MRP / Trib. 2024 MRP Lotto thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Since when? Cunningham owes a duty of care to himself. He ran into a leading full forwards line, don’t want to get hit, dont run in there. If Cunningham didn’t run into the hole, he would’ve been fine.
If Wright wants to clean him up then he has to do in a legal way.

It should have been a free kick for collecting him high.

What amazes me is the AFL are saying that they are trying to protect the head. If Wright had attempted to spoil or mark the ball and made contact to Cunningham head then it's ok. If Wright had lifted his knee and made contact it would have been ok.

Expecting a player to change their mind in a split second is unreasonable.

The result is the same with a player being hit in the head and concussed.

I think the game has evolved so much now that the game is the issue and the AFL are deflecting the blame to the players. The game has always been a contact sport but the speed of the game and size of the players is contributing to the injuries being more severe.

The game has to be slowed down which i know everyone will hate. Reduce the number of interchanges and the interchange bench.

Since when? Cunningham owes a duty of care to himself. He ran into a leading full forwards line, don’t want to get hit, dont run in there. If Cunningham didn’t run into the hole, he would’ve been fine.

Cunningham - like all backs dropping into a hole to intercept expect contact - they don't expect to be KOed and suffer memory loss.

Not arguing against any of the head protection policies in place now, but I wonder if down the line if there is a serious injury where a player didn't protect themselves (because of suspensions to players who braced for contact) whether that would be grounds for suing the AFL?

Of course not.

But this was not friendly fire. This was 100kg forward knocking a smaller opposition out. You elect brace/bump and KO a player it has to be a suspension.
Well where does the duty of care line cease to exist? Only when the opposition does it?

I was throwing out hypotheticals for incidental contact. Why is it a suspension if opposition does it and not when a team mate does it?

Well where does the duty of care line cease to exist? Only when the opposition does it?

I was throwing out hypotheticals for incidental contact. Why is it a suspension if opposition does it and not when a team mate does it?
Wright braced for contact - it wasn't incidental - he plead guilty to making careless contact - not incidental contact.

Players don't get suspended for making deliberate contact let alone incidental contact with a team mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had both arms free, standing over the guy taunting. A suspension for that would be laughable.

If you get thrown to ground by a guy on his back, and you don't protect yourself, then it's on you.

Finlayson cops 3 weeks. Surprised tbh, although we don't know what was said and who was the target.
Yeah 3 seems harsh to me as well, def makes me wonder whether it was a closeted player he directed it at. Would also explain why he regretted it so much he apologized during the game.

Supposedly it was the f slur, and while I'd normally argue that ranking slurs/hate etc is a bit of a mug's game I would also say it's worse than **********, which had half the board not even understanding why/if it was considered a slur.

A few things - I'm not necessarily an advocate for suspension all things considered and would've been ok with a fine but that's without knowing more of the context.

I believe it was the 'f' word which is worse than the 'c' word as a homophobic slur (the 'c' word is used more as a general insult) although they do ultimately both negatively depict gays.

The main unknown here is who was the target. If it was said to a player who is homosexual then it's absolutely a no-brainer, the suspension is absolutely valid. There's probably players in the AFL who are known to be gay amongst their teammates/peers and if the recipient of the insult is homosexual then I don't anyone could or would complain. The trouble here is that we'll (rightly) never know who the recipient was and if the speculated is true then we definitely should never know who the recipient was. So it's hard to judge the penalty without the details. The AFL have the details and full context.

If it was just a random insult to a random player then I think I would be ok with a suspended sentence, large fine and further steps to apologise.

So it's hard to judge and form an opinion on the appropriateness of the punishment without knowing the full details.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back