Lack of forwards as captains

Remove this Banner Ad

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Who's in, who's out? Your club's captains, leadership group for 2023 - Who's in, who's out? Your club's captains, leadership group for 2023

A thought occurred to me today: it seems a ton of team captains are defenders or midfielders. Probably more backs than mids too. Only forward captain I think is Toby Greene from GWS. It doesn't seem to be coincidence: do backs coordinate the team a bit more than forwards do? I mean mids tend to get more of the play, but interesting how there are so many backs, including full backs, who are captains but only one real forward, who interestingly is also a small forward.

Who's in, who's out? Your club's captains, leadership group for 2023 - Who's in, who's out? Your club's captains, leadership group for 2023

A thought occurred to me today: it seems a ton of team captains are defenders or midfielders. Probably more backs than mids too. Only forward captain I think is Toby Greene from GWS. It doesn't seem to be coincidence: do backs coordinate the team a bit more than forwards do? I mean mids tend to get more of the play, but interesting how there are so many backs, including full backs, who are captains but only one real forward, who interestingly is also a small forward.

Big reason IMO is you get to see the whole game from the back half.

Similar to soccer. Centre halves are probably the most common position for captain's followed by mids and forwards the least.

Defenders stereotypically are more reliant on being hard workers, good clubman, team work etc rather than pure natural ability/flair of the forward line. I'm sure alot of the above values would be highly regarded from a leadership perspective internally among clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back