paper were deliberately skirting the line though). That said I understand why there is so much focus on the lips, given how Africans and African Americans have been caricatured in the past.

You know, I find it absolutely fascinating that the North Melbourne BigFooty board has such a high concentration of people who are so well versed in black history, art history and the craft of making comics that they're able to unequivocally contradict those who have extensive knowledge, or are even experts, in these areas.

It really is incredible. I wonder if this phenomenon exists on other boards as well.

News.com.au had ‘Jim Crowe’ all wrong two days ago...a nasty word apparently...clueless of the systemic racism

Is it really that hard to understand why African American people have objected to the portrayal of Williams in the cartoon?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you think of the below poll?

Is the Czech Republic a country of overt racists or just a population that gives zero *s when it comes to oppressed people and their history?

It's the only real poll I've seen online asking whether the cartoon was sexist or racist, and what a damning result...

Screenshot_20180912-182005_Facebook.jpg

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

They would also object to you calling them African American if you want to sound all high and mighty.
Is that right? How many black Americans have you met?

Because I've met quite a few, and they referred to themselves and their community as "black" and as "African American" at different times and in the context of different discussions.

Is the Czech Republic a country of overt racists or just a population that gives zero ****s when it comes to oppressed people and their history?

It's the only real poll I've seen online asking whether the cartoon was sexist or racist, and what a damning result...

View attachment 558102

So let me get this straight.

The population of an Eastern European country is an authority on what is considered racist to African Americans, but actual African Americans, other expert cartoonists, black representative bodies and people with in an intimate knowledge of black history and how those caricature tropes has been used to dehumanise and other African Americans aren't? What kind of logic is that?

I'll also point out that I don't think you're a racist if you don't find the cartoon racist. Naive? Absolutely. Ignorant? Sure. Completely lacking the knowledge to make that judgement? Definitely. But racist? No.

Is the Czech Republic a country of overt racists or just a population that gives zero ****s when it comes to oppressed people and their history?

View attachment 558102

Czech's obviously dont think it's racist.

I'll ask you the same question that Dus has ignored. Do you understand why African Americans would find the cartoon offensive?

They really wouldn't, or at the very least the VAST majority wouldn't (there's always a few crazed outliers in every demographic). Spider asked a valid question IMO.

Because I've met quite a few, and they referred to themselves and their community as "black" and as "African American" at different times and in the context of different discussions.

The population of an Eastern European country is an authority on what is considered racist to African Americans, but actual African Americans, other expert cartoonists, black representative bodies and people with in an intimate knowledge of black history and how those caricature tropes has been used to dehumanise and other African Americans aren't? What kind of logic is that?

I'll also point out that I don't think you're a racist if you don't find the cartoon racist. Naive? Absolutely. Ignorant? Sure. Completely lacking the knowledge to make that judgement? Definitely. But racist? No.

I lived in the Us for 3 years so i've met plenty and i can safely say they dont like being called African american, and i specifically asked some of my mates and they said, im an American i've never been to Africa and dont know anyone there, black is fine.
Mind you this is the people ive met. why dont you tell me about your experience mate.

I would have thought Czechs are fairly progressive and did care about oppressed people considering their history. Maybe the recent African/Asian asylum seekers coming into the region has changed their thinking.

More likely they are simply unaware of historical, and arguably racist, caricatures of Africans and African American. Most likely all they see is a caricature of a literal event that transpired.

I lived in the Us for 3 years so i've met plenty and i can safely say they dont like being called African american, and i specifically asked some of my mates and they said, im an American i've never been to Africa and dont know anyone there, black is fine.
Mind you this is the people ive met. why dont you tell me about your experience mate.

Ah. When you said 'object', I assumed it was a bit more forceful than preferring to be called/considered American and American alone. I very much doubt that in this case they would have been upset at the label at large, yeah?

Did I say they are an authority? I just thought it was a very interesting result, dont you? After all, this nation was under a communist Russian government for the best part of 50 years, so would know the hardships an oppressed people endure...

I also find it hard to believe you think that 99% of the Czech population are naive, ignorant and lack the knowledge to be able to decipher whether this cartoon had sexist or racial motives, or the correct judgement as you called it.

Maybe the rest of the world just doesnt give two *s about American culture and its historical blunders? Should they?

Is it really that hard to understand why African American people have objected to the portrayal of Williams in the cartoon?
Yes, I don’t find it racist.

The fact that people do also doesn’t bother me. In today’s day and age if there wasn’t an outcry about that it’d just be something else.

I wonder if the same people who are so outraged by this, are this outraged when their President is dropping bombs in different countries and cultures killing people.

Doubt it. This is far worse for them. Meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back