Review Rd 16: Freo holds on against Port

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the worst "non" decisions I have ever seen. The guy got tackled and stood there for an eternity, then went down and dropped the ball. Nothing to see according to the umps and then Port pick the ball up and kick a goal??

Amateurish and incompetent to say the least.
The problem is the holding the ball rule is the hardest to adjudicate in the game. What exactly is “insufficient attempt”? What exactly is “prior opportunity “? What exactly is “illegal disposal”?
Almost think the murky area is the wording of the rule because umpires have to make split second judgment calls. I know I couldn’t do it.

Another positive that doesn't seem to have been mentioned much is some good goalkicking.
Outside of that one unfortunate miss from Lobb and 2 hail Mary attempts from Schultz (OOB) I can't think of many misses.

Port were actually very accurate too, they just had 3 quite bad misses in the last quarter that would have stung a lot.

The problem is the holding the ball rule is the hardest to adjudicate in the game. What exactly is “insufficient attempt”? What exactly is “prior opportunity “? What exactly is “illegal disposal”?
Almost think the murky area is the wording of the rule because umpires have to make split second judgment calls. I know I couldn’t do it.
Yeah there's multiple problems - a hard to adjudicate rule, changes in rule interpretation over the years and inconsistent umpiring.

If you break that particular decision down I don't think he had prior opportunity to dispose, but then it should have been covered as incorrect disposal.
It wasn't a legal attempt to dispose and the ball wasn't knocked out in the tackle, it was placed on the ground.
The question I'd have is could the umpire see that or were they blindsided and thought it could have been knocked out.

We had a number of non-HTB calls against us that felt pretty unlucky.
The measure for me is when all the players stop, that's a good indication it's pretty clear cut, and that happened at least twice.

Last edited:
Yeah there's multiple problems - a hard to adjudicate rule, changes in rule interpretation over the years and inconsistent umpiring.

If you break that particular decision down I don't think he had prior opportunity to dispose, but then it should have been covered as illegal disposal.
The ball wasn't knocked out in the tackle it was placed on the ground, the question I'd have is could the umpire see that or were they blindsided and thought it could have been knocked out.

We had a number of non-HTB calls against us that felt pretty unlucky.
The measure for me is when all the players stop, that's a good indication it's pretty clear cut, and that happened at least twice.

I have said it for years. Bring back illegal disposal and none of this knocked out in the tackle bullshit and you eliminate a lot of the grey area.

I have said it for years. Bring back illegal disposal and none of this knocked out in the tackle bullshit and you eliminate a lot of the grey area.
The rules still contain incorrect disposal.

If you take out dropped in the tackle you just end up with more stoppages as the player fights to hold the ball.
Also if a player gets tackled to the ground and then an opposition player manages to grab it or knock it out, is that holding the ball?

If you takeaway prior disposal players won't grab the ball as much they'll just kick it or tap it off the ground.

There's a reason the rule has constantly changed, yet no one is ever satisfied, it's hard.

One of the worst "non" decisions I have ever seen. The guy got tackled and stood there for an eternity, then went down and dropped the ball. Nothing to see according to the umps and then Port pick the ball up and kick a goal??

Amateurish and incompetent to say the least.
Agree 100%, but the flip side of this is our guys have got to start playing to the whistle. This is the second time where we have "expected" an obvious free kick and the opposition have just waltzed in for a goal. You just have to stay involved until you hear the whistle.

The rules still contain incorrect disposal.

That may be so but how often is it paid? Other than a clear throw you may see an incorrect disposal call once a month if you are lucky.

Does anyone know the stat of our goal kicking accuracy this year as compared to last year?

Feel like we have gotten much better in this area overall.

Does anyone know the stat of our goal kicking accuracy this year as compared to last year?

Feel like we have gotten much better in this area overall.
Lobb has 27.13, Fyfe 2.2, Shultz 21.14 = 50.29

Compared to last year, 20.19, 6.21, 22.17 = 48.57

There's a huge turnaround with just 3 players.

Watched the replay today, my views in hindsight:

- The 4th quarter was poor but there was a crazy 3 minute period where Charlie Dixon entered beast mode and pounced. A couple of fumbles from us is all we did wrong in that brief period. The 4th and 5th goal (and final 2 missed shots) against us though we're inexcusable - we had time to reset and our structure fell apart, we looked absolutely buggered though.

- Clark and Aish absolutely scintillating in the absence of Acres and Chapmam. Aish we know about but not enough praise for Clark. His efforts weren't loved on here by many in the opening rounds but he's built into an incredibly dynamic half-back, it's like he's a perfect mix of Walker's speed and agility, Wilson's ability to break lines and pump it forward but also handy enough in the air like Yoing and Chappy. What an incredible pick-up, indeed since all the big ego-trip trades from 2015-2018 (Bennell, Hogan, McCarthy) we haven't put a foot wrong.

- Mundy: What a sigh of relief to see the man setting us up so well, particularly that 2nd quarter burst when we jetted out to 25pts clear - seemed to be involved in many scoring plays from the centre. IMO he's still an essential player and his experience will be invaluable come finals.

- We won this game from the back-half - yes Lobb was our sole destroyer up front but it was our defensive/rebound in Pearce/Cox/Ryan/Young/Wilson/Clark/Aish/Walker who really secured us the points in the end. That wins flags.

- Great crowd of 40k plus. After sitting in stadiums barely able to crack 30k the last 5 years it's pleasing to see people head out to the footy. Let's hope the newbies like the atmosphere and stay for good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fremantle midfielder Caleb Serong has been charged with Rough Conduct by the AFL's Match Review Officer and faces a fine of $3000 with an early plea.

The incident occurred in the fourth quarter with a dangerous tackle against Port Adelaide's Connor Rozee during Fremantle's eight point win at Optus Stadium in round 16.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct, Low Impact and High Contact. The incident was assessed as a $5000 sanction as a second offence. Serong can accept a $3000 sanction with an early plea.

Fremantle midfielder Caleb Serong has been charged with Rough Conduct by the AFL's Match Review Officer and faces a fine of $3000 with an early plea.

The incident occurred in the fourth quarter with a dangerous tackle against Port Adelaide's Connor Rozee during Fremantle's eight point win at Optus Stadium in round 16.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct, Low Impact and High Contact. The incident was assessed as a $5000 sanction as a second offence. Serong can accept a $3000 sanction with an early plea.

Not much else he could do as Rozee just keeps on breaking the tackle & momentum does thee rest. Port didn't even assess him for concussion (which I hope they have a please explain) so not sure why he has a case to answer.

Watched the replay today, my views in hindsight:

- The 4th quarter was poor but there was a crazy 3 minute period where Charlie Dixon entered beast mode and pounced. A couple of fumbles from us is all we did wrong in that brief period. The 4th and 5th goal (and final 2 missed shots) against us though we're inexcusable - we had time to reset and our structure fell apart, we looked absolutely buggered though.

- Clark and Aish absolutely scintillating in the absence of Acres and Chapmam. Aish we know about but not enough praise for Clark. His efforts weren't loved on here by many in the opening rounds but he's built into an incredibly dynamic half-back, it's like he's a perfect mix of Walker's speed and agility, Wilson's ability to break lines and pump it forward but also handy enough in the air like Yoing and Chappy. What an incredible pick-up, indeed since all the big ego-trip trades from 2015-2018 (Bennell, Hogan, McCarthy) we haven't put a foot wrong.

- Mundy: What a sigh of relief to see the man setting us up so well, particularly that 2nd quarter burst when we jetted out to 25pts clear - seemed to be involved in many scoring plays from the centre. IMO he's still an essential player and his experience will be invaluable come finals.

- We won this game from the back-half - yes Lobb was our sole destroyer up front but it was our defensive/rebound in Pearce/Cox/Ryan/Young/Wilson/Clark/Aish/Walker who really secured us the points in the end. That wins flags.

- Great crowd of 40k plus. After sitting in stadiums barely able to crack 30k the last 5 years it's pleasing to see people head out to the footy. Let's hope the newbies like the atmosphere and stay for good.
Not sure why it bugs me, but the McCarthy trade might go down as our best ever so really shouldn't be in a list of bad ones. Pick 3 (Taranto) for McCarthy, Logue, Darcy, Cox & Ryan. Without that trade, we aren't even making the finals this year.

What a ****ing joke

This league has turned into the fairy league

Agree. The rule needs an overhaul.

Just make it really easy for the umps.

Here what I would do I if was King for just one day...

I would instruct the ump that if the player is being tackled and the movement isn't to get rid of it (correctly) - that's ball.

Any incorrect disposal - ball

Standing up in a tackle for half an hour won't cut it, nor will getting swung around like a Hills Hoist.

Duckling, dropping at the knees is prior - any legal tackle regardless of whether it slips up/down the umps pay the 1st free-kick, which is holding the ball.

Players who ''plays for a free' - diving, ducking, flopping, dropping, rocking, mopping - miss a week.

'Riding a tackle' is fine as long as your movement is to dispose of the ball (correctly).

Fending off is fine as long as you aren't correctly tackled. Any correct tackle is holding the ball - the fend-off being prior opportunity.

ta daa

fixed.

* that.
Thats a challenge

Remove this Banner Ad

Back