Random NON FOOTY thoughts not worthy of a thread: Edition II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would happen if a team tried to play old fashioned footy and for example left brown maj thomas in the goal square... i really miss there being loads of space for forwards to lead into.. is there no turning back to this ever again? Its so frustrating watching players look up and have no one to kick it to

Awkward. Just watching the Paralympics, with a female javelin thrower from NZ, competing as an arm amputee.

Heath Francis, the expert commentator mentions that she comes from a sporting family, as her dad was an elite rugby player and her brother a wood chopper.

Dave Culbert then pipes up "but we need to point out, that's not how she lost her arm."

Ummmmm wtf?

The truth Deano?

Fricken loved them.

A style that getting older hasn't really suited, but Self Esteem in particular is an all time fave, probably 3 albums around that time that I wore out.

It won't feel the same knowing I'm on your Ignore list, but I understand.

Ah, hell. I thought I was on rock solid ground with that one. Sometimes I think you do this on purpose.

NTTAWWYCIM, of course.

*insert feelgood pic of Arnold, Willis, and Mr D*

Mate, for the record, I've never put anyone on ignore yet. And I'm not about to start with a quality poster like yourself.

(Although start having Gogglebox-related conversations with Gaso on here, and we might have to revisit this discussion.)

I didn't mind The Living End, but after a few albums got bored with them.

I'm by no means a card-carrying fan, but I reckon they're okay. Agree that the breakneck rockabilly stuff was a little limiting and formulaic (in their case), but they've grown into a pretty solid band. Last few albums have had plenty of decent stuff on them. Could be worth a revisit.

Two song wonders

Wut?

They've had a dozen Top 50 singles, with 8 of those going Top 20.

See, this is why I have you on non-existent ignore.

Awkward. Just watching the Paralympics, with a female javelin thrower from NZ, competing as an arm amputee.

Heath Francis, the expert commentator mentions that she comes from a sporting family, as her dad was an elite rugby player and her brother a wood chopper.

Dave Culbert then pipes up "but we need to point out, that's not how she lost her arm."

Ummmmm wtf?

I'm by no means a card-carrying fan, but I reckon they're okay. Agree that the breakneck rockabilly stuff was a little limiting and formulaic (in their case), but they've grown into a pretty solid band. Last few albums have had plenty of decent stuff on them. Could be worth a revisit.

Wut?

They've had a dozen Top 50 singles, with 8 of those going Top 20.

See, this is why I have you on non-existent ignore.

I used to know the drummer from Living End- Trav Demsey. Left the band after their first 2 albums because he wanted more input into the writing etc Bad move... Made a stack of cash though, thats for sure.

Quite enjoy TLE, their sound is uniquely Australian, you wouldn't find it anywhere else.

Same with Karnivool, Birds of Tokyo, Grinspoon etc

Last edited:
I used to know the drummer from Living End- Trav Demsey. Left the band after their first 2 albums because he wanted more input into the writing etc Bad move... Made a stack of cash though, thats for sure.
Bad move definitely, but they really lost something when Trav left after Roll On. As an old skins man myself I'm probably biased, but he made those albums.

Brilliant drummer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

L7 and Cosmic Psychos playing in Melbourne on 12 October for one show only.

In the words of the Psychos Instagram account, bloody grouse!

Brother-in-law a good mate of Billy Walsh. Mad * fan. Went to the footy with them a few times during their glorious 80's.
Wild boys back then. Went to one of the all time classic AFL games with them, the '84 second semi * v dawks.
Remember when you could still buy cans at the footy but they opened them for you ? You could by 2 only at a time. Boys proceeded to buy 24 opened cans and up to the old southern stand second level.
Needless to tell you the result halfway thru' the 2nd q.

Parenting's great, isn't it?

There we were on Sunday night, kids in bed early, flick the TV on and think to ourselves, "gee we haven't watched The Block for a couple of years, let's give this a go."

And then the 11 month old does a s**t so big it escapes his nappy, and when he's in the bath being tidied up, the 3.5 year old does a power spew all over her bedroom floor, and then again in the bathroom.

Good times.

Parenting's great, isn't it?

There we were on Sunday night, kids in bed early, flick the TV on and think to ourselves, "gee we haven't watched The Block for a couple of years, let's give this a go."

And then the 11 month old does a s**t so big it escapes his nappy, and when he's in the bath being tidied up, the 3.5 year old does a power spew all over her bedroom floor, and then again in the bathroom.

Good times.
Far better result than having to endure an hour of The Block.

My grandfather-in-law served the Red Army in WW2, or Great Patriotic War as the Russians call it. Had a few medals to show for it. He suffered injuries in the war, but to live through that hell to almost 100 years of age means he had a decent guardian angel.

War is hell, far better just to kill all the politicians instead.

I can't even fathom the horror of war. Europe in WW2 would have been hell on earth.

To think this is still going on in parts of the world is awful. I hope that one humans evolve past wanting to conquer people & land.

War certainly got the best of my Grandfather as he ended his own life a few years after coming home. From all reports he was a completely different person to the man he was before he first went to Korea in 54.

I'm seriously scared in the direction the club is heading with who they have even been considering picking up such as Mayne. It makes zero sense to me why on earth they would even consider him.

Can we not f*** off with free agency for a few years and recruit on our own?

With all this so called freed up cash in the salary cap, why didn't they go after a player that we need who is in the age bracket we need like Jaeger, Prestia or even Hartung.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad move definitely, but they really lost something when Trav left after Roll On. As an old skins man myself I'm probably biased, but he made those albums.

Brilliant drummer.

Agreed, Trav is an excellent drummer. He now plays in a very cool psychobilly trio called Doubleblack (along with Matt from the Fireballs, who were another cool band). Believe they've got an album about to come out. Could be well worth checking out.

TLE replaced Trav with the dude from Pollyanna, Andy Strachan. He's a talented drummer, but it's fair to say rockabilly isn't a great fit for his style. He's more of a pounding ROCK-style drummer. I actually remember seeing them play live not long after he joined and they'd clearly slowed down some of the older (Trav) songs to accommodate.

Probably a pretty pivotal moment for the band. Kinda heralded a bit of a new direction which seems to have worked out okay for them.

L7 and Cosmic Psychos playing in Melbourne on 12 October for one show only.

In the words of the Psychos Instagram account, bloody grouse!

The Psychos rule.

Last (and only) time I saw L7 play live was at the infamous Reading Festival "soiled tampon" show.

Donita Sparks = The Sudden Stampede For The Exits

At some point Titus changed his feed URL or something and I didn't bother chasing it down to resubscribe.

Enjoyed Wil Anderson's one for a while but found I was getting into the habit of skipping it when I had too much else in the queue.

Ditto with Bottom of the Pack (formerly Adrian Anderson All Stars). It's not bad but it's another one in the long list of "2-3 guys doing reviews and tips" that you can only take so much of. Been preferring the Plebs on Footy one for that lately. Is The Pleb still around?

I wanted to like the Footy Gospel and they seem like genuinely good blokes but the sound quality and rambling (usually over 2 hours) got to me in the end. I'll pick it up if they look like they have an interesting guest on. Might be better listening live if you're doing nothing on a Thursday evening and their Twitter side project Music Brownlow is fun.

Listen to a couple of AFL official ones most weeks: AFL Exchange is listenable but not as good now Drew's not on, and Matt Thompson is a dead set idiot. Road to the Draft I've been a bit surprised how entertaining it's been even in the depths of the real season months out from the actual draft.

The Outer Sanctum is a bit niche - all Hawthorn supporters and heavy on women's footy content and general latte-sipper concerns but I listen more often than not.

The Junktime podcast is by a couple of comedians and pretty good.

The Stern Look obviously (except when I'm on) and the main board pod when they can be bothered doing it are good. Despite not being much of a Bay 13 type I generally like the Flogcast.

Appreciate the advice. Really liked the junktime. The flogcast was.. erm... something to behold. But the sound quality was so poor I don't think I can stick to it.

My next random question is - why do the roos have the most active board on here? Seems odd

My next random question is - why do the roos have the most active board on here? Seems odd
Back in the olden days, the NMFC had a forum on its own website. It was pretty much unmoderated, so there was no real need to set up a separate fan forum like a lot of the other clubs had.

Anyway at some stage (probably when Stu Cochrane and Shane Clayton were put on suicide watch), the club clamped down.

Word went around the forum that the club site was closing, but Bigfooty was already set up, so most people simply transitioned over here.

TLDR: poor norf couldn't afford their own forum

I can't even fathom the horror of war. Europe in WW2 would have been hell on earth.

To think this is still going on in parts of the world is awful. I hope that one humans evolve past wanting to conquer people & land.

War certainly got the best of my Grandfather as he ended his own life a few years after coming home. From all reports he was a completely different person to the man he was before he first went to Korea in 54.
My grandfather was a returned serviceman from WW2. My father (his father-in-law) saw him one day and wondered what was wrong with him... turns out he was sober - he had never seen him sober before. He was so affected by his experience in war that the only way he could deal with it was with alcohol. Every day. Very sad. He died when I was a small child so never really got to know him.

My father's mate served in Vietnam. His job was to go into the (underground) fox holes with a gun in hand to weed out the Viet Kong. That's just insane scary s**t that will leave a permanent impression on one's psyche.

War may be commemorated but never glorified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back