\WC|Hurn, Shannon|6|3|3|0|50.00
\Sy|Kennedy, Josh P.|2|1|1|0|50.00
\Ca|Murphy, Marc|2|1|1|0|50.00
\GWS*|Davis, Phil|5|2|3|0|40.00
\GWS*|Ward, Callan|5|2|3|0|40.00
\Ge|Selwood, Joel|11|3|8|0|27.27
\Es|Heppell, Dyson|1|0|1|0|-
Pretty ugly reading for Selwood.

8. Taylor Walker - drops down the list after a very poor grand final. Apparently is the standout leader at the crows, only chance to redeem himself would be to perform on the last Saturday in September.

Tex walker at 8 is WAY to low! Top 3 for mine, his ability to play football does not affect his ability to lead a football team.

Interesting question about whether an introvert can be a leader
Absolutely, but leading by example/action isn't enough. You still have to know when to speak up and assert yourself over the group; command the respect of your men.

Looking from the outside, I think some blokes struggle with that part. They prefer to clock on > do their job & avoid conflict > clock off.

I wouldn’t. Nathan Jones is criminally underrated and has really been the only glimmer of hope from an onfield perspective over the last 8 years.

The standard he has set without getting much assistance has been remarkable. Hurn has done a stellar job as well, similar age bracket to Jones (in fact taken one pick before him) and has also seen some tough days with the Eagles, but has been a source of rigidity for so long and been a key driver in their on field resurgence.

Boak has also set an incredibly high standard for Port, and while maligned at times, has been a rock solid leader.

Fyfe is an exceptional player and leader, but to suggest he has the others covered because he said he ‘would die for the club’ is pretty rich.

Love and agree with everything you mentioned here.
Would like to know how long Ports revival would have taken after the '11/'12 failures without Boak at the helm. You could just see in every game they had the belief and he seemed to be at the absolute centre leading all of it.

Interesting question because as mentioned, we only see the leadership on TV really and aren't part of the inner sanctum.
My uncle was part of the Special Operations Group and used to be part of those leadership camps that Melbourne pulled out of this pre season. Anyway, they took Collingwood in Nick Maxwell's first season at the club when he was just a kid. Afterwards the SOG's were asked to give feedback on the camp and apparently singled out Maxwell as 'the future captain of your club'. This was laughed at by Collingwood officials who apparently didn't think he would ever play a game. Always used to think of this story when people slagged off Maxwell. Dude copped a lot of unfair criticism.

Anyway, for captains going into 2018, i'd have Cotch, Rough and probably Heppell as the 3 most significant.
Cotch was sensational leading the Tigers to victory last season.
Rough came back from cancer and apparently had limited feeling in his feet all last year as a side effect from the treatment. Still played every game and lead a second half season revival. Incredible determination and leadership qualities just to get back on the park, let alone perform well every single week.
And I was unfortunate enough to see the round 1 clash against the Bombers live last year. Heppell practically telling Brendan Goddard to * off and subsequently going back and nailing the most important goal of the game really stuck with me. For what that game meant to Essendon, this was a huge moment. Not going to pretend he is a better all round captain just yet than a Selwood or a Pendles, but going into 2018 these 3 had the most important moments as leaders in the previous season. In my opinion.

I agree about Tex, but is it wise to have Sloane given the mystery surrounding his contract status and where he ends up next year?
No it isn't. I think if Sloane does not sign on soon with Adelaide he might be as good as gone. It's a real shame for Adelaide to lose such an amazing talent, but the reality of the situation and the lure of playing for a big Victorian club.

Pretty ugly reading for Selwood.
Not really.
His performances in finals as captain are rather exemplary.

Compared to his 2012-17 combined averages his record in finals stacks up. +0.71 disposals. +0.3 tackles. +0.4 clearances. -0.97 contested possessions.
His W/L record as captain coincides with turning over 85% of our last premiership list. Nearly every other club doing the same wouldn't be playing finals and thus would have no W/L.

His record in finals as a result means not as much as many think it does.

Not really.
His performances in finals as captain are rather exemplary.

Compared to his 2012-17 combined averages his record in finals stacks up. +0.71 disposals. +0.3 tackles. +0.4 clearances. -0.97 contested possessions.
His W/L record as captain coincides with turning over 85% of our last premiership list. Nearly every other club doing the same wouldn't be playing finals and thus would have no W/L.

His record in finals as a result means not as much as many think it does.
So you don't think it's ugly reading?

So you don't think it's ugly reading?
No I don't. It's a team game yet the W/L is seemingly only attributed to the captain, which in this case has a better than solid track record personally in finals.
I'm asserting it means nothing in relation to his performance as captain.

What it means for the team and the club varies from season to season. Losses were expected in some. Unacceptable in others.

Interesting question about whether an introvert can be a leader

It is a good question and obviously the image of the 'fire and brimstone' type of captain is probably outdated.

Winning the hard ball and leading from the front in terms of tackling and one-percenters will still go a long way.

However, so much more of the modern role now seems to be, in business terms, more a project manager and analyst. When you see behind the scenes footage such as Carltons 'The Journey' the role is a lot about leading meetings, counselling, extracting information from the players and liaising back to the coaching panel (and vice-versa)

On field now, one the captains important roles will be marshaling players and directing positioning which his what Hodge seemed to do so well (and I'm not sure Murphy does).

I suppose you could be an introvert and still be very good at these roles.

It is a good question and obviously the image of the 'fire and brimstone' type of captain is probably outdated.

Winning the hard ball and leading from the front in terms of tackling and one-percenters will still go a long way.

However, so much more of the modern role now seems to be, in business terms, more a project manager and analyst. When you see behind the scenes footage such as Carltons 'The Journey' the role is a lot about leading meetings, counselling, extracting information from the players and liaising back to the coaching panel (and vice-versa)

On field now, one the captains important roles will be marshaling players and directing positioning which his what Hodge seemed to do so well (and I'm not sure Murphy does).

I suppose you could be an introvert and still be very good at these roles.
Imagine also a captain of an AFL club these days require off field interaction with sponsors, coterie groups etc

It doesn't but he played his heart out in most of the games and a lot of them were very close finals. As a Geelong supporter I understand the hate he gets but he is a fantastic captain for our club.
Selwood has carried Geelong for years, but that is the opposite of what leaders should do.
Great leaders step back and let others take responsibility so they can grow. This isn't a criticism of Selwood, he is a champion, he just isn't the type of player who should be made captain of a contending team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A misconception about introverts is that they're always shy, quiet types. Not true. I've known introverts who were loud and demanding when they needed to be-they just needed some time alone at some point.

The right introvert can be as good a leader as any extrovert, it's just that some introverts are more prone to anti-captain traits (loner, shy etc) which makes people assume that they're all like that.

Judging from afar I'd safely bet that Worsfold was an introvert (in fact I think I remember someone saying that during psych testing he was determined to be) and he was the best captain in our history and a two team AFL coach.

Never having met the guy I always thought Pavlich seemed more introverted then an extrovert. Took on the role of captain because it was asked of him and like anything else he did it to the best if his ability, with the media work being a part of that. I'm not sure he'd have sought out either role by choice.

Never having met the guy I always thought Pavlich seemed more introverted then an extrovert. Took on the role of captain because it was asked of him and like anything else he did it to the best if his ability, with the media work being a part of that. I'm not sure he'd have sought out either role by choice.
I've actually read Pavlich's book and I'd comfortably bet the bloke was an introvert. :) He did say on The Chosen Few that he always aspired to be captain at some point. Proof that some introverts do desire leadership positions. Others like Judd, Murphy and Cotchin took it upon more because they had to rather then actually seek it out.

Tex Walker is an abomination of a captain.

Shat his pants at the grand final after introducing POWERSTANCE!!! intimidation tactics that made the entire state of South Australia look like a bunch of ******* numpties.

He's s**t in the media- he comes across as a complete moron.

Moustache is crap.

0/10... He's disgusting.

You’re a flat out troll and should be suspended from this forum for contributing nothing of value than to sit back and use any opportunity to pot Geelong at any given chance.

Your level of consistent and nonsensical contribution completely underlines your inability to have any sort of serious or meaningful conversation.

I’ve even had up to 5 PMs from your own supporters apologising for your pathetic consistent diatribe of muck raking.
:thumbsu:

That’s called a runner. You can’t rely on one or two players on the whole ground to make sure the plan is being followed anyway. It takes the whole team to know it, and be able to get others back onto it.
Yet this is the reason Clarkson replaced Mitchell with Hodge, despite Mitchell being a better, more consistent and harder working player who had already led captained the team to a flag.

Comprehensive analysis
1. Joel Selwood (Geel) - Hate when he ducks but don't think anyone could argue his commitment for the pill and for Geelong
2. Trent Cotchin (Rich) - Would have rated him bottom 4 before 2017 but his finals series desperation and hardness was the best I've seen from a captain ever. Richmond never looked like losing while Cotchin was on the field.
3. Shannon Hurn (WCE) - May seem strange to some but always directing his teammates and seems to take an intercept mark in the big moments. Leadership is underrated and is a General of the defence.
4. Nat Fyfe (Fre) - Leads by example through his toughness and great at giving his team a pump up. Plays through pain. Ref. Preliminary final against Hawthorn 2015 (when he wasn't even captain)
5. Easton Wood (WB) - Reliable down back, similar to Hurn but always seems to stand up when needed. Leadership was pivotal to Bulldogs' premiership in 2016.
6. Scott Pendlebury (Coll) - Rarely lets his team down and always trying hard to get the best out of his teammates.
7. Nathan Jones (Melb) - Spiritual leader for the Dees, stayed with them through the tough times when many others would have packed up and left.
8. Taylor Walker (Adel) - Would have been higher had he stood up on Grand Final Day. Still, led his club during the hard times following Phil Walsh's passing and saw them win the minor premiership 2 years later.
9. Callan Ward (GWS) - Hard at the ball and he puts his body on the line for the team. Often found to be the only Giants player to "Never Surrender."
10. Josh Kennedy (Syd) - Carried the Swans out of a shocking first 6 rounds. Great start to his captaincy.
11. Travis Boak (PA) - Output has been done in recent seasons from his heroics in 2013-14 but still the key figure at the Power.
12. Jarryn Geary (St K)- By no means the most talented footballer, throws his body around defensively around even when faced with danger. Plays purely for the team, never for himself.
13. Jarryd Roughead (Haw) - Tough to assess given he was still finding his feet last year after battling cancer but was clutch when needed (Goal from 50 against the Swans at SCG)
14. Steven May (GC) - Similar to Jones, doesn't leave even with better options at his feet.
15. Dayne Beams (Bris) - Has suffered mountains of injuries, so hard to judge but always fights hard. Should be assisted by the introduction of Hodge to ease his load.
16. Dyson Heppell (Ess) - Clutch but not sold on his ability to lift the team.
17. Jack Viney (Melb) - Led by example in 2016 but injury plagued his 2017 and thus didn't get a great run at 2017. Still room to improve.
18. Marc Murphy (Carl) - Can wear 'em but injury really prevented him from getting a good run at captaincy and has been disappointing since obtaining it. Similar to Trent Cotchin (prior to 2017), inability to lift for his team.
19. Jack Ziebell (NM) - Does the courageous but also reckless and stupid. Uncertain if he's a good role model for a young team.
20. Tom Lynch (GC) - Should have dispelled all chances of leaving the Suns but has not.
21. Phil Davis (GWS) - Blames his own players and often found having verbal disputes with other players on the field. Loses out due to this aspect, despite being a very good full back.

Selwood has carried Geelong for years, but that is the opposite of what leaders should do.
Great leaders step back and let others take responsibility so they can grow. This isn't a criticism of Selwood, he is a champion, he just isn't the type of player who should be made captain of a contending team.

Probably a valid criticism although I don't agree with your last sentence. We do not seem to have done enough to develop leadership in our playing group.

Following on from the rate the coaches thread, thought I’d have a go at ranking the captains. Not an easy task however below is my list.

1. Joel Selwood - universally acknowledged as the best captain in the comp.

2. Trent Cotchin - who would have thought this 12 months ago however his 2017 was unbelievable, capped off by one of the most inspiring September’s you’d want to see from a captain. Battering ram.

3. Josh Kennedy - seems to be an inspiring type who leads with his actions.

4. Callan Ward - dual captain with Phil Davis however I rate him higher. Another inspirational skipper who always puts his body on the line.

5. Eastern Wood - led his team to a flag 18 months ago filling in for the injured bob Murphy. Very courageous player who you’d imagine would inspire, would want to have his teambounce back this year.

6. Jared Roughhead - only been skipper for a year so hard to judge however much loved by all so you’d think his teammates would run through a brick wall for the big fella.

7. Scott Pendlebury - classy player who always lifts when his team needs him.

8. Taylor Walker - drops down the list after a very poor grand final. Apparently is the standout leader at the crows, only chance to redeem himself would be to perform on the last Saturday in September.

9. Travis Boak - another inspiring leader although seemed to have an inconsistent last couple of years.

10. Shannon Hurn - mr dependable who has led the eagles for a few years.

11. Nathan Jones - another dual captain who bleeds for his club. Hopefully for his sake greener days are ahead for his team.

12. Nat Fyfe - elite player who has battled injury the last couple of years. Doesn’t come across as a natural leader and still growing in the role.

13. Dayne Beams - class player who by all reports is a very good captain.

14. Marc Murphy - another who doesn’t seem a natural leader who you’d think would hand over the captaincy to cripps in the next year or 2.

15. Jack Ziebel - no one could ever doubt this blokes courage although is guilty of sometimes doing silly things. No other standout replacement at the Kangas.

16. Jarryn Geary - apparently very well liked and probably the lowest profile of the afl captains.

17. Dyson Heppel - knockabout type who is very well liked. Has taken over the captaincy after a very tough few years for the club.

18. Tom Lynch/Steven May - don’t know much about their captaincy so have to rate them last.

Basically the only two attributes you actually mention in this entire post is inspriation and courage. You dont actually define what inspiration is or provide any examples.

Here is an 18 pt plan on why your list means dick.

1. Universal except for club captains of the last 2 years. What is it about him that you think makes him rhe best or are you a follow the leader type guy?

2. Having a good season has dick to do with being a good captain or youd rotate based on brownlow votes or BnF. What was actually inspiring about his performances? There's plenty but you dont actually make examples from a leadership perspective.

3. Seems to be inspiring. What makes it 'seem' that way? This is probably the least s**t and most to do with actual leadership so far so he should be your number one.

4. On par with Kennedy. Inspiration again. No qualification. You discount the other captain so they are no longer a captain. Cool. Phil Davis should still be on the list given tha, you know, its a rating game.

5. Flags mean * all to a captaincy. A bloke playing in a s**t team may never win a flag - doesnt mean he is a s**t captain. Flags shouldnt enhance a leadership conversation, just a contract or hall of fame discussion. Oh and he wants his side to do well? Guess that puts him in a 20 odd way tie with other clubs' captains. But hang on, he is inspiring. Just not as inspiring as the blokes ahead of him. Somehow.

6. Don't know much about him so ill put him top 6 cos i reckon he's a top bloke. Oh, the boys like him so that works in his favour. Is there a club captain out there that isnt well liked/respected?

7. This is again entirely subjective but probably 3rd if we are just using posts that actually somehow link to captaincy.

8. Had a s**t game, somehow is now a poor captain. Even though ability has nothing to do with leadership. Also s**t unless he wins a flag. Not inspiring. Should be lower really.

9. Boak is inconsistent therefore is a bit average. Tex is one position above him based on one game. Boak is inspiring though so should be above Tex.

10. Plays well and has been captain for a while. Sure does put him in his own league. Lotta fresh faces in this list.

11. Jones loves his club exactly 11th amounts.

12. Fyfe got injured so he cant perform so therefore cant be a good captain. Captains only exist on field and should know better than to get injured. Cant remember a time where he played through his injury in a finals series. Oh wait, yes i can. Not inspiring though. Lower.

13. Good player. Apparently good captain. Ill put him 13th, 7 places below the guy i openly admitted knowing * all about his leadership capabilities. Play finals, noob.

14. Not a natural leader. Not going to actually explain the reasoning for this or the fact he has had the role for 5 years. So much worse than a bloke i dont know anything about.

15. Guy makes errors. Captains dont make errors. There is apparently literally noone else at the Kangas and yet he is still better than 3 other captains. Anything about his leadership skills? No? Ok.

16. People like him. I dont know him. 16th sounds about right.

17. He is also well liked. Still second worst. Kinda starting to think that captains are generally well liked. I like how you justified your split of Geary and Heppell.

18. Dont know anything about these two. Therefore they must be last. 12 places below the other guy i dont know anything about. Because.

Interesting that you allowed this pairing to both exist on your list but not other dual captains.

Can you see, looking back at your vague, nondescript ratings that this list is worth nothing?

A better conversation would have been about what actually makes a good captain. What attributes do they have, personality, charity, on field/offfield leadership etc.

Footballing ability has zero to do with it. Flags have zero to do with it. If they do, it becomes instantly biased against a captain of a poor team. Which is useless data.

Leading by example isnt 3 votes all the time. It might just be laying that tackle, putting your head over it in a clutch moment, mentoring young guys, gut busting runs for no reward.

Most here dont have a clue and seem to think that the quality of a captain is their win/loss record. It aint so. Anyone with a clue will tell you that.

Basically the only two attributes you actually mention in this entire post is inspriation and courage. You dont actually define what inspiration is or provide any examples.

1. Universal except for club captains of the last 2 years. What is it about him that you think makes him rhe best or are you a follow the leader type guy?

2. Having a good season has dick to do with being a good captain or youd rotate based on brownlow votes or BnF. What was actually inspiring about his performances? There's plenty but you dont actually make examples from a leadership perspective.

3. Seems to be inspiring. What makes it 'seem' that way? This is probably the least s**t and most to do with actual leadership so far so he should be your number one.

4. On par with Kennedy. Inspiration again. No qualification. You discount the other captain so they are no longer a captain. Cool. Phil Davis should still be on the list given tha, you know, its a rating game.

5. Flags mean **** all to a captaincy. A bloke playing in a s**t team may never win a flag - doesnt mean he is a s**t captain. Flags shouldnt enhance a leadership conversation, just a contract or hall of fame discussion. Oh and he wants his side to do well? Guess that puts him in a 20 odd way tie with other clubs' captains. But hang on, he is inspiring. Just not as inspiring as the blokes ahead of him. Somehow.

6. Don't know much about him so ill put him top 6 cos i reckon he's a top bloke. Oh, the boys like him so that works in his favour. Is there a club captain out there that isnt well liked/respected?

7. This is again entirely subjective but probably 3rd if we are just using posts that actually somehow link to captaincy.

8. Had a s**t game, somehow is now a poor captain. Even though ability has nothing to do with leadership. Also s**t unless he wins a flag. Not inspiring. Should be lower really.

9. Boak is inconsistent therefore is a bit average. Tex is one position above him based on one game. Boak is inspiring though so should be above Tex.

10. Plays well and has been captain for a while. Sure does put him in his own league. Lotta fresh faces in this list.

12. Fyfe got injured so he cant perform so therefore cant be a good captain. Captains only exist on field and should know better than to get injured. Cant remember a time where he played through his injury in a finals series. Oh wait, yes i can. Not inspiring though. Lower.

13. Good player. Apparently good captain. Ill put him 13th, 7 places below the guy i openly admitted knowing **** all about his leadership capabilities. Play finals, noob.

14. Not a natural leader. Not going to actually explain the reasoning for this or the fact he has had the role for 5 years. So much worse than a bloke i dont know anything about.

15. Guy makes errors. Captains dont make errors. There is apparently literally noone else at the Kangas and yet he is still better than 3 other captains. Anything about his leadership skills? No? Ok.

17. He is also well liked. Still second worst. Kinda starting to think that captains are generally well liked. I like how you justified your split of Geary and Heppell.

18. Dont know anything about these two. Therefore they must be last. 12 places below the other guy i dont know anything about. Because.

Interesting that you allowed this pairing to both exist on your list but not other dual captains.

Can you see, looking back at your vague, nondescript ratings that this list is worth nothing?

A better conversation would have been about what actually makes a good captain. What attributes do they have, personality, charity, on field/offfield leadership etc.

Footballing ability has zero to do with it. Flags have zero to do with it. If they do, it becomes instantly biased against a captain of a poor team. Which is useless data.

Leading by example isnt 3 votes all the time. It might just be laying that tackle, putting your head over it in a clutch moment, mentoring young guys, gut busting runs for no reward.

Most here dont have a clue and seem to think that the quality of a captain is their win/loss record. It aint so. Anyone with a clue will tell you that.
Sorry stopped reading after your first point, watch the grand final(I know that will be tough for you) and let me know what you think of Tex Walker. Probably the worst grand final performance by a captain in recent memory.

No I don't. It's a team game yet the W/L is seemingly only attributed to the captain,

Well, great captains are supposed to inspire the rest of the team to lift in difficult situations.

Joel Selwood has the best H/A record in the league, but the worst finals W/L record in the league.

This is an unbelievable stat.

Individually, he performs in big games, but as a leader he consistently fails to inspire his teammates to play at their peak too.

What good is a leader who performs well individually while his teammates consistently perform worse in finals?

That’s the #1 job of a leader, and Selwood fails.

Well, great captains are supposed to inspire the rest of the team to lift in difficult situations.

Joel Selwood has the best H/A record in the league, but the worst finals W/L record in the league.

This is an unbelievable stat.

Individually, he performs in big games, but as a leader he consistently fails to inspire his teammates to play at their peak too.

What good is a leader who performs well individually while his teammates consistently perform worse in finals?

That’s the #1 job of a leader, and Selwood fails.
Complete pish. I am dumber for reading this.
Again. Turned over most of a premiership list and missed finals once.

Selwood is not the issue.

5. Flags mean **** all to a captaincy. A bloke playing in a s**t team may never win a flag - doesnt mean he is a s**t captain. Flags shouldnt enhance a leadership conversation, just a contract or hall of fame discussion. Oh and he wants his side to do well? Guess that puts him in a 20 odd way tie with other clubs' captains. But hang on, he is inspiring. Just not as inspiring as the blokes ahead of him. Somehow.

13. Good player. Apparently good captain. Ill put him 13th, 7 places below the guy i openly admitted knowing **** all about his leadership capabilities. Play finals, noob.

Wow, long post. I didn’t read it

Just wanted to say you need to watch the Grand Final, because Tex’s reputation has gone up in smoke.

“not so tough now”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back