Review Rd 16: Freo holds on against Port

Remove this Banner Ad

These pages are the way they were outlayed on the digital edition of the west on the app. so parts of the ratings is missing and so is the other story down the bottom of the page. Nothing I could do about it.

Attachments

• 4E45861C-A553-4E52-B121-EF4FE271E4EE.png
    4E45861C-A553-4E52-B121-EF4FE271E4EE.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 169
  • EB5D3FA2-7CC8-4392-A144-72D7B065E9B5.png
    EB5D3FA2-7CC8-4392-A144-72D7B065E9B5.png
    876.7 KB · Views: 168
These pages are the way they were outlayed on the digital edition of the west on the app. so parts of the ratings is missing and so is the other story down the bottom of the page. Nothing I could do about it.

Embarrassed Shame GIF

I hope not. He's such a beautiful kick of a football.
I was at the game, then watched the replay at home. Walker mightn't have a 'complete' game yet, e.g.in the tackles and pressure department, but he's speedy as, agile, evasive - and yes a lovely kick.

The rest will probably come. Meanwhile there's plenty to appreciate in his game.

I might get crucified for saying this in here but I must say the umpire whinging in the game day thread is becoming a bit insufferable, umpires are poor 90% of the time but it gets old reading the same post again and again when half of them are actually the correct call. In reality, the reason we are losing at times is because of our own midfield that takes time to wake up, we need to settle a bit before we get a bit of a reputation.
The umpires really had us on the back foot at the start of the game so it sort of set the tone and I can understand why some people were getting upset. It was 6-1 frees and every 50/50 was in there favour despite us cracking in and having double the tackles. They then starting trying to rob us of goals too by calling a 55m bullet touched. To be fair, they evened it up and started giving us wrong decisions too later in the game, eg. Tabs 'mark' that was knocked down by Lobb. Overall I think there were a raft of inconsistencies both ways.

All game day threads have umpire complaints in them, we're a long way from having our own Plugger get a rep around here.

I would love to see free kicks tracked with the scoring worm. They are so important in modern footy, it can be the reason why teams start scoring or can even hold off a better team.

More concerning was his tackling, piss weak!
The man has had multiple major surgeries for heaven's sake. For all we know he could've been cautioned by surgeons not to even continue playing.

He looks as if he is working out the best ways and times to use his body, which is sensible. Not surprisingly he hasn't been able to step 'straight back in' to his his previous role (less alone form)', and it's a positive sign of the development of our youngsters.

He had moments of effectiveness all day - plus a goal.

Fact checking not a thing at the West anymore. Tabs didn't go goalless, he kicked 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shooter owes him a beer for that one.

I'm still shaking my head at that.
WTF was he thinking? Logue had that covered...he had his man beaten and the ball coming over the back

Firstly Schultz needed to keep his man away from the contest...secondly, he needed to crumb the ball...

Did he do that? No...he tried to take mark of the year, killed Logue in the process, took himself out of the contest, and Port ran off with the ball...if there was another 30 seconds on the clock we may have lost the game.

What a block head

That one where the Port player got tackled and he set the ball on the ground infront of their goals was shocking.

One of the worst "non" decisions I have ever seen. The guy got tackled and stood there for an eternity, then went down and dropped the ball. Nothing to see according to the umps and then Port pick the ball up and kick a goal??

Amateurish and incompetent to say the least.

Darcy was getting queried a bit in the game thread and this thread wasnt he? Coaches thought he and Lobb were best two on ground

Makes sense, doubled the next best in hitouts to advantage, lead the field in score involvements, score launches and total clearances.

Helps when he isn't sick.

We had 4 backs and 0.5+0.5 forwards who didn't lay a tackle all game.

Clark, Cox, Wilson, Pearce and Tabs, Banfield. 4 backs not laying a tackle is deplorable. Particularly for Wilson and Clark.
And this is why we can’t have 2 of Wilson and Clarke. They are modern day rebounding defenders who don’t actually defend.

And this is why we can’t have 2 of Wilson and Clarke. They are modern day rebounding defenders who don’t actually defend.
Lucky we don't have a Clarke.

I do think it's a bit misleading to say they don't defend, both had some very good defensive moments, even if they play attacking / rebounding styles.

But in general yes you need defensive balance, and Walker is showing good promise as a lockdown defender, but also shows attacking ability so from a list POV is great.
As mentioned he continues to build in certain areas like one touch football and decision making.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back